“Great place to stay in Banff!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Irwin's Mountain Inn

Save Saved
You added Irwin's Mountain Inn to your Saves list
Irwin's Mountain Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   429 Banff Avenue | Box 1198, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1B2, Canada   |
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Edmonton, Canada
“Great place to stay in Banff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Was very happy with this hotel. Nice clean quiet rooms with a beautiful hot tub. Good restaurant attached that has $5.99 bacon, eggs, hash browns special in the morning before you hit the hill. Safe place to lock up your ski's at night. good location to walk into town. staff were friendly and accommodated special requests. Thanks for the nice stay

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
GM-IMI, General Manager at Irwin's Mountain Inn, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you kindly for your review. We are so very proud of our partnership with the El Toro Restaurant. Our hotel has partnered with them for over 33 years in Banff. They are a wonderful restaurant that showcases a quality breakfast and a quality dinner tha does not compare anywhere in Banff. I am so glad you enjoyed the special breakfast and I do hope you come back again very soon.
Cheers,
GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Like the hot tub very clean feels good after a day of skiing. Room very big and Clean too. Service Excellent. Food is good lots of parking for pick up trucks. Lots of info about the town of banff. Close walk to the night life and Safeway for munches.

• Stayed March 2013
Thanks so very much for your feedback. I'm so glad your stay was pleasurable. Yes the access to the downtown life of Banff is fantastic. Our hot tub ammenity is a hit at this time of year. We keep our tub nice and toasty so that everyone walks out relaxed and refreshed after a long day on the hill or a long hike or a day of shopping.
I do hope you folks return again soon. Thanks for your honest review.
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

This was the best hotel i have stayed at in banff the staff are great the rooms are clean and it has the cleanest public hot tub i have seen in banff. for the price you cant beat it!! The location is good not to far so it is a long walk down town but far enough away that it is nice and quiet. The last time I came here I stayed at the banff aspen lodge and the staff were rude and not accommodating at all they could have cared less that we were staying at there hotel but not at the Irwin I felt like they actually appreciated our business. wich after staying a week and spending that much money you want to feel welcome when you walk thru the front door not like you are a burden. The only bad part of my experience was I did not have a good view but not having a reservation that is more my fault than anything.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Good Day and thank you so much for your honest feedback. We have tried so hard to make our hotel exactly what guests are looking for. Strong customer service, simple touches and common areas that are memorable. Our hot tub and sauna are meant for the skier or family. It's the perfect place to wind down after a long day out on the town. Thanks for your most honest feedback. Cheers and do come again soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We were incredibly surprised with this hotel. Our room was massive and very clean, the TV was modern and great (important for me!), the internet was really fast, and the beds were comfortable.

We had stayed at other hotels in Banff that cost a bit more, and in my opinion this one is just as good, if not better.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review and your honest feedback. We have worked so hard to get our rooms to be simple yet able to deal with the new technologies that have come our way. Our flat screens are big and our WIFI is free and strong. And our rooms are clean and spacious. Thanks so much for your review and I hope to see you areound here again very soon.
Saskatoon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Prior to staying at Irwin's in Banff my wife and I stayed in Calgary at the Hyatt downtown. Though the two hotels are in totally different classes I found Irwin's just as good and even better in some ways. We had a room with a large jacuzzi tub and my first thought was we paid less in Banff for a far nicer room.

There was also something else that really impressed me. There was a fairly loud guest down the hall and I was about to call security as it was quite late. Before I could do so security came up and dealt with the noisy guests in a very respectful but firm manner to the relief of myself and my wife. You really find out the quality of a hotel when the staff have to respond to a bad situation.

I can't think of anything I would recommend; Irwin's is first rate!

Room Tip: I've stayed at Irwin's about five times now and every floor was great but the room with the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
I'd like to take this time to thank you for your kind review. I am so very thankful for your positive feedback on our property and I am so very grateful that you have spoken so highly of your experiences here in Banff. I am so glad your stay with us was good. And I do look forward to seeing you here again in beautiful Banff. With Sincerity.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I came to Banff for the weekend and stayed at Irwin Mountain Inn. Originally, I was only planning on staying 1 night (Sunday). However, a winter storm forced me into Banff a day earlier. When I drove into Banff a day early, without a reservation, I went straight to the Irwin Mountain Inn to see if they could accommodate me. I did so because I was able to book a very good rate online for Sunday, and I thought I might be able to get a similar rate (or close to it) for saturday.

I was wrong about the rate.

When I arrived Saturday, the hotel staff told me that they didn't have any standard rooms left (which is what I had for Sunday). Thats fine. So, i knew id pay more. They then told me that their best rate was 3X the rate I reserved for Sunday. REALLY?!?!! Three times?!?!
I should have walked out then.
I was exhausted though, and in no mood to argue. My flight had been delayed for several hours, and I'd only had 3 hours of sleep. I wanted to sleep, and didn't want a hassle.
I questioned them about the rate. Three times the rate i got for Sunday sounded unreasonable to me. The woman at reception said only that i got a really good rate for Sunday (which they would honour). But, that the best they could do was 3X that rate for Saturday.
I should have walked out but I didn't. I signed the paperwork, but felt more and more during my stay that they had taken advantage of my situation. I left feeling that they had charged me more for Saturday as a penalty for having gotten such a good rate on Sunday.

As for the hotel itself - it was average at best.

The upgraded room I got had enough room to sleep 4 people. It had 2 queen beds, a flat screen TV, a shower/tub, small microwave, and small fridge. It also had a table with 2 chairs. While the room was adequate, it could use a lot of updating. The view from the window of the mountain was nice.

If you are looking for a quiet night sleep, you may not get it if you stay here on the weekend. The hotel rooms are not insulated well for sound. You can hear people coming and going in rooms near to yours. I used ear plugs to muffle the noise out. Thank goodness I had them - the weekends are party central in Banff.

The hotel has a very small sauna and very basic fitness room. Both could use a lot of updating. A lot.

The parking situation was okay. There is underground parking if you have a small vehicle. Larger vehicles have to be parked out back, where there is very limited room.

The restaurant attached to the hotel was really good. I ate breakfast and dinner there one night. The food and service were excellent both times.

The hotel was average, but I won't be back because I can't escape the feeling I was ripped off.

Room Tip: Book online ahead of time to avoid being charged too much for an average room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
GM-IMI, General Manager at Irwin's Mountain Inn, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. I am very sorry that you felt "ripped off" about your stay with us. Although you recieved a very amazing deal Sunday night, Saturday night demand for our industry is high, and our rates, even for a Saturday, are quite reasonable, compared to many other properties in town. It is never the intent for you to feel like you have been somehow taken advantage of. Our rates are by far, some of the best in our town and I encourage you to research that as our word on this is true. I assure you our hotel is quite up to standards on rates and ammenities. We are very competitive and if not more so with the balance of weekday rates and weekend rates. We offer FREE parking, FREE wifi, and FREE workout facility and sauna and hot tub. Noise issues are very rare in our hotel as we have night staff that are very keen on resolving any issue with a simple phone call or a trip down to the desk, which I might ad, is open 24 hours. I assure you the walls are well insulated and that many travellers stay here with that sentiment of having a restful sleep. I am sorry that was not your experience. I'm very glad you enjoyed the El Toro as your choice of dining. I offer you my sincere apology for your frustration, but I give you my assurance, you were far from "ripped off". Our business and staff does an amazing job of keeping guest satisfaction high and keeping rates reasonable for the time of your stay. I assure you our hotel is well maintained and cleaning standards are excellent and our decor is quite well groomed. I would have encouraged you to look further down the street to find a better rate than what we quoted you. I think that may have put things into perspective for you as I do believe our goal is to do our best to please you as a guest with us. Please give us another try. I think you may be surprised and glad you did. I am very confident that you can compare us with many other properties in town and still find that staying with us is "worth" it. Thanks for the feedback and honesty. We will work harder the next time to prevent such an experience.
Hampton, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Nice clean, comfortable room with a great view. Staff was friendly and helpful. I deducted one star because of parking. They have underground parking (a good thing in the winter!) but we were told our rental SUV was too tall and would have to park around back. Parking around back was very limited and tight. Other than this annoyance, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend staying here.

I should note we only stayed one night and didn't get a chance to check out the amenities.

Room Tip: Corner room in back had great views!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks so very much for your feedback surrounding our Inn. We are very grateful for your notes and we are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We do offer FREE parking, FREE wifi, and so many other ammenities that are worth your while. Thanks for your feedback and join us again soon. It's a pleasure to serve you.

Been to Irwin's Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!