“Good Value” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Banff International Hotel

Save Saved
You added Banff International Hotel to your Saves list
Banff International Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   333 Banff Avenue | Box 1040, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1B1, Canada   |
Ranked #25 of 33 hotels in Banff
Canada
“Good Value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stayed here in February 2013 for a weekend and it was exactly as I expected. This is not a high end hotel but is good for what you pay. I recommend you check around on various websites for best pricing because there is variation out there on the same type of room.

I was able to secure a room rate that included breakfast for two at Ricky's Grill onsite. That made it more worth it considering Banff is not exactly affordable in terms of dining. Even the more low end places are expensive but I guess that's Banff. The breakfast is fine - typical family dining fare - little flavour but lots of food with substance.

This is a great hotel in terms of location - in town, walking distance to everything. It's dated but clean. It could use some renovating in their standard rooms. Underground parking is also included which truly is fantastic!

I was under the impression there was a pool but there isn't. Just a hot tub which we passed on. Rather went to the Banff Hot Springs and indulged in the light snow fall while we sat outside in the hot pools. That was excellent.

I would stay at the Banff International again for the location and parking if I was to get a great deal. If it was more than $100-$120/night, would not be worth it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
bihmanagement, Manager on Duty at Banff International Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Alpha

Greetings from the Banff International Hotel!

Thank you for sharing your experience! We are happy to have been a positive part of your Banff holiday.

I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed yourself while staying at our hotel.

I have taken the liberty of sharing your specific comments with the appropriate departments. Thank you for your constructive feedback.

Manager on Duty

Thank you again for sharing with us and we truly look forward to serving you in the near future.

317 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Korean first
Okotoks, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Lovely and clean - helpful staff. But, if you need sleep forget it. The walls are paper thin. We were in a loft room - noise from people stomping up and down the stairs in next door room was so loud it woke us up - could hear conversations word for word. If we stay again will purchase ear plugs. It was not just muffled sound - but clear word for word.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Greetings from the Banff International Hotel!

It was a pleasure for us to host your visit to Banff.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for the constructive comments regarding noise levels, I will be sharing them with the rest of our team as we do use these comments as tools to help us improve.

Thank you for sharing with us and we look forward to serving you again soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Location was great, walking distance to everything downtown. Rooms are updated but small, but how much time do you spend in your room anyway? Underground parking was included but was only 6'1", but the front desk staff was very helpful and had several other parking arrangements that we could use. Would stay there again. Took advantage of the package deal and got hot springs and gondola passes with the room. Good deal. Also bought the add on breakfast package for $16 per person, but could have just paid at the restaurant and been less money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bigpappa

Thank you for sharing your Banff International Hotel experience! We were glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We always strive to ensure our guests are happy during their stay and our team is humbled and found it a joy to have hosted you in -house.

We truly look forward to serving you again on your next Banff getaway.

Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

This hotel looked clean & tidy. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Ben on reception being English was a bonus but he was also very obliging when I had a complaint about the noise in my room. He didnt hesiate to upgrade me to a lovely room with majestic views of the moutnains and over-looking main street, great for people watching!
A great stay.

Room Tip: Ask for external rooms otherwise you dont get a view only other windows.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
bihmanagement, Manager on Duty at Banff International Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Tina

Greetings from the Banff International Hotel!

I was glad to read that you had a good experience while you were staying with us.

As customer service is one of our primary goals, I am pleased to see that the staff made you feel welcome and helped you to have a memorable stay.I will be sure to pass on your nice comments to him.

Thank you again for sharing with us. We look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Regina, Sk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Visited Mid February for some relaxation and recreation. The hotel is located in a fantastic spot close to practically everything. Safeway is next to it for easy access. Downtown shops, dining and clubs are within 1 minute walking distance and access from the highway is very convenient.

The check in process was fast even though there was only 1 staff at the desk. We checked in on a Thursday and noticed that the weekend traffic had lined up Friday and Sat. Lucky us. The rooms were more than adequate. Mini Fridge, Granite counter top in the bathroom. very comfortable beds with great pillows. The heater was excellent (I like it warm) and dried our gloves and boots overnight.
If you are doing any snow-sports, the hotel does not allow your skis, snowboards etc in the room. They provide lockers in the basement parking lot for your storage. Although this seemed like a hassle at first, it kept the room from getting cluttered. Smart idea. There is also a table to make adjustments outside the locker room as well as an iron for those needing to wax.
Underground parking was free and heated. They do not have enough parking if the hotel is at capacity so hope you get there early.

We only dined at Ricky's once but the service was very good. The waitress made some clever jokes and it seemed like everyone was having a good time. Food was average priced but good quality. I would dine there again.

The one unfortunate thing has been mentioned by other guests. The hot tub. Although it may look great in the pictures, it's not. Small and medium warm. After a day on the slopes, this added stress. The sauna however was like an oven. Very nice. Extra towels at the pool area were plentiful.
WIFI was extremely slow. Morse code would be faster.

Overall an average hotel. I would stay again but only after checking out others with better pools.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
bihmanagement, Manager on Duty at Banff International Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Awesomegary

Greetings from the Banff International Hotel!

We were pleased to hear of your pleasant experience while staying with us.

We strive to ensure that our guests are happy during their stay. It is fantastic to hear that you were able to take advantage of the hotel’s facilities, and all we have to offer our guests. I will be sure to pass on your nice comments on to the other departments.

As per the Alberta Health guidelines the Jacuzzi temperatures are to be kept between 30-40 degrees celsius. As a result of guest feedback we now maintain a temperature of 37.5 degrees.

Thank you for sharing your comments with us, we look forward to serving you in the near future.

London, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've been out to Banff a few times and my sister and her boyfriend now live there so I went out for a visit. Being that I wasn't going to be spending much time in our hotel I decided I would go a bit thrifty so I could spend more on dinners out and lift tickets. I was very pleasantly surprised with the Banff International. First, they upgraded my room after a brief chat at the front desk - they asked if I had been to Banff before and saw on my file I was a first time guest. The room was spotless, beds looked and felt new. Now, I must say - this isn't the Fairmont but it also is a 1/5 of the price per night. We had a new flat screen in our room with a decent channel package, it was quiet and the staff were excellent and very friendly. We had a free ski locker downstairs with free secured entrance underground parking. Twice we ate at Ricky's in the hotel, breakfast was decadent and really good. We came back one day after being on the hill and had a few beers and appetizers at the Bar, our Bartender/Waitress was awesome. Gave good recommendations and was great to chat with, even put something together for us that wasn't on the menu. All in all I can't really find a flaw with this hotel, it's definitely the best bang for your buck without compromising cleanliness and location. When coming back I will call Banff International first and ask about prices, this time I went through Priceline and got a killer price but I bet if I call them direct they can beat it. Oh, and they print the Trip Advisor rating weekly and put it on the front desk in a frame - I thought that was awesome.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
bihmanagement, Manager on Duty at Banff International Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Rcferg

Greetings from the Banff International Hotel!

We were pleased to hear of your pleasant experience while staying with us.

We strive to ensure that our guests are happy during their stay. It is fantastic to hear that you were able to take advantage of the hotel’s facilities, and all our town has to offer its guests. We found it a joy to have hosted you in house.

Thank you for sharing your comments with us, we look forward to serving you again in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My boyfriend and I go to banff around twice a year. We are the type to read reviews and stay where sounds good and fits our budget, we got a super deal on this hotel due to a coupon I was able to receive.
We were very pleased, from start to finish. Great front desk staff, very knowledgable and friendly. Even received a free upgrade, which was a good surprise. Probably one of the nicest rooms with a great view.
Some parts of the interior of the hotel were a bit dated, but I could not have asked for much of a better room or a better stay. Everything was clean and quiet. Bed was comfy, public washrooms were clean, underground parking felt secure and taken care of even the exercise room -though small- was nice with great equipment that was well cared for. Even saw into other rooms and they looked just as nice as the one I stayed in.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and I will be back. Location was great.

• Stayed February 2013
bihmanagement, Manager on Duty at Banff International Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Lindsay

Greetings from the Banff International Hotel!

We were pleased to learn of the exceptional experience you received during your recent stay with us.

We always strive to ensure our guests are truly happy with every stay and our team are humbled and found it an equal joy of have you in-house. I have also taken the liberty of sharing your comments with our team members who made an extra positive impact during your stay with us.

Thank you again for sharing with us and we truly look forward to serving you again on a future Banff trip.

Manager on Duty

Been to Banff International Hotel? Share your experiences!