“Great location, parking and ski storage” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Banff International Hotel

Save Saved
You added Banff International Hotel to your Saves list
Banff International Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   333 Banff Avenue | Box 1040, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1B1, Canada   |
Ranked #28 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Sherwood Park, AB
“Great location, parking and ski storage”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

The rooms were a little small and dated. The hallways didn't feel that clean. The lobby was ok, and location was fantastic. Parking gets full in the evenings, so if you get in late you may be parked in the driving lanes. Wi-fi was spotty, but worked better during the day. You can plug in on the lobby floor. Didn't try the hot tub. Ricky's food is ok, but the service was super slow. Dinner took over 2 hours. Restaurant was only half full. Reception was very polite and had everything ready. You can hear the trains go by, and the fridge in the room is nice, but the compressor on it is quite loud.

Room Tip: Top floor is probably your best bet. The last room before the corner is smaller because of a bulkhe...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
MRHGuestServices, Hotel Sales Coordinator at Banff International Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear OilerfanSunseeker,

Thank you for your recent review of the Banff International Hotel.

We completely agree that our rooms are a 'little' outdated. We will be undergoing an extensive renovation very shortly that will give all our guestrooms and common areas a fresh and modern look. We would love to host you again when our renovations are complete to show you our new look.

Brewster Hospitality

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Korean first
southampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

We have just stayed at the hotel for the past two weeks, we are a family of 6 adults in three rooms, the rooms are large and clean but a little dated, but they did inform us that they are having a refurb this year. We did have a couple of small issues but nothing serious, Ricky's the restaurant was either not open or closed early so we had to eat breakfast and dinner in the bar, which also closes early anything between 9pm and 10pm, the other small problem was housekeeping, they did'nt always leave coffee for the machine, so we did have to ring down for some but nothing was to much trouble for the front desk, they also did not hoover or dust the room for the whole two weeks.
Overall we did have a good time and an enjoyable stay at the Banff International and would certainly stay again.
This is our 9 year to Banff, and a few things I could recomend, Banff Park Lodge for Sunday Brunch and also their theme buffett evenings.4

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
MRHGuestServices, Hotel Sales Coordinator at Banff International Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear cassie162,

Thank you for your recent review of the Banff International Hotel.

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

We at Brewster Hospitality completely agree that our rooms are slightly outdated. We have finalized our plans for our extensive renovation. We are very excited for what is to come and we hope to welcome you back upon completion to show you our new look.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the issues with housekeeping. I have passed your comments on to our Executive Housekeeper for her review and action.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you again.

Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

This place is on Banff avenue and hence the location is really good. The souvenir shops, restaurants, convenience store, gas station and other shopping stores are at walking distance. The hotel rooms inside are clean but seriously outdated.

We were given a tube TV for the bedroom which is what my first TV ever looked like (in 1992). The rooms are weirdly shaped. I had some take out food that I wanted to heat up but there was no microwave. When I asked the staff, they said guests are not allowed to use their microwave in the kitchen. Hence I was reduced to eating my food cold.

The underground parking is nothing but scary. If you have a bigger vehicle like a SUV or a truck, good luck squeezing into the parking. The ceiling is low down to the roof of a sedan car and pipes running all over the ceiling will take out your ski rack, antenna, etc. We had to park outside on the street.

Overall, this place is good if you find nothing else around Banff Avenue and shopping and taking a tour of Banff downtown is your priority. It still remains overpriced for the customer service, room conditions and amenities provided.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Shoaib M,

Thank you for your recent review of the Banff International Hotel.

Just to add some clarification regarding the televisions in our guestrooms, all our rooms are equipped with a 37" flat screens televisions. Most of our loft rooms have 2 flat screen televisions (one upstairs and one downstairs) however a couple of the rooms have a flat screen television downstairs and a tube television upstairs.

Our underground parking lot is a common clearance of 6'1 ft. Signage is clearly marked in our lobby as well as at the entrance and along the walls of the underground parking lot. In addition, the entrance of the parking lot has chains hanging down from the ceiling, if these touch your vehicle, then it is to high for our underground.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Stayed here the weekend before Christmas with my in laws who were over from the UK and we were all pretty impressed when we pulled up outside and even with the foyer, then we went to our rooms; Yes they were clean (hence the 3 stars) but the place is so outdated, it would be hilarious if my in laws wouldn't have been with us but it was actually embarrassing.

On our last night we decided to have an early one so thought we would have a drink in the bar before going to bed only to be told by a very flustered lady that she was to busy to serve us!! There was one family about 8 in there and a few tables that needed clearing, thankfully the hotel bar next door was much more obliging!

Never again would I stay or recommend this place no matter how cheap it is!

Room Tip: Maybe ask to see a few you never know maybe mine and my in laws were the only dated ones!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
MRHGuestServices, Hotel Sales Coordinator at Banff International Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Michelle250,

Thank you for your recent review of the Banff International Hotel.

We are very glad you enjoyed the outside of the hotel as well as the cleanliness. Our plans for an extensive renovation have been made a reality and we will be starting the renovation soon.

Please accept our apologies that our staff were unable to serve you in the restaurant.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Budapest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

When my wife told me she'd booked this hotel on the main drag in Banff, I was dreading it would be like our last stay on Banff Avenue(see my sleep-deprived review "Bring Your Own Mattress") where because of the prime location, they don't have to care about incidental things such as guests' sleep.
But the Banff International Hotel was different & all-around super!
Every single staff member greeted us, and one- I didn't get her name- took the time to explain their $5 per day ice skate rentals for the schoolyard rink kitty corner from the hotel although she was busy covering for someone on a room service run.
The room and beds were excellent, and the housekeeping staff were meticulous each of our three-day stay. It's clear they have backed up the no-smoking expectation at this hotel, because the whole floor was sweet-smelling, along with the rest of the property.
I can't find anything important to critique!
If you forced me to say something negative, I could only say the hotel logo is dumb.

Room Tip: Our room was inward-turning, and so did not have a view. That didn't matter. In Banff, there are...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear DanielBBudapest,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Banff International Hotel.
I am so pleased you gave us 'Banff Ave' hotels another try. We do our best to ensure that our guests not only enjoy our prime location but receive the services they deserve. A good night's sleep is so important to us that when we purchased the hotel in 2012, we replaced with the mattresses with luxurious Sealy pillow-tops.

The staff member that told you about the $5 skate rentals was very happy to read that she was able to help you out.

As you mentioned, we do take our non-smoking policy very seriously and if evidence of smoke is found, we reserve the right to fine.

In response to your comment about our hotel logo... the logo you saw is actually the logo of the hotel before Brewster Hospitality purchased it. Our new logo is more fitting of the Brewster brand!

Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you again!

Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I selected the Banff International for three nights in mid December on the basis of price (cheap) and location (close to downtown, next door to a ski shuttle stop). All I can say is that I was impressed - the quality of the hotel more than exceeded my expectations, and the staff were friendly in the few interactions that I had with them. In fairness to those reading this I did not avail myself of any of the additional services like laundry or the ski storage room (I hired my gear on the mountains), nor did I visit the downstairs restaurant, so I cannot comment on these aspects of the hotel. However, I can certainly say that if you're after a comfortable hotel that provides easy access to Banff and all it has to offer, I would recommend the Banff International Hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear Joshua T,

Thank you for your recent review of the Banff International Hotel.

I am so pleased to read that we were able to exceed your expectations. Our location and services are perfect for guests who are looking for a hassle free stay.

Our laundry and outdoor equipment storage facilities are located in our underground parking. Plenty of signage will help our guests find them easily. Locks for the equipment storage are available at the front desk and the lockers are big enough to store powder skis and snowboards.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back should you return to the Canadian Rockies.

Saskatoon, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

The hotel is clean and the loft rooms are very roomy. The front desk staff were very nice.

The hotel is located in a great place. It is right near downtown. We walked down Banff avenue rather than taking our vehicle for two days. We had a truck (Ford F150) and were able to park it in the underground parking but the other 3 families we spent time with weren't able to park their trucks in the underground parking as their trucks were too tall (They had newer Ford and Chevy trucks).

I had an issue with the wifi/internet access. It was complete crap! (sorry!) Definitely not impressed with that especially since we were there during the holiday season and wanted to Skype with family on the other side of the world in the comfort of our room. They told us when we checked in that it was not the best in the rooms but it was better reception in the lobby. It wasn't any better anywhere in the hotel. I would rather pay for good internet service rather than having poor reception included in the price.

I am unsure if I would choose to stay here again. The loft rooms are great for families and it is good value for your money but the walls are paper thin, you can hear everything in the rooms beside you. Still...clean and great location.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
bihmanagement, Hotel Sales Coordinator at Banff International Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear LoriMcQ1,

Thank you for your recent review of the Banff International Hotel.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed our spacious loft rooms, friendly staff, and great location. Though we are happy to have hosted you during the holiday season, we are upset that our internet service affected communication with your family on the other side of the world. For this, please accept our sincerest apologies. I have forwarded your comments on to our Operating Directors for their review and action. We completely recognize the importance of good internet service and hope to have this issue resolved in the near future.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to host you again in the future.

Season Greetings and a Happy New Year,

Brewster Hospitality

Been to Banff International Hotel? Share your experiences!