“Its the staff...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Irwin's Mountain Inn

Save Saved
You added Irwin's Mountain Inn to your Saves list
Irwin's Mountain Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   429 Banff Avenue | Box 1198, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1B2, Canada   |
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Toronto, Canada
“Its the staff...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Read the history of Irwin's Mountain Inn, it is quite fascinating and to stay competitive in Banff is remarkable. This hotel aged gracefully, its not because it is expensive, hotel has very common amenities, clean beddings, clean toilet, hot and cold water, close to downtown just like any hotel in Banff, really nothing much to brag about this hotel but hardworking, honest, efficient staff. The day we arrived was raining hard and cold, we asked the front desk about the "hot springs" in Banff, she kindly informed us that Irwin's has one too and it has the same feel no need to drive, no entrance fee and it is only the two us instead of a crowded pool on top of a mountain. Through an honest staff info, we had a wonderful time relaxing after so many hours of driving. Secondly, the maintenance person was working so hard to keep the underground parking dry knowing guests will be using the space, until the next day staff continually monitors the condition of the underground parking lot. Staff performed their best because I think of the desire to continue to serve the visiting public and preserve the Irwin's legacy.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GM-IMI, General Manager at Irwin's Mountain Inn, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you so very much for your review. I was very encouraged by the review for a number of reasons. The highlighted portion of history that you wrote about was very personal for me. Arlen Irwin, who was the founder of this hotel, passed away about a year ago now. His mother, Elizabeth made the focal point of this property customer service and returning customers. This good will that you wrote about was very moving. It is something we have worked so hard at here. Thanks for the encouragement and the feedback about our front line staff. They are invested in the best interest of the guest. I am so pleased to hear about your experience. Please come again soon! Sincerely-GM.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Retford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We spent 3 nights here when on atour of the Rockies. Ma great stay, staff helpful and the room provided all we needed. We only ate breakfast there once as there are many options for food in banff but the breakfast was good. Quite a walk into Banff but this didn't bother us as we were there to walk. Parking limited and I could imagine in the high seasons would be difficult.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
I would like to take the time to thank you for your most helpful review. I am very glad you enjoyed the El Toro. They serve an amazing Breakfast and Dinner. Their menu is both generous and served with quality and class. We are proud partners of such an achievement. Yes we are just 2 short blocks away from downtown, and this is perfect for the Banff life in the town. Close enough to walk, far enough away to keep away from too much noise. Our parking is indeed free and we are glad to offer underground parking for minivans and cars. I am glad you took the time to comment. Your comments are both helpful and wise. Sincerely-GM.
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I had a last minute trip to Banff and was pleasantly surprised to find a great deal at Irwin's Mountain Inn. The desk staff were very pleasant and helpful. The hot tub, exercise facility, secure underground parking, good restaurant attached, ski lockers, etc. all made this a good place to stay in Banff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
GM-IMI, General Manager at Irwin's Mountain Inn, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
I'm super excited to have read your review. Irwin's has tried so hard to be a last minute booking venue and I am pleased that it met your expectations. We keep things simple and uncomplicated here at the Inn. The beauty of our staff has to do with their interaction and genuine interest and bringing you a great experience. We focus on getting you checked into your room and answering questions you might have in sightseeing in beautiful Banff, and experiencing the tours that are available by our tour partners. I am so pleased that you took the time to write about us and I want to thank you for staying with us. Please come again soon.
Sincerely-GM
Crook, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

If you want comfort, clean rooms and helpful staff you won't go far wrong at Irwin's. Yes, the bathroom in 351 is a bit dated, but it's clean and usable. If you need floor to ceiling marble and contemporary bath fittings then Irwin's probably isn't for you, at the end of the day it's an Inn. It's only a few minutes into the centre of town. The adjoining restaurant is fine, both for dinner and breakfast. Please be aware though, nearly every hotel in Banff is affected by the noise of the trains. The drivers have to sound their whistle, whatever time of day, it's not the hotel's fault.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you so much for the review you left for us. I am most pleased that you highlighted the fond aspects of our property. We are in fact a 3 star property and our marketing is catered to those on a budget. Our hotel offers something for everyone as far as room size and number of people. Free WiFi, Free parking, which isn't at every property in Banff, Free Hot Tub, Free Sauna, Free Computer station for keeping in contact at home, and our rooms are kept clean as you stated. The beauty of Banff is the close proximity to nature and the Train Horn is a bit of the history of Banff too. I'm so glad you enjoyed El Toro as well. We are so delighted to hear of your feedback and thank you so much. I hope you come again soon. Sincerely-GM
Warman
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We booked 6 rooms for our family for 3 nights. The rooms were what we expected, the staff very friendly. They had a conference room downstairs which was not being used and they let us use it in the evenings with our family. This helped the kids in that they had a spot to use up some of their energy and the adults had a place for a joint meal and to play games. We could make our own coffee and use the toaster oven or microwave. The facility was dated but worked great for us. Some members in our group used the hot tub. Some took advantage of the good restaurant attached to the hotel.

Room Tip: The suites we had booked for the families who had more children were a nice size and roomy.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
I would like to take the time to thank you for your most kind review of our property. I am so glad we could help with your group size and accomodate your lovely family. Yes, it worked quite nicely for you folks to use our conference room. I was glad our staff was able to assist in that area. We are so proud of the El Toro restaurant and we are so proud of our staff and property and the great strides that have been made to make people like you happy. I hope your travels were delightful. Sincerely-GM
Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Reasonable hotel on the main drag a few blocks from downtown Banff, the upgraded room (with mountain view) I had was large & clean with comfortable beds.

The problems started when I was awoken at 3 am by an incessant loud noise that sounded like someone turning the tap water on & off every 30 seconds & appeared to be coming from the unit above. The night auditor thought the problem might be with the water-saving toilet but didn't want to disturb anyone so put me in another similar room at the other end...fine, tho I didn't get back to sleep until 4 am since I could still hear the noise, tho quite muffled...

Having had my sleep broken in the middle of the night, I slept in a bit the following morning...but there was no empathy shown on the part of the front desk person - they were more concerned whether I no longer needed the other room so they could get it ready for the next sucker...not offering me a later checkout time, or any breakfast discount for their overpriced restaurant or other gesture, like a simple apology, for my troubles.

If the staff had shown a little more professionalism, respect & courtesy, I might have given it a very good rating, but their indifference to my situation rubbed me the wrong way.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
GM-IMI, General Manager at Irwin's Mountain Inn, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thanks kindly for your review. I can see you were very disappointed by your experience of staff at Irwin's Mountain Inn. Let me start by apologizing and attempting to empathize with your experience. Although we did change rooms and we attempted to make right what you experienced as "noise", it seems were unable to do so. On top of that you were looking for a more empathetic experience at the desk, which we were unable to achieve. I hope we could have met that expectation but we were unable. My sincere apology. This is something we will work hard on achieving and I take this review very seriously. And I have investigated this matter to learn we did drop the ball on this experience. I would like to have the chance to have you stay with us again, and I am sorry we did not achieve excellence on your stay. Sincerely-GM.
tel aviv
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We've stayed for 2 nights.
Room is really great.
Spacious, clean, bed is really comfortable.
Theres free wifi!
Free parking.
Nice restaurant right through the lobby.

The staff is really friendly and so helpful in any aspect.we had to drive to Calgary in the snow and the guy in the front desk helped us and calmed us about driving in that weather.

Would highly recommend about this inn and would return as well.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you so much for your most helpful review of Irwin's Mountain Inn. You have taken the time to highlight so many of our ammenities and you have been so kind to take the time to highlight staff who were ready to help. This is very appreciated and it is something we have taken great time and effort to work on. I hope you return real soon to Banff and stay with us again. Our free parking, free wifi and free ammenities of hot tub, sauna and work out facility, is worth mentioning. Thanks again. Sincerely, GM.

Been to Irwin's Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!