“Noisy” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Banff Ptarmigan Inn

Save Saved
You added Banff Ptarmigan Inn to your Saves list
Banff Ptarmigan Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   337 Banff Avenue, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1H8, Canada   |
Ranked #23 of 33 hotels in Banff
Calgary, Canada
“Noisy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

The hotel is a little dated but clean, and the staff are friendly. The free breakfast is good and there's plenty of variety.
The only bad thing is the noise. During ski season a lot of people party and if you intend to get a good nights sleep this is NOT the hotel for you. Loud drunk people from 2 am to 5 am. Such a shame because the hotels in a great location.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

670 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

This is the second year we’ve based ourselves at the Ptarmigan for a week’s skiing at Lake Louise and Sunshine. Once again it was really enjoyable and the breakfast was something to look forward to each morning, especially the omelettes cooked to order. Our room (324) was lovely with a vaulted ceiling, balcony and mountain view. The bed was really comfortable and everything in the room was spotlessly clean. It wasn't too hot either which we found with our room on the ground floor last year. The bar area was buzzing each night and all the staff were extremely helpful. Hugo was very welcoming and remembered us from last year.

The hotel’s location is very handy for Safeway and the downtown area of Banff. You can get a ROAM pass from the desk which entitles you to free travel on the town’s buses. The ski bus stops right outside the door, another bonus. It takes a while to get used to the padlocks on the ski lockers though - allow extra time on your first day.

The area around the guest computer could do with a clean - especially the computer itself.

We really enjoyed our stay and hope to go back again next April.

Room Tip: Ask for an outside room on the 3rd floor
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Braintree
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

We were recommended this hotel by our sister-in-law and we were not disappointed. Arrived at noon and our room was already available. We stayed in 324 and had great views from our balcony. Room was huge with 2 very comfortable queen beds and a bid flay screen tv. All the staff were excellent but to pick 2 out - Kerry on front desk & Alex running the bar - great work guys

Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights for my company's getaway.

I was pleasantly surprised to have enjoyed this hotel as much as I did. I haven't had much luck with good Banff hotels in my previous stays and with the booking out of my hands (company booked it) I was a little apprehensive.

Luckily it worked out really well. The staff was friendly and the underground parking worked out for us too (we timed that well though). I don't think you could ask for a better location. It was a block away from the 'downtown' area of Banff so everything was pretty much within walking distance.

The room was pretty nice. It didn't have any air conditioning but it worked out well because they have a big window which we could open. Having a cool sleep is important to me and the window accomplished that. The bathroom door didn't actually lock but staying with my boyfriend that wasn't an issue. You could hear people outside in the hallways as they walked by but you didn't really hear your neighbours. One of my co-worker's room had a layout with two beds (like mine room) however the washroom was actually situated in between the beds. That was interesting.

A breakfast buffet was included and we had that both days we were there. It was fine. If you are looking for milk for tea or coffee you have to grab it from the cereal area which is a bit silly. The food was ok. It did its job - fruit, scrambled eggs, hashbrowns, bacon etc which was all I needed. There were people walking around filling up coffee too so the service there was ok. Sunday at 9am there was about a 10 minute wait but this was not unexpected.

I'd stay here again if I was to bring some friends from out of town to visit. I would go out for breakfast a couple of times if you are staying for longer than a couple of days just for variety.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Creston, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

When in Banff, I usually stay at the Remote Crossing at the North end of the Park. Since my son had a friend with him, I wanted to stay right in town where there would be no temptation to drive anywhere. The Ptarmigan provided an excellent location, walking distance to all the downtown night spots. I was left alone with no worry of young drivers on vacation.
Another positive was the excellent breakfasts that were included in the very reasonable price. I found this hotel on Priceline but I quickly found a better price on the hotel's own website.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

I was also with the Crescent Ski Council group. My room was actually cool - I think it depends on the floor - I was on the top floor. I had a larger premium room with a fireplace and larger bathroom with Jacuzzi tub. I found the property to be very clean - the daily cleaning service was excellent. I agree with Skibumlong that the breakfast was top notch and the bar on the 1st floor was great with excellent bartenders who could make any drink we wanted!! The location was very convenient to town. It isn't a 5 star hotel but is very nice and great for the price. I stayed at another hotel in Banff in the past and trust me, there is such a thing as a 1 star property and Ptarmigan was a pleasure after my past experience in Banff lodging. Saturday night was a little loud on Banff Avenue when I understand the locals from Calgary head up to Banff but after that it was fine. I would stay there again without question. The front desk crew was the best!!! They brought our luggage right to our rooms after arrival and picked it up outside the rooms on our departure day. Thanks to Mary, Stefan, Kerry, Dennis and Hugo for a great stay. Hope to be back again in a couple of years.

Room Tip: Request a premium room if it's available and ask for an upper floor and on the corner if possibl...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

We stayed here with the Crescent Ski Council. The rooms were comfortable...but a bit on the warm side. The Breakfast in the morning was top notch. The Front Desk crew was wonderful. Thank you for a great stay: Hugo Bishop, Kerry James,& Mary Nelson!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Banff Ptarmigan Inn? Share your experiences!