“Great value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Irwin's Mountain Inn

Save Saved
You added Irwin's Mountain Inn to your Saves list
Irwin's Mountain Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   429 Banff Avenue | Box 1198, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1B2, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #11 of 33 hotels in Banff
Melbourne, Australia
“Great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

My husband and I, along with our little boy had a 2 night stay at Irwin's recently. We were placed in the furthest room from the elevator, which wasn't great when trying to get large suitcases all the way from the garage to our room - but did work well when the little one decided he wasn't going to sleep one night! Yui on the front desk was lovely, and a big help in deciding what to do during our stay. As others have mentioned, the wi-fi could be temperamental - but then we've found that at every hotel we've stayed at during this trip. The location was good - only a short walk and drive to the main street. We had one breakfast at the on-site restaurant and also found it reasonably expensive for what it was, but considering our room rate (which I think had the second night at half-price), I can't really complain too much - the food was nice and fresh, and sometimes that's lacking when breakfast is included, especially a buffet. Overall, we're glad we stayed here and had a nice stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
GM-IMI, General Manager at Irwin's Mountain Inn, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Your honest review of your stay with us is greatly appreciated. While I know there were some negatives with Wifi and distance, our staff are very good at accomodating those issues when they arise. We agree with you about breakfast and paying a decent price for a good meal. El Toro is one of the staples here in Banff. They present a solid product for the price that is paid. And the food quality is second to none. My hope is that you will remember the great parts that came with your travels. I am so glad that our Front Desk attendant was so helpful. I know she will be so very pleased to see this and read this. I do hope your family stays with us again. I am glad pricepoint served you well in our slow season. Come again soon.

343 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Bracknell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I booked a double room at Irwin's for myself, my wife and our daughter (adult) over the Remembrance weekend. Our daughter lives in Calgary and we have stayed in Banff many times before but never in Irwin's and we were very pleasantly surprised. We had booked the hotel several weeks before based on TA recommendations, price and location, right on Banff Avenue.
Our room was a very good size with the most comfortable beds ever! It also had a microwave, small sink and a fridge. The bathroom was a good size.
The staff were very courteous and efficient.
It was also great to relax in the hotel hot pool after a hike up to the top of Sulphur Mountain, and back down again! The hotel restaurant was great value.
Our daughter has a large truck we we parked with no problem behind the hotel.
The wifi worked well for all of us.
We would definitely recommend Irwin's and look forward to staying there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back which will be away from Banff Avenue, which can be noisy.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
I am so grateful you stayed with us. I am also so glad that all elements of your stay were valued. Our staff will be so pleased to hear that they were of help to you. And I truly am glad you experienced rest and relaxation in our comfy rooms and beds. This is our hope and the image we hope you hold to and come back to again soon. Our biggest joy comes from a guest who experiences a home run hit from thier stay with us. The experience that is Banff can be breathtaking and our hope is that we get out of the way for you to experience the memories that come with spending time with family and friends. Cheers and gratitiude for staying with us and I am so glad that the price point and ammenities were acceptable to you. Please come again soon.
Whitehaven, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

The staff are all super friendly, so much so that I even made really good friends with them myself. They are always helpful and just as excited about being in Banff as you are.
The rooms are great too, they have a lot of room considering how much ski stuff me and my friends brought with us, and very clean. The WiFi connection is a bit tempermemtal, but considering its free you can't really complain.
Also, if your feeling a bit beaten after a day skiing/boarding on the mountains, there is a sauna and hot tub to sooth you.
If your feeling hungry, there is also a restaurant attached to the hotel, which serves delicious food.

I absolutely would stay here again, and I wouldn't hesitate to suggest it to others.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
I am super pleased to hear about your stay with us in Banff. Our staff are amazing and I am very thankful that they made an impact on you. That is our hope and they are most pleased to see a review like this that highlights their efforts. I am enthused that our hotel and it's ammenities met your requirements. Yes, I agree, Wifi can be a bit tricky with such high volume and useage, but really, many of us are coming to unplug from that and enjoy the sights and sounds that make Banff a world class destination. My apologies for the gliches in that area. Our hope is that you will return and enjoy El Toro and it's marvelous menu. Thanks for your kind words to us and we take these reviews very seriously. Cheers to you and safe travels.
Hofheim
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

This is a very reasonable place to stay in Banff. Everything was fine, although nothing really to remember. The room was good, except for the washbasin which is not in the bathroom but in the main room. Wifi is free, but was sometimes unstable. Breakfast is not provided, and the adjacent restaurant (which is under different management) does serve breakfast, but is expensive as it charges for every item separately, so we ended up going to Starbucks.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
I would like to take the time to address some incorrect information surrounding breakfast. El Toro has been in Banff for the last 40 years and has served a memorable dinner and is considered one of Banff's top breakfast locations. The meals are very reasonably priced and our survey's indicate that serving a healthy and warm breakfast meets the needs of our guest far better than a cold self serve breakfast. Thank you for your comments, however, I wanted to point out that matching prices in Banff, El Toro is of the most reasonable for the content that is served. Cheers.
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We had a 2 night stay during the second week of October. The property is well located on Banff Ave with only a ten minute walk into the town centre. Check in was prompt and efficient. Parking is however poor at best. Very limited if your vehicle is too big for underground parking. The decor in the common areas is worn and dated, but the rooms themselves appear to have been recently decorated and are more than acceptable. Comfortable beds, and nice warm powerful shower. Excellent value compared to other properties which are substantially more expensive. We would not hesitate to stay here again if we were chasing this price point in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your most recent review upon your stay with us. The Irwin's Mountain Inn has been in Banff since 1967. It is family owned and operated. The free parking is a rare treat in Banff as it is not always the norm. Our rooms are comfortable, clean and decorated to reflect the mountain atmosphere. I do hope to see you again upon your return to the Banff area. I am glad you found your way to us and the price was right. Cheers.
Saskatoon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed three nights this past Labour Day weekend. I had found an online price that was relatively reasonable ($164 per night I think), and the hotel honoured that offer when I booked direct. The room was a pleasant surprise when we arrived. It was a queen deluxe, with two beds, a nice kitchenette, and a vaulted ceiling. It was spacious and seemed quite clean. Not a lot of amenities offered, but there was underground parking and a nice big jacuzzi and sauna. One of my few complaints was that this room closed unreasonably early, at nine p.m. I believe. Location of the hotel was great, being reasonable walking distance from downtown. Staff were helpful and friendly, and though the hotel shows some wear and tear, the cleaning and maintenance staff seem to do a good job. We would stay again without hesitation if visiting Banff.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thanks Kindly for your most recent review. I am so very glad that we met your expectations during your stay. I am so glad you took advantage of the ammenities that are offered here at the Inn. It is our goal that you leave with a return stay in mind. Thanks again for staying with us and come again soon.
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My boyfriend and I decided to try Irwin's Mountain Inn for the Thanksgiving long weekend. We have stayed at many hotels in Banff but never Irwin's before. We got a great deal online so thought this was a great opportunity to try. We had a very pleasurable stay.

Our room was spacious, comfortable and clean. We were situated on the main floor 2 rooms down from the hot tub and outside our window was a walkway and then the hostel. I was worried that it would be a noisy room and it wasn't at all. There were a few times that I heard loud people in the hallway but they were loud enough that I would have heard them through a castle wall.

The front desk was friendly. We did not get a chance to eat at their restaurant but may try it in the future.

There was underground parking with VERY low ceiling but my Ford Escape just fit!

The location is great as it is a short walk to the main area.

We would definitely choose this hotel again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GM-IMI, General Manager at Irwin's Mountain Inn, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Good day and thank you so very much for your most honest review. I am so pleased you discoverd us and more importantly that your stay with us was a pleasant surprise. That is our hope for every guest. I am so glad you enjoyed the Hot Tub and the clean and spacious rooms. I will be sure to pass on your comments to our staff who are ready and willing to help at a moments notice. Thank you again for staying with us and I sure hope it will turn into a return stay soon. Cheers to you and best of travels in your future.

Been to Irwin's Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!