“Quite Enjoyable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Banff International Hotel

You added Banff International Hotel to your Saves list
Banff International Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   333 Banff Avenue | Box 1040, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1B1, Canada   |
Ranked #27 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Quite Enjoyable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I booked this hotel with another friend just to get away from Edmonton. I have been reading the reviews below and took each one with a grain of salt as I have been misled on reviews in TripAdvisor before.

As I am a professional cleaner and I am detailed in cleaning, I checked the hotel for obvious signs of neglect and to my astonishment, there was very little to no dust on any ledges I saw throughout the hotel, which indicated they do dust and clean at LEAST once a week if not daily. The room we stayed was a top floor room which overlooked the Safeway and had a great view of the mountains. The beds were EXTREMELY comfortable and the pillows were amazing. We heard absolutely no one outside our room or next door neighbors (if we had any) which is good since I read that people said there were people knocking on doors in the middle of the night and/or running around the hallways and making too much noise. The rooms were warmer than usual and there is no air conditioning but it did have a ceiling fan and a smaller fan in the closet so it didn't bother us that much. Overall the room was very comfortable and would definitely return to this hotel.

However, there is a few suggestions I would like to make or advice to travelers:

1. The parking underground is a bit tight and I found a lot of idiots parked down there using 2 stalls for one vehicle. When me and my friend came late at night (and we knew the parking down there was first come first serve), we were surprised how many people were doing this. It was very frustrating for us when we knew we'd have parking down there but idiots like these that make our stay unenjoyable. I suggest to the hotel that they should check this frequently so that parking can be done as efficiently as possible.

2. Ricky's All Day Grill was hit and miss for me and my friend. We tried to go there for dinner and they would refuse to take us in because they are "Full seating at the moment and only have 1 chef in the back". I have never been turned away from service like that before. The place wasn't even full. It had MAYBE 8-9 tables full but the rest of it was empty. You would think if they wanted to get profit, they wouldn't turn people away like that. And I wasn't the only one too.

3. People who book this hotel, be very cautious. Yes, the hotel is situated by the Banff Downtown and access to it is just 1 block away. But it also is the place where a lot of drunk people walk by and make a lot of noise. So if you don't want that noise or want to be by the drunks, then don't stay here. Personally, it wasn't an issue for me and my friend since we knew it's Banff. What do you expect?

Those 3 points I listed would not deter me to not want to come again, but I want people to understand that it's not as bad as some people are saying it is.

Room Tip: Go to the top floor for a great view. You won't regret it!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
bihmanagement, Front Office Manager at Banff International Hotel, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Dear Matthew K,

Thank you for posting a very balanced review of your stay with us.

It is a great pleasure to read that you found our beds so comfortable. I am also pleased that you enjoyed the mountain view from your room as more than anything we seek to provide a place where a wonderful guest experience is the norm.

In that regard, I will take steps to ensure our underground parking is checked more frequently for vehicles that are taking up more than one stall. As we do ask for plate numbers at check-in in case of lights being left on, alarms going off, etc, this is something which we do but could do more effectively.

Thank you again for your comments.

Front Office manager
Brewster Hospitality

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Korean first
Clare, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

We have just returned from our stay at the Banff International. This is the third time we have stayed here and we find it ideally situated for all the amenities Banff has to offer. As usual all the staff were really helpful and really friendly, they will try to help with any issues you have. The room we had was very spacious with an enormous bathroom and very comfortable beds the only real problem we had with the room was that even with the heating turned right down the room was stiflingly hot at times and the WIFI was very hit and miss which we found very frustrating. We ate at the attached restaurant Rickys a couple of times and found the food satisfactory we would definitely recommend the chocolate brownie.
Overall we had a really good stay but i was wondering if someone could explain something to me. One evening my wife went to the bar for some drinks to take to our room but was told that we could not have a draft beer in a glass or a glass of wine but they could let us have a bottle of beer. I find this strange as they seemed quite ok with us going to the liquor store to buy wine and beer to take to our room. I would have thought they would have preferred to keep the trade within the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
MRHGuestServices, Front Desk Supervisor at Banff International Hotel, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Dear Ian M

Thank you for your recent review and for continuing to choose the Banff International as your hotel of choice when in the area.

First and foremost we would like to apologize for what happened in regards to the bar during your stay, there was some confusion about what we were and were not allowed to serve from the bar to be taken to room in accordance with the Alberta Liquor and Gaming Commissions guidelines on open alcohol in unlicensed areas of the hotel and we apologize for the inconvenience and we’re clearing up the policy with management.

We do also apologize for issues with our Wi-Fi network, we are currently exploring options for a major upgrade to the wireless infrastructure of the hotel and for any heating issues you may have had, we are currently exploring these issues with our maintenance department and we thank you for pointing this out.

However we are glad to hear you had an overall positive experience once again and we thank you for your kind words about our staff and we are happy you found our room spacious and comfortable.

We understand that this time around there were some issues with the hotel and we are working to rectify them and again please accept our sincere apologies, but we hope you would continue to choose our property going into the future during your visits to the area.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

I did a lot of reviewing, as this was our first trip to Banff as Husband and Wife. I decided on this hotel, because of the previous reviews and the price. The location was walking distance to EVERYTHING! No one mentioned in their reviews that there was a Safeway across the street, which was fantastic for lunch and snacks (saves you lots!.) Ricky's all day bar and grill was on site for breakfast, and the food was ok, but so was the price. They had a full menu. We stayed on the main floor, just steps away from the front desk, so it was easy to come and go. We walked the main drag several times. The underground parking lot was great. Asked for a mountain view, and we had a partial view of Sulfer mountain, and safeway. But we just stayed in a regular double queen room. It had a mini fridge, which was great to save some cash on food and drinks!
The only one thing I would recommend, or suggest you do differently then us, would be to request a room on a higher floor, or away from the main streets, as it was rather nosy at night with bar-goers, and in the morning with ski tours/busses leaving. The hotel is older, so the windows are not very forgiving for noise.
I will return to the Banff International Hotel, and I would recommend it to friends!

Room Tip: Has Mini Fridge Restaurant on site Close to grocery store Walking distance to everything on main...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
bihmanagement, Front Desk Supervisor at Banff International Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Dear CraigandChrystal\

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing the Banff International Hotel for your first trip to Banff and we thank you for your very positive review of our property.

We are happy that you found our location so convenient, as it does make it very easy to enjoy all that Banff has to offer and you enjoyed many of our facilities including the underground parking which is definitely a bonus especially this winter which has at times been so bitterly cold.

We definitely recognize that our hotel is a bit dated and will be doing extensive renovations of the property going into the future.

We look forward to your return to the Banff International Hotel

Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

I don't recommend this hotel for visitors to Banff. It is situated near the bars and pubs of Banff and has a tonne of traffic noise and late night rowdy noise within the hotel. The staff if not at all helpful (esp. management) toward guest concerns or any requests. I wouldn't book here again if you paid me. Also needs renos badly. The 80's shtick no longer passes as tasteful decor.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
bihmanagement, Front Office Manager at Banff International Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Surfshark:

We are very sorry that you did not find your stay with us satisfactory. We pride ourselves on offering wonderful guest service and responding to all requests. I regret that you did not experience this. Should you be disturbed by noise late at night, the night auditor and security staff are ready to respond, and if the noise is coming from the street, the front desk is always ready to offer an alternate room or provide earplugs.

Front Office Manager
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

We have travelled many countries and stayed in many hotels. This hotel was clean, staff were pleasant. We had a beautiful room and truly enjoyed that we could walk everywhere in town from our hotel. Happily recommend this hotel. Found the hot tub very disappointing, there was too much chlorine in it, it burned the eyes when you walked in the room and for the size of hotel it was undersized. But it is in a town with a natural hot spring, next time we'll do that instead.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor, it was quiet and had a nice view. Room was nice and large.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
bihmanagement, Front Desk Supervisor at Banff International Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear PGSilva2014
Thank you for your recent review of the Banff International Hotel

First and foremost I would like to apologize for the discomfort you experienced during your recent stay with us in regards to the hot tub. We closed it after guests brought this issue to our attention on Sunday morning and have taken every step possible to rectify the situation.

We are glad to hear however that you had a largely positive experience and we thank you for your kind words about our rooms and our staff, we always do our best to provide the best customer service and facilities possible and are glad to have met those expectations barring the issue with the hot tub.

Should your travels around the globe once again bring you to Banff, we would love to welcome you back

Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Located across from grocery store, beautiful oak trim, comfortable, handy restaurant on main floor. Friendly staff. Room was a bit too warm even with thermostat turned down. Clean and spacious. Safe underground parking. Awful internet--was not able to connect all weekend long; therefore not able to email family back home. Awful mess in hot tub--chlorine is automatically adjusted to sanitize the water but the water was so dirty that the chlorine burned our noses & eyes. Tub needs to be emptied, sanitized, then filled again. Was in for 30 seconds and out again.

Room Tip: Ask for a front corner room facing Banff Avenue. Beautiful views!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear pumpkinsrock

Thank you for your recent of the Banff International Hotel

We would also like to apologize for the issues you experienced with our Wi-Fi during your stay; we are currently exploring several options to upgrade our network.

We do thank you however for your kind words about our room and our staff and for pointing out our underground parking, which is definitely a bonus especially this winter which has at times been so bitterly cold.

Despite some of the issues you experienced during your stay which we have rectified or are working towards rectifying we hope you would consider staying with us again and we would love to welcome you back when your travels bring you to Banff once more.

Cranbrook
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

I recently stayed at the hotel. The room was comfortable enough however when I went to open the window for fresh air I was disappointed to see that the screen was bent and obviously ill fitting and the window frame close to the glass was covered with what looked like mould. It was a little disconcerting and certainly looked like proper maintenance is lacking. Room towels smelled of bleach and were threadbare. I stayed here last year and was very disappointed at that time by lack of wifi throughout the facility. I was sure they would have fixed that issue by now however, it was again very poor. That is a major problem for most people in this day and age and the only hotel I have stayed at this year with that problem.
I understand that renovations are planned. I hope the wifi will be upgraded at the same time. Good location with great potential but not a place I would stay again at until then.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear JanetDarryl,

Thank you for taking the tine to review your recent stay. We greatly appreciate your comments as they help illuminate areas that we need to improve in. Our number one goals are impeccable guest service and customer satisfaction. We will bring the issues you have highlighted to our teams to solve them rigorously in pursuit of our goal. As you have mentioned we do have extensive renovations planned which include upgrading our wireless and an exciting, fresh look for our rooms and common spaces.

Front Office Manager
Brewster Hospitality

Been to Banff International Hotel? Share your experiences!