“No Airconditioning” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Banff Voyager Inn

You added Banff Voyager Inn to your Saves list
Banff Voyager Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   555 Banff Avenue, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1B5, Canada   |
Ranked #31 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Vancouver BC
“No Airconditioning”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

I was mostly disappointed with the hotel but then again we only really spent the nights in the room. The front desk staff were very friendly. There are no elevators so keep you luggage light. There is no airconditioning in the whole building. There are no refrigerators in the rooms. Not having any airconditioning we were advised to open our balcony doors to keep cool, but the screen door did not have a lock so that was out. so we kept it open until we were going to sleep and then closed it. Luckily it was not hot the two nights we were there. The pool is okay and the hot tub was working. It was more or less comfortable though. don;t expect too much from the breakfast aside from yogurt and muffins and coffe.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Otaki
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2009

I was revisiting Banff, having been there 44 years ago, travelling then on a very tight budget. My check in was done efficiently, the girl, while courteous, didn't offer too much information regarding buses and the like. Although the hotel was 15 minutes into town, it was a very pleasant walk. My room was an average size, but quiet, clean and the bed comfortable. Breakfast, which was included in the tariff, was ok, but orange jiuce would have been very acceptable. Overall, it was good value.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
exeter
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

This was the cheapest room we could get in Banff by a long way so we weren't sure what to expect but we were pleasantly surprised.

Checkin was very efficient and friendly. The room was a good size with a big separate dressing area. The bathroom was large with loads of towels. Everything was very clean, just old fashioned and a bit worn. The worst thing was a huge damp patch on the ceiling. Otherwise the room was fine and better than we expected. It was also very quiet with no traffic or guest noise, but we were right at the end of the corridor so this may not be the case elsewhere.

One thing I would point out is that the hotel is the furthest away from the centre of town so be prepared for a longish walk.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

My mom remembers this hotel being built when she was a young girl. I can only imagine it hasn't changed much since then, if at all. I kind of love it here, because it's so unapologetically old-fashioned, from the decor to the "Voyageur" lounge.

The only true downside is that it was a pretty noisy stay. Our balcony (of the "Honeymoon" suite) overlooked the pool/back parking lot where the tour buses were parked, and they revved up around seven AM, waking me up. Also, you could hear everyone coming and going from their respective rooms, and I'm pretty sure there were elephants staying above us. My boyfriend slept through all these distractions, however.

The whirlpool in our room was absolutely wonderful. It was extremely clean, and big enough for two or three people. The room itself was huge, the biggest one on our wing judging by the floor plans, but some of the other rooms (as seen from the hallway) looked pretty tiny.

The bed was very noisy, but not uncomfortable. The linens were STARCHED!! It sounded like I was getting into a bed of newspaper, but in a minute or two, they softened up. The pillows were above-average, which was a lovely surprise.

We were extremely pleased with the Restaurant, when we went there for breakfast. Very reasonable prices, for Banff and for non-resort towns. The server we had was very accomodating to our rush, and the food pretty great.

We had a great stay here for one evening, but I am not sure if we would return. There are so many other hotels in Banff for a similar price-range that I would want to try out some others to get a better comparison for value. I'm sure that ours was probably on the larger side for the money we paid, and that not many others would have an in-room whirlpool!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Edmonton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

Booked last minute and enjoyed a clean and comfortable stay.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Donegal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2009

I stayed here for 3 days during a trip in the Rockies. The first thing that struck me about it was that it's quite far from the centre of Banff, about 15 minutes walk. As long as the weather is clear it's a nice walk into town though so that didn't bother me too much.

It was the cheapest room I could find in Banff and for the price the room was excellent, 2 big beds and everything was clean and comfortable. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't have any problems with noise in the room as it was overlooking the main road. The staff were friendly and the breakfast included in the price was ok but small.

If you don't mind the distance from town I would recommend it, it's nothing fancy but great value.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Gold Coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

I stayed here for four nights early last December. When I arrived the staff were friendly and helpful. The room was spacious and the ammenities were satisfactory. The restaurant and lounge also had a great ambiance and served decent foor. The indoor whirlpool and sauna was also a bonus. This was all less than $80 a night too. The only downside with my stay at the hotel was the distance outside of town. It was 10mins walk from downtown, but there was a bus that stops outside the hotel twice an hour, so this wasn't too much of an issue at all. Overall I'd have to say that I was extremely impressed with my stay and would go back there again.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo

Been to Banff Voyager Inn? Share your experiences!