“Love Banff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Banff International Hotel

Save Saved
You added Banff International Hotel to your Saves list
Banff International Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   333 Banff Avenue | Box 1040, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1B1, Canada   |
Ranked #27 of 33 hotels in Banff
Shipley, United Kingdom
“Love Banff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Used this has a base for a 2 week stay June 2013. Furniture & decor in rooms a bit dated & stains on carpet & some of the furniture.
Reception staff helpful & helped us book some golf. Although beware of prices for a round at Banff Springs course & Silvertip.
Bar service ok but tended to close early if no customers.
Restaurant ok for breakfast but evening meals leave a lot to be desired.
The jacuzzi really good but the steam room & the sauna not working the whole 2 weeks we were there.
The coffee shop within the gift shop was just starting up so was not fully operational when we were there.

Room Tip: Ask for a mountain view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
bihmanagement, Front Office Manager at Banff International Hotel, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear bron317,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are thankful that you stayed for a long time with us. Your comments have been passed to each individual department for their review and we appreciate the insight.

350 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Korean first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Our first time to Canada and our first stop Banff. Hotel in good location, grill good food although only one waitress on doing everything ! Apart from cooking. Rooms are a little dated but overall still good , would stay here again.cannot comment on the sauna as we did not have time to use the facility.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
bihmanagement, Front Desk Supervisor at Banff International Hotel, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear jan j

Thank you for your recent review of the Banff International Hotel

We are very happy to have been your hotel of choice on your first trip to Canada, we thank you for your comments and since you do mention our rooms being a little dated, we would be proud to welcome you back to one of our renovated rooms in the future as we will be embarking on extensive renovations for our property.

Clayton, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Potential guests need to be aware that this property is 'dated', does not have air conditioning and two rooms we were offered included soiled furniture.

The desk staff is very well trained to give customers lip service, and tell the customer in a nice way that the guest doesn't know what they are talking about.

It turned out that our room was exceptionally warm and the hotel solution was to deliver a small pedestal fan that did not work. Finally a man came to the room and shut off the heat by removing panels from the registers to turn them off, i.e. the thermostat did not work.

The front desk staff promotes their on site restaurant. Unfortunately, we arrived for breakfast and were told 'too bad, we don't have the staff so the restaurant is not open.' No one even cared that guests were forced to go somewhere else in the pouring rain. It seems they might have offered a shuttle or at least an umbrella to help the guests get to another restaurant.

The location is great, but the property leaves a lot to be desired.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear rfinkle,

Thank you for your review of our property. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not comfortable. We take all our guest reviews seriously and are committed to act upon them to improve our level of service.

Unfortunately, at this time, we do not have A/C in the rooms. Occasionally, the heat in individual rooms may malfunction and staff are trained to respond to such situations immediately. I apologize if this was not the case for you. During the extensive room renovation our property will begin to undergo in Fall 2014, we will be putting A/C in the rooms.

Again, I appreciate your comments. Recently, we purchased a number of umbrellas for guest use for those occasions where there is a sudden downpour. We sincerely wish our guests to have an enjoyable stay but I am sorry that you were let down in that regard.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I stayed at this hotel on June 14, 2014. I went with a few ladies for a short getaway. We paid $185 for the room which I find pricey but the hotel is in an excellent location so I didn't mind. Safeway is across the street and it is very close to Earls restaurant and many bars and nightclubs. The rooms are a little dated but they are clean and comfortable. The bathroom is quite large with decent lighting. Ricki's grill is in the hotel so it's nice to go for a quick breakfast after checkout. Also they serve alcohol in the lobby at night which we took full advantage of! Overall my stay was great and I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014
bihmanagement, Front Office Manager at Banff International Hotel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear sunkissed23_11

We are very happy that you were able to enjoy so much of what the hotel has to offer. Thank you for posting a glowing review and we look forward to hosting you again. Feel free to book directly with me at preferred rates via 403-762-5666.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Got a real surprise - booked on booking.com at the last minute. It was cheap for Banff so I wasn't expecting much and I was pleasantly surprised. It was so nice and comfortable, beds were soo comfortable. Location was awesome! I would highly recommend this hotel for value, service and location.

• Stayed June 2014
bihmanagement, Front Office Manager at Banff International Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear Ding123,

We are glad that we pleasantly surprised you and exceeded your expectations. We do aim for great service, value, and comfort and it is gratifying that we hit the mark with you. Thank you for your review.

bournemouth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

The hotel's position on the main road is probably the best thing it has going for it. My room was adequate for me at least and certainly clean enough. Most of the staff do their best but others do not. Some don't have a clue. I had breakfast twice and dinner once. I have never in my life had a waitress take my knife, fork and napkin away while I was getting my food from the buffet before. I have also never stayed in an hotel where they think it is perfectly ok to have a plastic knife and a metal fork or vice versa to eat my food with. The orange juice was watery too but it was improved, after some pushing.on the second morning. Two of the male staff "worked their socks off" to put things right at breakfast and dinner so clearly somebody cares. Note to management: Please support your staff better than this. I must say they were all very nice to me.

For any customers wishing to try a local restaurant for dinner may I recommend The Bison at 211 Bear Street.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear EricBournemouth

Thank you for reviewing our property in Banff. I am glad that you found the room clean and enjoyed the location. Regarding your dining experiences, we have undergone some recent staff and management turnover in the F&B department and are looking to improve the consistency of very good service. I apologize for the way in which your vacation ended but we do appreciate your comments moving forward.

Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

I chose this hotel for its location four blocks from the Banff Rocky Mountaineer station. Location couldn't have been better as the train station, restaurants, shopping, etc were within easy walking distance. The Front Desk personnel were very nice and helpful as well. Our king premium room was comfortable and clean. My husband found a fan in the closet and the ceiling fan switch was on the outside wall behind the entertainment center. We also opened the windows which helped the room temperature. The bathroom was also a nice size compared to some of the other hotels we reserved. On the negative side, we wanted to eat at Ricky's Grill when it opened for breakfast, but we were told one cook hadn't come to work, and the other one was busy with a large tour group. We were told we could wait or eat next door at the Ptarmigan Inn which was what we did. Also, the fire alarm went off our second evening there. No fire, but it was a very different experience for us and no one told us what had happened. The Banff International is an okay place to stay because it is clean & comfortable, but I may choose to stay somewhere else if I ever return to Banff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has been renovated.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear TxTripper

Thank you for posting a review of your stay at the Banff International Hotel. We appreciate your positive comments about our location, the Front Desk staff, and the comfort and size of our rooms. We are sorry that your experience with the on-site restaurant was not better and we are seeking to make sure such experiences do not occur. Please do consider us again when in town and feel free to book directly with me.

Brewster Hospitality

Been to Banff International Hotel? Share your experiences!