“Excellent value, friendly desk staff.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Irwin's Mountain Inn

You added Irwin's Mountain Inn to your Saves list
Irwin's Mountain Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   429 Banff Avenue | Box 1198, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1B2, Canada   |
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Edmonton, Canada
“Excellent value, friendly desk staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I had a last minute trip to Banff and was pleasantly surprised to find a great deal at Irwin's Mountain Inn. The desk staff were very pleasant and helpful. The hot tub, exercise facility, secure underground parking, good restaurant attached, ski lockers, etc. all made this a good place to stay in Banff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mel C
GM-IMI, General Manager at Irwin's Mountain Inn, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
I'm super excited to have read your review. Irwin's has tried so hard to be a last minute booking venue and I am pleased that it met your expectations. We keep things simple and uncomplicated here at the Inn. The beauty of our staff has to do with their interaction and genuine interest and bringing you a great experience. We focus on getting you checked into your room and answering questions you might have in sightseeing in beautiful Banff, and experiencing the tours that are available by our tour partners. I am so pleased that you took the time to write about us and I want to thank you for staying with us. Please come again soon.
Sincerely-GM

Crook, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

If you want comfort, clean rooms and helpful staff you won't go far wrong at Irwin's. Yes, the bathroom in 351 is a bit dated, but it's clean and usable. If you need floor to ceiling marble and contemporary bath fittings then Irwin's probably isn't for you, at the end of the day it's an Inn. It's only a few minutes into the centre of town. The adjoining restaurant is fine, both for dinner and breakfast. Please be aware though, nearly every hotel in Banff is affected by the noise of the trains. The drivers have to sound their whistle, whatever time of day, it's not the hotel's fault.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank MrsMac2605
Thank you so much for the review you left for us. I am most pleased that you highlighted the fond aspects of our property. We are in fact a 3 star property and our marketing is catered to those on a budget. Our hotel offers something for everyone as far as room size and number of people. Free WiFi, Free parking, which isn't at every property in Banff, Free Hot Tub, Free Sauna, Free Computer station for keeping in contact at home, and our rooms are kept clean as you stated. The beauty of Banff is the close proximity to nature and the Train Horn is a bit of the history of Banff too. I'm so glad you enjoyed El Toro as well. We are so delighted to hear of your feedback and thank you so much. I hope you come again soon. Sincerely-GM
Warman
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We booked 6 rooms for our family for 3 nights. The rooms were what we expected, the staff very friendly. They had a conference room downstairs which was not being used and they let us use it in the evenings with our family. This helped the kids in that they had a spot to use up some of their energy and the adults had a place for a joint meal and to play games. We could make our own coffee and use the toaster oven or microwave. The facility was dated but worked great for us. Some members in our group used the hot tub. Some took advantage of the good restaurant attached to the hotel.

Room Tip: The suites we had booked for the families who had more children were a nice size and roomy.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
I would like to take the time to thank you for your most kind review of our property. I am so glad we could help with your group size and accomodate your lovely family. Yes, it worked quite nicely for you folks to use our conference room. I was glad our staff was able to assist in that area. We are so proud of the El Toro restaurant and we are so proud of our staff and property and the great strides that have been made to make people like you happy. I hope your travels were delightful. Sincerely-GM
Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Reasonable hotel on the main drag a few blocks from downtown Banff, the upgraded room (with mountain view) I had was large & clean with comfortable beds.

The problems started when I was awoken at 3 am by an incessant loud noise that sounded like someone turning the tap water on & off every 30 seconds & appeared to be coming from the unit above. The night auditor thought the problem might be with the water-saving toilet but didn't want to disturb anyone so put me in another similar room at the other end...fine, tho I didn't get back to sleep until 4 am since I could still hear the noise, tho quite muffled...

Having had my sleep broken in the middle of the night, I slept in a bit the following morning...but there was no empathy shown on the part of the front desk person - they were more concerned whether I no longer needed the other room so they could get it ready for the next sucker...not offering me a later checkout time, or any breakfast discount for their overpriced restaurant or other gesture, like a simple apology, for my troubles.

If the staff had shown a little more professionalism, respect & courtesy, I might have given it a very good rating, but their indifference to my situation rubbed me the wrong way.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
GM-IMI, General Manager at Irwin's Mountain Inn, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thanks kindly for your review. I can see you were very disappointed by your experience of staff at Irwin's Mountain Inn. Let me start by apologizing and attempting to empathize with your experience. Although we did change rooms and we attempted to make right what you experienced as "noise", it seems were unable to do so. On top of that you were looking for a more empathetic experience at the desk, which we were unable to achieve. I hope we could have met that expectation but we were unable. My sincere apology. This is something we will work hard on achieving and I take this review very seriously. And I have investigated this matter to learn we did drop the ball on this experience. I would like to have the chance to have you stay with us again, and I am sorry we did not achieve excellence on your stay. Sincerely-GM.
tel aviv
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

We've stayed for 2 nights.
Room is really great.
Spacious, clean, bed is really comfortable.
Theres free wifi!
Free parking.
Nice restaurant right through the lobby.

The staff is really friendly and so helpful in any aspect.we had to drive to Calgary in the snow and the guy in the front desk helped us and calmed us about driving in that weather.

Would highly recommend about this inn and would return as well.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank amirag71
Thank you so much for your most helpful review of Irwin's Mountain Inn. You have taken the time to highlight so many of our ammenities and you have been so kind to take the time to highlight staff who were ready to help. This is very appreciated and it is something we have taken great time and effort to work on. I hope you return real soon to Banff and stay with us again. Our free parking, free wifi and free ammenities of hot tub, sauna and work out facility, is worth mentioning. Thanks again. Sincerely, GM.
Newton Abbot, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed at Irwin's for 3 months on my gap year. It's in a lovely situation and only a short walk from the town with lots of shops and restaurants. It has a very nice hot tub that we were in most days after a long day's skiing! The reception staff were especially helpful and really made me feel very welcome.

The adjoining restaurant, El Toro, serves great food and the staff are very happy to help with special requests.

The bus stop is literally outside the hotel to take you to the slopes, with 3 different resorts close by which can suit all abilities.

Can recommend this hotel for people travelling alone or in groups - I'd love to go back next season!

Room Tip: Some rooms have microwaves, all rooms en suite with sink in the sleeping area
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank KathrynC19
GM-IMI, General Manager at Irwin's Mountain Inn, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thanks so much for your review of our property. Thanks for highlighting our ammenities for our future guests. You have highlighted all that we are so proud of here at the Irwin's Mountain Inn. The great access to public transportation is a huge plus for our property. Our Hot Tub is one of the hottest in town. The free WIFI and free parking are also a huge plus to our property and the free ski lockers are a nice added bonus to the many ammenities here at the Irwin's Mountain Inn. Again, many thanks for your stay with us and we hope to see you again real soon.
Steinbach, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I booked Irwin's Mountain Inn for a four night stay (Monday - Thursday) through Hotwire and was very happy both with the value and the quality of the hotel. When we arrived, we were given a free upgrade to a suite which was wonderful. The rooms were very clean and spacious. We ate at the hotel restaurant El Toro three times (2 dinners and 1 breakfast) and each time experienced excellent food and service. The Thursday night Chateaubriand for two special was over the top delicious!! A nice small hotel, close to all the shops and restaurants on Banff Ave. with friendly and prompt service!!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Eunice1966
Thank you so much for your kind review of our property. Your comments are both helpful and appreciated. The Irwin's Mountain Inn is a family owned business in the heart of Banff. Our staff are both personable and helpful. Our goal is to help our guests find what they are looking for in Banff. There are so many sights and sounds and our desk staff have worked hard on being able to provide that information to our guests. Our hotel is both clean and comfortable and our partnership with El Toro has gone on for 35 years! Rates for both hotel and restaurant are unbeatable in Banff. Thanks for your kind review.