“Pleasant Surprise at Banff.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Banff Rocky Mountain Resort

Save Saved
You added Banff Rocky Mountain Resort to your Saves list
Banff Rocky Mountain Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   1029 Banff Avenue, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1A2, Canada   |
Ranked #18 of 33 Hotels in Banff
Orange, Australia
“Pleasant Surprise at Banff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed two nights at the resort. Got an upgrade on arrival. Big two storey apartment with full facilities. Very clean, modern decor with very comfortable beds. The staff were very helpful and friendly and we had good meals in the bar and the room.
The only thing is its about 2 or 3 kms from Banff proper. Can be of benefit though as we sat on the verandah relaxing in the late afternoons watching the ever busy chipmunks in the trees and listening to bugling bull elk calling through the forest at the back of our room.
Would I stay there again? Definitely.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Livingston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Having read the reviews on here we were certainly wondering what the Time Share was going to be like.
As we pulled up in our RV you realise that this is not some huge resort, more cosy.
As for comments on here about poor reception staff I have no idea who they were talking about, we were met by 3 well presented, friendly and very helpful people. In fact all the way through our stay the reception staff have been great, even at 3am in the morning when some ignorant guest with a huge motor home decided to start his generator, staff were quick to respond and got him off site.
We had a 2 bedroom unit over the road, these are the non renovated units, yes they are a little old, nothing major to worry about though.
The units have a large kitchen, ample space for 4 people and plenty of places to store everything. They may not have the latest flat screen TV's or air conditioning but you don't come to the Rockies to watch TV, and if you have to then TV still works.
The WiFi to a lot of people is essential and is very good.
The BAR staff...well what to say............A fantastic bunch of people, all with a smile and a cheery hello when you go in, these guys and girls are from all around the world so take 5 minutes to speak to them, you get back what you put in with people we find.
The bar staff and chef I was speaking to have a lot of enthusiasm for this place and some good ideas, i.e. make the bar into a proper sports bar, as they say this resort is the 1st place anyone see's coming off the highway so make it more appealing.
Everybody else on site was as friendly as these guys and always spoke.
The pool / sauna area needs a bit of freshening up and having the laundry access through the bar area is either genius or really strange depending on your opinion, personally I would lose it or move it.
This place certainly has potential and I would be more than willing to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Room was clean and bed comfy! However when I booked the room I wasn't advised we would be away from the main hotel. We had a place across the road. The breakfeast was nothing to brag about. Restaurant seemed old and needed to be updated..one small old toaster for everyone. Front staff was wonderful and helpful though. We got back at 3:30 and our room was still not cleaned. However the front desk was very accommodating in getting us clean towels. Would not recommend this to anyone.

Room Tip: Some rooms are not in the main hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

This place is very average. I would not stay here again. It is very much set up for winter stays. There is no air-conditioning and the 2nd-floor room was hot and stuffy all night. It comes with a desk fan and we had to have the window open with the fan in front of it blowing all night in order to be able to breathe. The beds were very soft and old. When we complained about both of these things to whomever was on the desk at night and asked if we could have another room, he was very rude and said that all the rooms were the same. We didn't spend much time in the room anyway since we spent all the time out exploring beautiful Banff park.

The hotel is located far from the town center. This may be good or bad depending on what you want. We picked this place because it was one of the cheapest options. I think I'd pay a bit more next time and get a better place.

Breakfast at the hotel was OK. The dining area looks like it hasn't had a remodel in a long time. Did not use the pool or spa so can't comment on that. Front desk staff was very nice during the day.

Room Tip: No AC in any rooms. Beds are soft.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Last week was our second stay at the resort and altogether we have stayed in three different units. The staff is very helpful, personable, and engaging. The shuttle service is an absolute plus. All the units are very comfortable and very clean and the grounds are so well kept and pretty. Also went to breakfast at Peppers Grille one morning on our last visit which was very good and priced well. We stayed for a week in a 2 bedroom condo on our first visit with another couple and had room to spare.The kitchen with large pantry were great as we prepared most of our meals. During our last visit, we stayed in two different units. The executive suite was very nice; our unit on the end upstairs had windows on the vaulted ceiling side which could be left open for wonderful mountain views. It had a full size fridge, bar sink, cabinets, table and chairs. The front desk provided a microwave upon request. All three units had plenty of storage, closets, and counter space in the bathrooms. Our junior suite accommodation was a little dark. Even though it was on the end, there was a utility unit attached to the building and therefore the extra window beside the bed shown on the website pictures was eliminated.

Room Tip: If you book a junior suite, I would recommend getting an upgrade or making sure the reserved unit is...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Banff, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I got married at the Rocky Mountain Resort this past weekend.

Everything came together just like we expected. We have absolutely no complaints.

From the initial contact with Kristen in sales to the tasting arranged by Sonam and Chef Stephen, we were well aware what we were getting ourselves into. What we did not know is that everyone would go above and beyond their regular duties to ensure we had absolutely nothing to worry about!

The food from our Island Theme Buffet was fabulous! People complimented us numerous times throughout the night and kept asking us if it was ok to go for seconds.

Our hotel accommodations were also great. The Wolf Condos are newly renovated and very nice.

The front desk staff, particularly Ben, James and Emma were very friendly and extremely competent!

Come to the Rocky Mountain Resort to stay, or have your wedding here. They can guarantee you service with a smile...

Thank you all for these unforgettable memories we will cherish forever!

• Stayed September 2013
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Our group of 5 (two parents & their two kids 7 & 9 from Calgary, and a visiting aunt from Ontario....me) stayed here for two nights, September 12th and 13th. We booked a two bedroom suite/condo and it was fabulous for our needs. I phoned ahead and did request a recently renovated room if possible and the unit we did get was pristine....the wallpaper, bathrooms, everything looked very fresh and new. The layout of the unit was great as it was two floors. The main floor had a living room, full kitchen and bathroom with a beautiful tiled shower with glass door. As well there was a large outdoor deck off of the living room. Upstairs there were two bedrooms and a full bathroom. There was a large closet in the hall on the main floor and a large closet in the hallway upstairs and nice pine dressers in the bedrooms. As others have mentioned the rooms all small BUT the set up of the condo was perfect and for touring through Banff National Park it was super convenient. We had brought food with us for breakfasts and dinners at the condo and made picnic lunches to go for our day trips. There were three really nice gas BBQ’s for use in the BBQ area which was really just a step away from our unit...my nephew was particularly impressed with the BBQ's so he said to make sure I mentioned them in my review. I don’t understand other comments about the pool being dirty as the pool and hot tub were very clean when we were there. The kids certainly enjoyed the pool after touring around in the van all day. My nephew and his family had to get back to Calgary on the night of the 14th but as this was the first time that I had ever seen the Rocky Mountains (or any mountains for that matter) I could not bear to leave the mountains and I stayed on for another night at this resort but in a smaller unit. The smaller unit I stayed in was also pristine and looked like it had just been renovated. The beds in the two bedroom condo we had were the bomb.....really great firm mattresses topped with a down mattress topper. The beds in the smaller unit I had for my last night were not the same quality, older and sagged somewhat in the middle..none the less I slept like a log in the smaller unit as well. The only complaint I had with the two bedroom unit we had was the location. We were very close to the “Texas gate” on Banff Avenue. So sitting out on the patio was that less enjoyable listening to the rumble of cars going over that. A Texas gate is series of pipes put into the road which animals will not cross so it is for the protection of the animals in Banff not to go out onto the Trans Canada highway but it sounds like a rumble strip every time a car goes over it. However this did not bother us at night as we all slept very well in the mountain air and we were only at the condo to sleep, eat breakfast and dinner then we were on the road again. As we were there in September we were not dealing with balmy nights however it was beautifully warm when we were there so we did make use of the fans in the bedrooms at night as the bedrooms only had very small windows. As other’s have said there is no air conditioning so if you are traveling during hot summer months you may find the bedrooms a little toasty. If travelling in ski season in the winter the bedrooms would be really, really cosy and there is a nice fireplace in the living room. My expectations were exceeded as after reading some of the reviews I didn't know what to expect. This is a great place to stay if you are touring the area and want to self cater for meals and make use of the kitchens in the units which have them. We enjoyed having the setting of the woods around the resort. After spending time walking around the little town of Banff, which was really pretty I was glad that we chose to stay outside of town as the town of Banff is quite busy with tourists. It was just a 20 minute walk into Banff from the resort or there is a complimentary shuttle from the resort into town. I found all the staff to be very helpful and friendly and our unit was extremely clean. I would stay at the Banff Rocky Mountain Resort again. The resort was extremely quiet and peaceful when we were there. After I booked the room through an online booking agency I checked the price again about 5 days before my travel dates. Glad I did as the price had gone down $40 a night so as I had free cancellation with the first booking I rebooked at the less expensive price. So keep that in mind just make sure of course that you have free cancellation if you are going to change the booking.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Banff Rocky Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!