“Good Hotel for a weekend of skiing” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Irwin's Mountain Inn

You added Irwin's Mountain Inn to your Saves list
Irwin's Mountain Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   429 Banff Avenue | Box 1198, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1B2, Canada   |
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Sherwood Park, Canada
“Good Hotel for a weekend of skiing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

We just stayed at the Irwin for the first time in years. We had stayed there in the past and enjoyed it but the hot tub is ridiculous and with young kids, we have always wanted a pool. Now that the kids are older, we decided to give the Irwin another try.

The location is fantastic! You can easily walk into town and there is a lot that is close by. Our room was great. It is a bit on the "tired" side but was clean and very spacious. We had a room on the top floor so it had a vaulted ceiling. The underground parking is very limited and we got the last spot when we arrived at 9:00 on Friday night. If the hotel was full, I'm sure you would have a hard time getting a spot and you would have to park outside.

The hot tub is still ridiculous!! It is so tiny and it was so hot we couldn't stay in it for longer than 5 minutes...maybe they do that to cut down how long people stay because it is so tiny but it really isn't healthy!

Over all, we had a great stay and would stay there again because of its location and good value.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
GM-IMI, General Manager at Irwin's Mountain Inn, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Guest. Thanks for taking the time to review our property. While you have highlighted some great parts of our property, I would like to take the time to correct a few items that are not accurate. Our hot tub is clean. Our hot tub is monitored daily 3 times by our Maintenance staff and our hot tub is a comfy temperature that is deemed healthy by Alberta Health Standards. Our hot tub seats 8 people comfortably. Quite frankly it is a highlight by all of our guests as many use this after a long day on the ski hill or a long day out and about in beautiful Banff. I'm not sure what seems "rediculous" but I would call our tub delightful and well maintained. Our health records on our tub are impecable and can be found online easily as they are all posted on Public Health. Our rooms are clean comfortable and quite affordable and I am proud to announce our 2013 Housekeeping Award of Excellence. This is a hotel association award that our hotel has worked hard to achieve. We are indeed the perfect ski get away. Our staff and location and comfortable beds are hard to beat and our hot tub is a treat to make the days adventure sink into a memory of comfort.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in a two queen bed room. Room was clean, bathroom was well taken care of, simple straightforward room that was a suitable staging place for many outdoor adventures in banff itself. Underground parking was a plus, as was free wireless.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so very much for your most kind remarks. I am so glad you took the time to reflect on your stay with us as it does encourage us and help us to know what our guests are looking for. I am glad you found our rooms clean and comfortable and that the FREE wifi was a plus to your stay. Please come again soon.
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Probably the best value for money available in Banff.

This is a very pleasant hotel, with all the amenities one would expect (plus a few that one would not even expect, such as a gym, a common room, free indoor parking, ski lockers, etc.). It's clean and well maintained. Very friendly staff.

Astonishingly low prices for downtown Banff - room prices start at $79 a night single.

I enjoyed my stay and would happily return.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the building are the quietest.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so very much for your most recent review. I am very glad that you highlighted some of our ammenities that many people do not realize exist here at the Inn. Our recently refurbished gym is one of the top features here at the hotel. With a treadmill, excercise bike, free weights and leg curl machine, we have tried to make the active guest feel at home. Our free ski lockers and free parking a huge plus. Thanks for your comments and I do hope you stay again with us soon. You are right! Our prices are hard to beat!
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed in the King bed suite. It was out dated but clean. The TV channel selection was very minimal. I thought it was decent until we checked out. The person at the front desk forgot to give me my credit card back. They called me half way home to Calgary and said that I forgot it. I asked if they could mail it to my home but they said they would have to charge me to mail it. I asked them to cut it up and I would have to get a new one. If they can't even return my card when they forgot to give it back in the first place then they obviously don't want my repeat business.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
GM-IMI, General Manager at Irwin's Mountain Inn, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Guest, I would like to take the time to correct some very important inaccuricies. Our Housekeeping Department located your credit card shortly after your departure. It is also important to note that standard procedure for any shipping of cards or valuables is done through UPS. This is Hotel protocol. That is for tracking purposes and for your protection. Shoving a card in the mail is just irresponsible. Our video footage is very clear that you never handed us your card. While I am sorry for your percieved inconvenience, we truly did our best to work with you on returning your card and contacting you immediately. It is unfortunate that you think of us "holding a card" back as a means to do business, as there is nothing to gain in doing so. Our call to you was a courtesy and means to solve your issue of leaving your credit card behind, not us holding your card. Our Point of Sale machine has, you, the guest, in the driver's seat with your VISA card, not our Front Office Clerk. That is standard protocol with chip technology. The Irwin's Mountain Inn is both courteous and efficient in response time and it is unfortunate that you were unwilling to recieve the hospitality we were willing to administer. Our apologies and our hope for you to enjoy brighter days in the near future.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

My husband and I, along with our little boy had a 2 night stay at Irwin's recently. We were placed in the furthest room from the elevator, which wasn't great when trying to get large suitcases all the way from the garage to our room - but did work well when the little one decided he wasn't going to sleep one night! Yui on the front desk was lovely, and a big help in deciding what to do during our stay. As others have mentioned, the wi-fi could be temperamental - but then we've found that at every hotel we've stayed at during this trip. The location was good - only a short walk and drive to the main street. We had one breakfast at the on-site restaurant and also found it reasonably expensive for what it was, but considering our room rate (which I think had the second night at half-price), I can't really complain too much - the food was nice and fresh, and sometimes that's lacking when breakfast is included, especially a buffet. Overall, we're glad we stayed here and had a nice stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
GM-IMI, General Manager at Irwin's Mountain Inn, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Your honest review of your stay with us is greatly appreciated. While I know there were some negatives with Wifi and distance, our staff are very good at accomodating those issues when they arise. We agree with you about breakfast and paying a decent price for a good meal. El Toro is one of the staples here in Banff. They present a solid product for the price that is paid. And the food quality is second to none. My hope is that you will remember the great parts that came with your travels. I am so glad that our Front Desk attendant was so helpful. I know she will be so very pleased to see this and read this. I do hope your family stays with us again. I am glad pricepoint served you well in our slow season. Come again soon.
Bracknell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I booked a double room at Irwin's for myself, my wife and our daughter (adult) over the Remembrance weekend. Our daughter lives in Calgary and we have stayed in Banff many times before but never in Irwin's and we were very pleasantly surprised. We had booked the hotel several weeks before based on TA recommendations, price and location, right on Banff Avenue.
Our room was a very good size with the most comfortable beds ever! It also had a microwave, small sink and a fridge. The bathroom was a good size.
The staff were very courteous and efficient.
It was also great to relax in the hotel hot pool after a hike up to the top of Sulphur Mountain, and back down again! The hotel restaurant was great value.
Our daughter has a large truck we we parked with no problem behind the hotel.
The wifi worked well for all of us.
We would definitely recommend Irwin's and look forward to staying there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back which will be away from Banff Avenue, which can be noisy.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
I am so grateful you stayed with us. I am also so glad that all elements of your stay were valued. Our staff will be so pleased to hear that they were of help to you. And I truly am glad you experienced rest and relaxation in our comfy rooms and beds. This is our hope and the image we hope you hold to and come back to again soon. Our biggest joy comes from a guest who experiences a home run hit from thier stay with us. The experience that is Banff can be breathtaking and our hope is that we get out of the way for you to experience the memories that come with spending time with family and friends. Cheers and gratitiude for staying with us and I am so glad that the price point and ammenities were acceptable to you. Please come again soon.
Whitehaven, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

The staff are all super friendly, so much so that I even made really good friends with them myself. They are always helpful and just as excited about being in Banff as you are.
The rooms are great too, they have a lot of room considering how much ski stuff me and my friends brought with us, and very clean. The WiFi connection is a bit tempermemtal, but considering its free you can't really complain.
Also, if your feeling a bit beaten after a day skiing/boarding on the mountains, there is a sauna and hot tub to sooth you.
If your feeling hungry, there is also a restaurant attached to the hotel, which serves delicious food.

I absolutely would stay here again, and I wouldn't hesitate to suggest it to others.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
I am super pleased to hear about your stay with us in Banff. Our staff are amazing and I am very thankful that they made an impact on you. That is our hope and they are most pleased to see a review like this that highlights their efforts. I am enthused that our hotel and it's ammenities met your requirements. Yes, I agree, Wifi can be a bit tricky with such high volume and useage, but really, many of us are coming to unplug from that and enjoy the sights and sounds that make Banff a world class destination. My apologies for the gliches in that area. Our hope is that you will return and enjoy El Toro and it's marvelous menu. Thanks for your kind words to us and we take these reviews very seriously. Cheers to you and safe travels.

Been to Irwin's Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!