“Very good. Nice and relaxing.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Banff Ptarmigan Inn

Save Saved
You added Banff Ptarmigan Inn to your Saves list
Banff Ptarmigan Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   337 Banff Avenue, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1H8, Canada   |
Ranked #24 of 33 hotels in Banff
Brisbane, Australia
“Very good. Nice and relaxing.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

Banff Ptarmigan Inn
Booked a superior room ages ago for our Banff adventure. Upon arrival we had been upgraded to a Premier room which was lovely. We were on the top floor overlooking the 'infamous atrium' that I have read so much about. We found the room to be very lovely and the nice part......it had a fire place. Beautiful. Nice big open room with seperate spacious bathroom where for once the bath and the shower were seperate!! Our room included breakfast (see seperate review for restaurant). We had no issues with noise from the atrium or the road. Excellent location, very close to township centre. Would happily stay again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ArjunBanff, Front Office Manager at Banff Ptarmigan Inn, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Welcome home and thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We are always trying to improve our guest service and amenities so I have passed on your comments about the buffet to the restaurant manager and kitchen manager. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us we hope to see you again in the New Year and take advantage of all of our amenities and see the improvements we have made.

668 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Thompson, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We have stayed at the Banff Ptarmigan for quite a number of years for our annual pre-season ski trip, and it is a great place to stay. Beds are comfy, pillows great, and rooms are fine.
Breakfast is always good, and included in the price.
It is a two minute walk to downtown and all the restaurants. Front desk staff have good advice on ski areas and you can buy discounted passes at the desk.
We will be back again next year!

Room Tip: A balcony is nice, but I have stayed on all three floors and the quality is good on either side.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Welcome home and thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and it seems you took advantage of most of our amenities. Just remember if you’re heading up to the Gondola or further afield we do have complementary Roam bus passes available at the front desk. We all look forward to your next visit in the New Year.
Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Goods: Great location close to all the shops downtown...literally 200 yards! We had a room on the 3rd floor which had 2 double beds. Great service at front desk!
Bads: Pillows were average and parking was very limited the first weekend of December.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
ArjunBanff, Front Office Manager at Banff Ptarmigan Inn, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Welcome home and thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Banff Ptarmigan Inn. I will be speaking with my housekeeping manager about the conditions of our pillows to see which ones if any need replacing. Parking at the hotel especially on the weekends can be challenging but we do have 2 levels of underground parking and plenty of parking on either side of the building. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon.
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My mum and and I spontaneously decided to head to Banff for my 26th birthday! We decided we wanted to stay over night and since the Ptarmigan was so perfectly located, we decided to try it. We had no problem getting and excellent rate on a room at last minute, and had hoped to park in the underground parking early in the day if it was possible! They not only were great about letting us park there, they also offered for an early check in for us! After spending all day out and about, we came back to the room and we super happy to see the beds looked soo comfortable! We both had a fantastic sleep and awoke to head down for a hot breakfast that was already included in our great room rate! I personally have a lot of allergies and was content with just the fruit salad on the buffet, but Alex, the morning chef, happily offered to make me something off the menu that I could enjoy! It was bloody fantastic! Thank you for a great stay and a great celebration night for my birthday! We will see you again! Cheers! Xx

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Was here over the weekend for a company xmas party. That being said, I think we got ripped off even though we didnt pay for it!

The positives:
Front desk staff: A+ Everyone from the front desk we encountered was excellent, very friendly and accommodating.
Parking: Very happy to have free parking, and a free bus pass (which we didnt use) as well.
Breakfast: Great hot breakfast in the morning, a bit of a limited selection, but the omelette station made up for it.

The negatives:
The room. Just awful. Dingy, dark, unkept. The bed had sunk in on two spots where people would lay, and it would show even through the bed when made - with sheets, comforter and everything. It was disgusting, and I barely wanted to sleep in it. The roof was cracking, and at some points I would look up and think we were going to be crushed by the ceiling (luckily we werent). There was also not enough light in the room, one wall sconce, one table lamp and one tall lamp for the whole room? It was awful.

Staff besides the front desk: The waitresses at the breakfast were complete [-]. So rude, probably just because they thought no one would tip them for a free breakfast. I brought some change to tip them, but after the service I received, hell no.

Housekeeping: Had to request housekeeping to come clean our room, and even after that, it still wasnt clean. I had a bottle of tylenol on the bedside table, and when I came back to the room it was knocked over, and there were pills all over the floor! It was all wasted, and they didnt even bother to clean up the mess THEY had made.

Hot tubs/workout area: Disgusting. Who wants to go in those nasty little tubs when there is someone working out 5 feet from you? I also saw people going from working out into the hot tubs without showering, and then going back. Nasty.

Overall, I would never stay here again. If a future company tries to put me up again here, I will not let them waste their money and my time again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ArjunBanff, Front Office Manager at Banff Ptarmigan Inn, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the hotel. I am deeply sorry the hotel did not meet your expectations in all facets of your experience. Rest assured I have passed on all the details of your stay to the appropriate managers and we are working diligently to make sure that the experience you had does not happen again. I also wanted to let you know that in the near future the hotel will be renovating and making improvements to both our spa area and hotel rooms to hopefully end the issues you had during your stay. Although we will be renovating in the future, until then we will be making every effort to tackle the problems you listed to improve both our customer service and the guest experience. If you have any additional comments or would like more information please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel directly.
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I find myself in Banff quite often, and the Ptarmigan is always my go-to hotel. The staff is always very welcoming and accomodating, check in and out is painless and quick. The rooms are clean and the beds very comfy. Location is perfect, just a block away from the downtown shops and eateries. And the underground heated parking is very welcoming on the cold Alberta evenings.
Added bonus was the included full, hot breakfast in the morning. Much better than the standard breakfasts you find at most hotels.
Overall, I always enjoy my stay and always recommend it to friends and family looking for a great place, at a great price, to stay when visiting Banff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
ArjunBanff, Front Office Manager at Banff Ptarmigan Inn, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Welcome home Amber M and thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your next visit. I see you made use of all of our amenities, I also wanted to mention that we do offer complementary bus tickets on the towns Roam bus to get you where you need to go. Thank you for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again.
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed one night at the hotel in November. The check-in and check-out were seamless, staff were pleasant, and the room, bed and bedding was fine. The hotel furnishings are a bit dated, but overall we had no problems. Underground heated parking was welcome, as was the easy walking distance to the downtown shops and restaurants. The two jacuzzi tubs were relaxing to soak in, one being a few degrees hotter than the other by design. Unfortunately, the timer for the jets wasn't working on one tub, and the other would cut out after 5 minutes. There was a water cooler there, but the cup dispenser hadn't been refilled and was empty. Bonus points for the steam and dry saunas....they were very enjoyable. The breakfast buffet was excellent....we avoided the skier's rush and went after 9 AM. Decent selection of items, and having an omelette station there was great. There are much nicer hotels in Banff, but considering the location, parking, and hot breakfast for two for under a hundred bucks, you can't beat the value.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Banff Ptarmigan Inn? Share your experiences!