“Better than my last banff hotel experience!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Banff Ptarmigan Inn

Save Saved
You added Banff Ptarmigan Inn to your Saves list
Banff Ptarmigan Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   337 Banff Avenue, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1H8, Canada   |
Ranked #24 of 33 hotels in Banff
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Better than my last banff hotel experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Due to a previous horrible experience at another hotel in Banff I frequently stayed I was a little hesitant staying in another hotel in Banff. However Banff Ptarmigan Inn was great for what we needed. The room was pretty basic but the bathroom was huge, there was actually parking spots available at their underground parking lot, the free breakfast wasn't just bagels and muffins there was bacon, pancakes, eggs, ect. (the other Banff hotel I stayed at charged you $15 for their "continental breakfast" which was just bagels and muffins) and the service was very helpful. The best part of this hotel was the location as it was a 5 minute walking distance to downtown Banff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

668 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed a week in March. Breakfast was excellent and staff and servers were great. Rooms and common areas were kept very clean and tidy. Not a great selection of television stations (no CBS) but staff were going to look into. Consider avoiding the standard rooms as you may end up with one on the first floor which has poor air circulation; however great price if you can get one with an atrium balcony. Staff were very accommodating with any legitimate concerns.

Room Tip: Would suggest not go for the standard priced room as they don't have good air circulation and ar...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Red Deer, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Pros:
1)Underground parking (VERY tight squeeze, though, I wouldn't bring a truck or bigger SUV)
2) Fabulous all included hot breakfast (this saves the hotel)
3) Comfortable beds (but awful pillows)
4) Great location (walking distance to downtown shops and resturants)

Cons:
1) The room was SOOOO HOT!! They do not have a/c in the rooms and it was hot, hot, hot!! It felt like the middle of summer but it was below zero at night.(march in Alberta is still winter, people) We had to sleep with the balcony window open and both fans going. (they leave you filthy, old fans on the floor behind the door) I complained 4 times of the heat (once at 3am) and they said, "Oh...it's warm?" "I will check the boiler system." We never heard anything back. I had the worst sleeps of my life and my son has to sleep in nothing but a diaper. In the day, we would leave the door open with the fan blowing the hallway a/c into our room. There is NO air circulation in this room - I wish I had noticed the other reviews that said this - I HATE SLEEPING IN A HOT STUFFY ROOM!! I could not imagine staying here in the summer. SERIOUSLY, PTARMIGAN INVEST IN SOME AIR CONDITIONING IF YOUR ROOMS HAVE SUCH POOR AIR CIRCULATION.

2) Filthy bathroom. There were old pee stains around the rim of the toilet, I felt like I needed to wear shoes in there. I can only imagine what the floor was like in the main area but it's hard to tell as it's carpet. But, i think the dried blood stains on the pillow cases was a good enough sign. Also, our "room/cleaning service" was poor. They made the beds, stocked the towels and left coffee. They did not clear away dirty dishes or wipe spilt coffee off the table or toothpaste off the bathroom counter

3) There was a flat screen tv in our room but the cable was broken at the back which made the TV fuzzy, I asked for it to be fixed....nothing.

4) Service was awful. The `bartender` (female) spent more time flirting with the 18 year olds doing shooters than serving us food or drinks. Everytime I called the front desk it took at least 4 eperate calls to have someone pick up the phone and they acted like none of my complaints were valid. (serioulsy, acting like you don`t know my room was HOT)?! The one man even said, "OH, I haven't gotten any other complaint".B.S!

5) Small rooms. We stayed in the "premium split room" so our 2 year old could have his own bed/area and, while the layout was nice, it's nothing like the blue print shows. His bed was right against the door and our's was practically touching the small table & chair & TV desk.

6) This hotel is for young adults looking to ski. That's it. The front entrance is nice but the room's definitely don't make you feel 'pleasantly surprised'. Not good for romance or a family. You will NOT want to spend time in your hotel room when it's hot, stuffy and only has a view of the parking lot/ hotel next door. This is clearly a party hotel especially with the old silly string stuck to the ceiling and cigarette burns in the window curtains.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
ArjunBanff, Front Office Manager at Banff Ptarmigan Inn, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Welcome home and thank you for taking the time to write a review. Thank you so much for your constructive feedback, I have spoken with all the relevant department heads and we are working diligently to insure that the issues you had do not repeat themselves. As mentioned in previous responses we are hoping to renovate the hotel in the future which will fix most of the issues you had, unfortunately due to our prime location so close to downtown we are surrounded by residential housing and other hotels. We are very pleased you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast and have passed your comments onto our restaurant manager. Thank you again for all your feedback and we look forward to your next stay.
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed here as part of a romantic weekend away. We were very happy with the location. We were able to walk to the village in under two minuets, we walked to dinner, coffee etc. We were also impressed with the breakfast that was included in the low room price. They had hot and cold items as well as an omelet bar, far better than the usual continental breakfasts included with room rates. Underground parking was really nice, however you can't get in if your car is over six feet tall.

We enjoyed how quiet our room was as well as the size. For a couple's getaway a king sized bed would have been nice but this inn does not have them from what we could find. The room was also incredibly hot. There was a small old fan in the closet however, we just slept with the windows open. The room decor was pretty dated but the bed was very comfortable. We both slept well. The staff was friendly upon check in and check out. We liked it here overall, we might consider staying again...mostly because of the price, location and breakfast.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Welcome home and thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us on a special weekend getaway. I am sorry you were warm in your room I have passed on your comments to our maintenance manager so the issue can be resolved. We hope in the near future to renovate the hotel and rooms to deliver a better guest experience and improve up on existing amenities. We are so happy you enjoyed the complementary breakfast and have passed your comments on to our restaurant manager. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to your next stay.
montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

For a Skiing vacation stay in Banff, walking distance to shops and restaurants in Banff, bus services to the slopes on the front door, clean, good breakfast included, this is the place. My wife and I, although accustomed at higher end hotels found this place perfect for the mission. We will definitely come back for our next ski trip in Banff.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 218, we found it quiet at night, far away from the elevators,nice little balcony w...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed here for one night with friends just for a cheap getaway as we wanted to do the Banff nightwalk at Johnston Canyon. Our rooms were ok, clean and a good size as we were only staying here for the night we didn't use the pool or hotel restaurant however they were both busy.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Welcome home and thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your feedback as we strive to deliver the very vest service we can. Although you did not use our hot tubs or restaurant you should know we also provide free roam passes for ease of getting around town. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to your next visit.
Red Deer, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Underground parking and breakfast were nice. Hot tub was broken and freezing cold unlike the room which were so stuffy we had 2 fans running and our door open to try and cool them off and this was in March!!! Worst sleep ever in this hotel, there is no air circulation and we had the heat off our entire stay! With all the other options for hotels we would never stay here again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
ArjunBanff, Front Office Manager at Banff Ptarmigan Inn, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Welcome home and thank you taking the time to write a review. I am so sorry to hear you did not have an enjoyable stay with us. During your stay here there was an issue with the one hot tub which has now been resolved so I am sorry for that. With the fluctuating temperatures this month we have been trying our best to maintain a pleasant and comfortable temperature throughout the hotel; we do have air circulation throughout the hotel whether in our standard or superior rooms so we are investigating the matter to see why you had issues with this. If you would like any more information or have any additional comments please feel free to contact me at the hotel directly.

Been to Banff Ptarmigan Inn? Share your experiences!