“We keep coming Back!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Banff Rocky Mountain Resort

Save Saved
You added Banff Rocky Mountain Resort to your Saves list
Banff Rocky Mountain Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   1029 Banff Avenue, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1A2, Canada   |
Ranked #18 of 33 hotels in Banff
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
“We keep coming Back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Last week was our second stay at the resort and altogether we have stayed in three different units. The staff is very helpful, personable, and engaging. The shuttle service is an absolute plus. All the units are very comfortable and very clean and the grounds are so well kept and pretty. Also went to breakfast at Peppers Grille one morning on our last visit which was very good and priced well. We stayed for a week in a 2 bedroom condo on our first visit with another couple and had room to spare.The kitchen with large pantry were great as we prepared most of our meals. During our last visit, we stayed in two different units. The executive suite was very nice; our unit on the end upstairs had windows on the vaulted ceiling side which could be left open for wonderful mountain views. It had a full size fridge, bar sink, cabinets, table and chairs. The front desk provided a microwave upon request. All three units had plenty of storage, closets, and counter space in the bathrooms. Our junior suite accommodation was a little dark. Even though it was on the end, there was a utility unit attached to the building and therefore the extra window beside the bed shown on the website pictures was eliminated.

Room Tip: If you book a junior suite, I would recommend getting an upgrade or making sure the reserved unit is...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

462 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Banff, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I got married at the Rocky Mountain Resort this past weekend.

Everything came together just like we expected. We have absolutely no complaints.

From the initial contact with Kristen in sales to the tasting arranged by Sonam and Chef Stephen, we were well aware what we were getting ourselves into. What we did not know is that everyone would go above and beyond their regular duties to ensure we had absolutely nothing to worry about!

The food from our Island Theme Buffet was fabulous! People complimented us numerous times throughout the night and kept asking us if it was ok to go for seconds.

Our hotel accommodations were also great. The Wolf Condos are newly renovated and very nice.

The front desk staff, particularly Ben, James and Emma were very friendly and extremely competent!

Come to the Rocky Mountain Resort to stay, or have your wedding here. They can guarantee you service with a smile...

Thank you all for these unforgettable memories we will cherish forever!

• Stayed September 2013
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Our group of 5 (two parents & their two kids 7 & 9 from Calgary, and a visiting aunt from Ontario....me) stayed here for two nights, September 12th and 13th. We booked a two bedroom suite/condo and it was fabulous for our needs. I phoned ahead and did request a recently renovated room if possible and the unit we did get was pristine....the wallpaper, bathrooms, everything looked very fresh and new. The layout of the unit was great as it was two floors. The main floor had a living room, full kitchen and bathroom with a beautiful tiled shower with glass door. As well there was a large outdoor deck off of the living room. Upstairs there were two bedrooms and a full bathroom. There was a large closet in the hall on the main floor and a large closet in the hallway upstairs and nice pine dressers in the bedrooms. As others have mentioned the rooms all small BUT the set up of the condo was perfect and for touring through Banff National Park it was super convenient. We had brought food with us for breakfasts and dinners at the condo and made picnic lunches to go for our day trips. There were three really nice gas BBQ’s for use in the BBQ area which was really just a step away from our unit...my nephew was particularly impressed with the BBQ's so he said to make sure I mentioned them in my review. I don’t understand other comments about the pool being dirty as the pool and hot tub were very clean when we were there. The kids certainly enjoyed the pool after touring around in the van all day. My nephew and his family had to get back to Calgary on the night of the 14th but as this was the first time that I had ever seen the Rocky Mountains (or any mountains for that matter) I could not bear to leave the mountains and I stayed on for another night at this resort but in a smaller unit. The smaller unit I stayed in was also pristine and looked like it had just been renovated. The beds in the two bedroom condo we had were the bomb.....really great firm mattresses topped with a down mattress topper. The beds in the smaller unit I had for my last night were not the same quality, older and sagged somewhat in the middle..none the less I slept like a log in the smaller unit as well. The only complaint I had with the two bedroom unit we had was the location. We were very close to the “Texas gate” on Banff Avenue. So sitting out on the patio was that less enjoyable listening to the rumble of cars going over that. A Texas gate is series of pipes put into the road which animals will not cross so it is for the protection of the animals in Banff not to go out onto the Trans Canada highway but it sounds like a rumble strip every time a car goes over it. However this did not bother us at night as we all slept very well in the mountain air and we were only at the condo to sleep, eat breakfast and dinner then we were on the road again. As we were there in September we were not dealing with balmy nights however it was beautifully warm when we were there so we did make use of the fans in the bedrooms at night as the bedrooms only had very small windows. As other’s have said there is no air conditioning so if you are traveling during hot summer months you may find the bedrooms a little toasty. If travelling in ski season in the winter the bedrooms would be really, really cosy and there is a nice fireplace in the living room. My expectations were exceeded as after reading some of the reviews I didn't know what to expect. This is a great place to stay if you are touring the area and want to self cater for meals and make use of the kitchens in the units which have them. We enjoyed having the setting of the woods around the resort. After spending time walking around the little town of Banff, which was really pretty I was glad that we chose to stay outside of town as the town of Banff is quite busy with tourists. It was just a 20 minute walk into Banff from the resort or there is a complimentary shuttle from the resort into town. I found all the staff to be very helpful and friendly and our unit was extremely clean. I would stay at the Banff Rocky Mountain Resort again. The resort was extremely quiet and peaceful when we were there. After I booked the room through an online booking agency I checked the price again about 5 days before my travel dates. Glad I did as the price had gone down $40 a night so as I had free cancellation with the first booking I rebooked at the less expensive price. So keep that in mind just make sure of course that you have free cancellation if you are going to change the booking.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Edmonton, Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Recently my husband and I booked a studio for a really great price. When we checked in, we were upgraded to a one bedroom loft unit which had a really big dinning area (larger than that in the 2 bedroom condo), a 2 piece bathroom and a large living area with a tiny bar-type area (large fridge, coffee maker and counter space). The second floor had a full bathroom and bedroom which had a queen size bed. The room was huge for 2 people and we could have easily fit 4. I think it felt roomier than the one bedroom condo.

The resort itself is out of town, so a car is a must or take the free shuttle which is quite handy. We are from central Alberta and have been to Banff MANY times and this resort is on par with other places when we compared price. Peppers is a cute place to eat with decent food and also has some staples if needed (cereal, snack type foods, etc). I absolutely love the outdoor hot tub. It is big and we were the only ones ever in it at night. There is also a smaller indoor hot tub and pool.

Two weeks ago my parents also spent a week there in a Wolf 2 bedroom condo. The decor is a bit cheesy with wolfs EVERYWHERE but it's super nice and new. The bedrooms have been renovated on the second floor to make them bigger (nice touch) and there are flat screen tvs in every room.

This resort has a lot of great memories for me and when we go to Banff, is usually one of the first places I try to book. The rooms have always been clean, there has never been problems with sound, and the new upgrades in some of the rooms is great.

The only downside is there is no air conditioning. Not a huge deal as Banff usually cools off at night quite a bit, but it would be nice to have that option.

Room Tip: Try to get a room close to the main building as you will then be closer to the pool and hot tub.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
AJAX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as an up grade from another hotel. Was a little further from town, but the free shuttle was handy. Room was a one bedroom suite, with full kitchen, and fireplace, and was beautifully appointed. Only stayed for one night so wasn't able to take advantage on the amenities and kitchen, but would def stay here again for a longer visit.

• Stayed August 2013
Blind Bay, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

First I must say if it wasn't for the fact this resort is in one of the most beautiful parts of the world, it would never have any guests!
This is a very small unit, we had four adults crammed in here and there was not enough space or furniture for all to sit comfortably. There is no air-conditioning, but two oscillating fans were apparently supposed to cover that base. As a result the open windows allowed road noise and other guests to permeate our rooms.
The common area furniture was dated and should have been replaced quite some time ago. The bedrooms did not have closets, only a cabinets with a hang bar and two shelves for clothes. The beds were queens and were sagging and should have been changed out.
The kitchen had mismatched dishes and the cooking utensils left a lot to be desired. The TV was something from the 80's. There were cracks and loose tiles on the floor, the drain in the lower shower was not attached, I assume for easy access by cleaning staff. The insulating foam around the windows was just sprayed in and not properly finished. In short I would have felt better staying at a Best Western, This was a very sub-standard unit. The pools and hot-tub were also lacking in cleanliness, and after one visit none of our party felt comfortable using these facilities. The fitness room which I assume was below the pool, had a leaking ceiling, and was dripping into a bowl of brown water. The fitness equipment was dated and also should have been updated.
Bottom line here is the Banff National park is one of the best in the world, and this resort is relying on the fact they will be able to use this to fill their rooms, without maintaining a reasonable level of comfort fro their guests. NO, we would not stay here again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

This is tough because I really want to rate them higher but the (time share) unit size just won't let me...Anyway there are more plusses than minuses here. The location is just outside town, away from the crowds and easy to get to from the highway. It is only about a 20 minute walk to town along a nice paved path or they provide an hourly shuttle. The staff is well trained, friendly, and helpful. The facility has an indoor pool, a café with a pretty good menu, a few games such as billiards and darts (dart board/darts really need to be replaced), a squash court, and tennis. There is one laundry room with 4 (pay as you go) machines (so walk to clubhouse) - I prefer to have one in each unit - and one family can tie up all the machines at once with no way to reserve a time. The grounds are clean well kept as are the units. The one bedroom unit has a very small kitchen with the necessary appliances and a table for two. The living room has a wood fireplace, a TV (old style), and a sofa that seats no more than three people. The bathroom is adequate and the bedroom has just enough room for a comfortable queen size bed and end table.
The place is great for a weekend getaway but it felt really cramped for a week stay and the long walk back and forth to the laundry room is inconvenient. **Note that I never saw the hotel rooms or larger units which may be a better size.

Room Tip: Further away from the clubhouse is surrounded by trees and very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Banff Rocky Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!