“Great value in pricey town.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Irwin's Mountain Inn

Save Saved
You added Irwin's Mountain Inn to your Saves list
Irwin's Mountain Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   429 Banff Avenue | Box 1198, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1B2, Canada   |
Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in Banff
Saskatoon
“Great value in pricey town.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed three nights this past Labour Day weekend. I had found an online price that was relatively reasonable ($164 per night I think), and the hotel honoured that offer when I booked direct. The room was a pleasant surprise when we arrived. It was a queen deluxe, with two beds, a nice kitchenette, and a vaulted ceiling. It was spacious and seemed quite clean. Not a lot of amenities offered, but there was underground parking and a nice big jacuzzi and sauna. One of my few complaints was that this room closed unreasonably early, at nine p.m. I believe. Location of the hotel was great, being reasonable walking distance from downtown. Staff were helpful and friendly, and though the hotel shows some wear and tear, the cleaning and maintenance staff seem to do a good job. We would stay again without hesitation if visiting Banff.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
GM-IMI, General Manager at Irwin's Mountain Inn, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thanks Kindly for your most recent review. I am so very glad that we met your expectations during your stay. I am so glad you took advantage of the ammenities that are offered here at the Inn. It is our goal that you leave with a return stay in mind. Thanks again for staying with us and come again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My boyfriend and I decided to try Irwin's Mountain Inn for the Thanksgiving long weekend. We have stayed at many hotels in Banff but never Irwin's before. We got a great deal online so thought this was a great opportunity to try. We had a very pleasurable stay.

Our room was spacious, comfortable and clean. We were situated on the main floor 2 rooms down from the hot tub and outside our window was a walkway and then the hostel. I was worried that it would be a noisy room and it wasn't at all. There were a few times that I heard loud people in the hallway but they were loud enough that I would have heard them through a castle wall.

The front desk was friendly. We did not get a chance to eat at their restaurant but may try it in the future.

There was underground parking with VERY low ceiling but my Ford Escape just fit!

The location is great as it is a short walk to the main area.

We would definitely choose this hotel again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GM-IMI, General Manager at Irwin's Mountain Inn, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Good day and thank you so very much for your most honest review. I am so pleased you discoverd us and more importantly that your stay with us was a pleasant surprise. That is our hope for every guest. I am so glad you enjoyed the Hot Tub and the clean and spacious rooms. I will be sure to pass on your comments to our staff who are ready and willing to help at a moments notice. Thank you again for staying with us and I sure hope it will turn into a return stay soon. Cheers to you and best of travels in your future.
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stayed in this hotel over Thanksgiving long weekend 2013. Hotel is in a great location. Only about a 10 minute walk to the center of downtown. When we arrived to check in there was only one clerk behind the desk and he was on the phone for about 10-15 minutes while we waited to be helped. It would have been nice if he put the phone call on hold so we could check in after the 4 hour drive there. The rooms were nice. Very comfortable beds and spacious. The bathroom was small and awkwardly shaped but overall good. Poor sound proofing. In the mornings we could hear the cleaning staff and kids running around above us. Cleaning staff was very helpful and willing to give us anything we needed Underground parking was convenient. Overall I would stay at this hotel again mostly for the nice beds and good location.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Let me start by apologizing for your Front Desk experience. I am so sorry that you were left feeling unattended to. That is never our intent here but it is clear that you experienced that. Please accept my apologies. What is good is the redemptive portion of your stay. I am very glad that comfort and Housekeeping service met your standards. Our team takes these issues seriously and I am hoping you will come back and experience a much better introduction to our typically warm and welcoming hotel. Thanks for your honesty and I look forward to a much better feedback review from you in the future. Cheers and thanks for your comments.
Richmond Hill, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We had a nice two nights' stay at this hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel was in a very good location. The room was nice, I believe we were on the third floor and had a patio. We were facing Banff Avenue and were over the El Toro restaurant area. We were woken up a couple of times during the night by noise outside the front of the hotel. The noises were probably coming through the air conditioner wall unit. This may be a problem if you're staying here during the busier periods of the year.

Other than that, a good stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I sure would like to thank you for your feedback to us. I am sorry you experience the noise of the bustle of Banff Avenue. The busy summer season can bring some of that as Banff is so absolutely full during this season. My apologies all the same for the noise through the air conditioner. I do want to point out that we are one of only a few hotels in town with Air Conditioning which in Banff is a true premium. I am glad that on the whole your experience with us was positive with staff and comfort. Our spacious 65 rooms are a true treasure and treat for the traveller at any time of year. We do promise comfort and cleanliness. We have worked real hard to make that a true experience from Check In to Check out. Our desk is open 24 hours a day so if any issues arise we are there to make it right. Thanks for staying with us and I do hope you come again really soon.
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed at Irwins just this last weekend for our Wedding Anniversary for three nights. The weather was fabulous and sunny and our room was facing south so we had the sun shining in our room all day. Our room was spacious and in a great location just a ten minute walk from downtown. This weekend Banff was full of coach trippers from all over the world it seemed. Irwins also had a few people staying from coach trips. We met and chatted to lots of people from everywhere. We enjoyed watching a group of people from Spain with cowboy hats on dancing around to the fantastic band playing (Brent Lee) at Wild Bills on Saturday afternoon.
It was such a good weekend that we didn't want to leave. Everyone we met was friendly and happy. Irwins Mountain Inn also made our stay just that much better with the comfy beds and we could also bring our dog at the most reasonable price we have ever paid in Banff. Great trip!

Room Tip: No tips sorry, I want to keep this to ourselves. You will have to go try it as I'm sure all the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay in Banff. It sounds like you experienced the adventures and stories that make Banff this memorable vacation. What a great way to celebrate your anniversary, which a Happy Anniversary by the way. So glad you enjoyed the rooms and the sights and sounds that are truly Banff. Our beds are comfy and our rooms are perfect to lay around and veg if need be. Please come again soon and thanks for sharing your great experiences on our page. It means a lot to us.
SanJuan Islands,Wa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I found this place through trip advisor and felt it would be a good fit, it certainly was. Friendly staff, good location and a great onsite restaurant. Room was very nice, I ended up in a two bed with a kitchenette that would be great for a ski getaway and was scrupulously clean. Banff is a great town and this is a great value.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Hello and thank you so very much for your comments. I am so pleased that the hotel was a fit after you conducted research here on Trip Advisor. That is our hope, that you will see this little gem in Banff. We try so hard to meet expectations on price and on budget with our charming hotel. We've bee around since 1967 and have worked hard to ensure guests return because of great friendly staff and El Toro our partner in making Banff a world class destination. Come again real soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Haven't stayed there in 10 years- found it to be centrally locatd, room good size- nothing special.The building is old, the rooms are furnished with not only the usual beds but two comfortable chairs, a microwave and an in room sink.
Restaurant attached to hotel, seemed busy enough for a Monday night.

Room Tip: Rooms toward the back of the hotel are quieter, noisy if on Banff Ave
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I am very grateful you stayed with us. Thank you for your comments. We are a charming 65 room hotel with a variety of room types for the savy traveller. El Toro has been a part of Irwin's Mountain Inn for over 35 years. They are a fantastic place to dine both in the morning and in the evening for a superior dinner. Our hope is that you will return soon and make memories that are far from ordinary. Our budget property does it's best to ensure customer service is met and that clean rooms are made for your stay to be extraordinary. Thanks for your comments and I hope you will return to experience some new memories. Happy Anniversary.

Been to Irwin's Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!