“Felt ripped off, hotel needs updating too” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Irwin's Mountain Inn

Save Saved
You added Irwin's Mountain Inn to your Saves list
Irwin's Mountain Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   429 Banff Avenue | Box 1198, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1B2, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #11 of 33 hotels in Banff
Toronto, Canada
“Felt ripped off, hotel needs updating too”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I came to Banff for the weekend and stayed at Irwin Mountain Inn. Originally, I was only planning on staying 1 night (Sunday). However, a winter storm forced me into Banff a day earlier. When I drove into Banff a day early, without a reservation, I went straight to the Irwin Mountain Inn to see if they could accommodate me. I did so because I was able to book a very good rate online for Sunday, and I thought I might be able to get a similar rate (or close to it) for saturday.

I was wrong about the rate.

When I arrived Saturday, the hotel staff told me that they didn't have any standard rooms left (which is what I had for Sunday). Thats fine. So, i knew id pay more. They then told me that their best rate was 3X the rate I reserved for Sunday. REALLY?!?!! Three times?!?!
I should have walked out then.
I was exhausted though, and in no mood to argue. My flight had been delayed for several hours, and I'd only had 3 hours of sleep. I wanted to sleep, and didn't want a hassle.
I questioned them about the rate. Three times the rate i got for Sunday sounded unreasonable to me. The woman at reception said only that i got a really good rate for Sunday (which they would honour). But, that the best they could do was 3X that rate for Saturday.
I should have walked out but I didn't. I signed the paperwork, but felt more and more during my stay that they had taken advantage of my situation. I left feeling that they had charged me more for Saturday as a penalty for having gotten such a good rate on Sunday.

As for the hotel itself - it was average at best.

The upgraded room I got had enough room to sleep 4 people. It had 2 queen beds, a flat screen TV, a shower/tub, small microwave, and small fridge. It also had a table with 2 chairs. While the room was adequate, it could use a lot of updating. The view from the window of the mountain was nice.

If you are looking for a quiet night sleep, you may not get it if you stay here on the weekend. The hotel rooms are not insulated well for sound. You can hear people coming and going in rooms near to yours. I used ear plugs to muffle the noise out. Thank goodness I had them - the weekends are party central in Banff.

The hotel has a very small sauna and very basic fitness room. Both could use a lot of updating. A lot.

The parking situation was okay. There is underground parking if you have a small vehicle. Larger vehicles have to be parked out back, where there is very limited room.

The restaurant attached to the hotel was really good. I ate breakfast and dinner there one night. The food and service were excellent both times.

The hotel was average, but I won't be back because I can't escape the feeling I was ripped off.

Room Tip: Book online ahead of time to avoid being charged too much for an average room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
GM-IMI, General Manager at Irwin's Mountain Inn, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. I am very sorry that you felt "ripped off" about your stay with us. Although you recieved a very amazing deal Sunday night, Saturday night demand for our industry is high, and our rates, even for a Saturday, are quite reasonable, compared to many other properties in town. It is never the intent for you to feel like you have been somehow taken advantage of. Our rates are by far, some of the best in our town and I encourage you to research that as our word on this is true. I assure you our hotel is quite up to standards on rates and ammenities. We are very competitive and if not more so with the balance of weekday rates and weekend rates. We offer FREE parking, FREE wifi, and FREE workout facility and sauna and hot tub. Noise issues are very rare in our hotel as we have night staff that are very keen on resolving any issue with a simple phone call or a trip down to the desk, which I might ad, is open 24 hours. I assure you the walls are well insulated and that many travellers stay here with that sentiment of having a restful sleep. I am sorry that was not your experience. I'm very glad you enjoyed the El Toro as your choice of dining. I offer you my sincere apology for your frustration, but I give you my assurance, you were far from "ripped off". Our business and staff does an amazing job of keeping guest satisfaction high and keeping rates reasonable for the time of your stay. I assure you our hotel is well maintained and cleaning standards are excellent and our decor is quite well groomed. I would have encouraged you to look further down the street to find a better rate than what we quoted you. I think that may have put things into perspective for you as I do believe our goal is to do our best to please you as a guest with us. Please give us another try. I think you may be surprised and glad you did. I am very confident that you can compare us with many other properties in town and still find that staying with us is "worth" it. Thanks for the feedback and honesty. We will work harder the next time to prevent such an experience.

346 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Hampton, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Nice clean, comfortable room with a great view. Staff was friendly and helpful. I deducted one star because of parking. They have underground parking (a good thing in the winter!) but we were told our rental SUV was too tall and would have to park around back. Parking around back was very limited and tight. Other than this annoyance, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend staying here.

I should note we only stayed one night and didn't get a chance to check out the amenities.

Room Tip: Corner room in back had great views!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks so very much for your feedback surrounding our Inn. We are very grateful for your notes and we are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We do offer FREE parking, FREE wifi, and so many other ammenities that are worth your while. Thanks for your feedback and join us again soon. It's a pleasure to serve you.
Sherwood Park, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Stayed for 1 night on our way to BC. Beautiful room, large with 2 queen beds, mini kitchenette, table with 4 leather chairs. Hotel was very clean and amazing staff! Very friendly and very accomodating. Great location and price! Absolutely will stay there again!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so very much for such a positive review! I am so very pleased we met your standards on your stay with us. We take this feedback very seriously and I am so very grateful that you took the time to share with others the benefits of staying with us. Please come again soon and thanks for such a positive feedback.
Calgary, Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I love the location of Irwin's, being a short walk away from the "bustle" of downtown Banff. The road has less traffic, the views are better and the walk makes you feel great!

We arrived on Friday afternoon and were cheerily greeted and swiftly checked in to our King Jacuzzi suite. First impression of the room was decent, though with all the floor space, I think the sofa should be nearest to the door, not the bed (might have helped with the noise...see below). The Jacuzzi was clean and ready to use (it was wonderful!!). Everything looked good at first glance, though it became evident that they could use some upgrades. Nothing really bad to say though. The sheets and towels were clean and that's my biggest worry.

Friday night must have had some sort of Boy's Night Out as the racket in the hallway around 11pm and again at 3am was brutal. Nothing like a bunch of drunk jerks to ruin everyone's sleep! I should have called down to the front desk, but I didn't so that's my own fault. Saturday night was Girls Night Out, but they weren't nearly as raucous. They quieted down within a half hour.

As mentioned by several other reviewers, the staff there are very friendly - always saying hello and smiling in passing - and I appreciate that very much. Happiness is infectious! :)

The parkade is miniscule, so if your car is smaller than 5'10" (clearance), then get a spot early to avoid parking outside. The hotel wasn't full when we got there, so it wasn't an issue, but I can imagine it being a problem on a busy weekend.

Checkout was speedy and the clerk was kind enough to allow us to keep our car in the parkade so we could do some shopping before leaving.

All in all, it was a pleasant enough hotel. Not sure if I'll hurry back next time I'm in Banff as I think I like staying further away from the downtown area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for your open and honest feedback on our Inn. Our goal is to make sure you wish to return again to our Inn. Thanks for the suggestions on the room, which I take very seriously. I am sorry you experienced noise and were frustrated by that. Our 24 hour desk is always available to serve you and to make your stay better. Banff is a gorgeous destination and our staff are always willing to help point you in the right direction for your stay with us. They are able to book tours and various activities at a moments notice. Along with that is our goal to keep you pleased and look out for your future stays in Banff. If our property is too close to downtown, please try our sister property, The Rundlestone Lodge. This may suite your needs better is you are looking for a more elegant property. Thanks again for your great feedback. I hope you will give us another try for the future. I wish you all the best in your travels.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here before, but never with our two children. When we arrived we found that our room was quite small for the four of us. We asked the front desk if they had anything bigger and they moved us to a much larger room free of charge! Great customer service. The front desk staff and housekeeping are VERY helpful and friendly. Will definitely stay again! Great value for money!! Thanks Irwin's!

• Stayed February 2013
Wow! Thanks so much for your feedback. I am so pleased that we were able to accomodate your needs. Our goal is to work with families and ensure they have a fantastic stay. I am so very grateful for your feedback and it helps our staff know how to improve a stay. I wish you well on your travels. Thanks for staying with us. Please come again soon!
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I've stayed here about 15 times over the past 8 years and have found this hotel to be the best priced with a good location. The rooms were fairly clean (some dust bunnies and water marks). The rooms are dated for sure and this hotel badly needs some renovations - ESPECIALLY that hot tub (kind of gross and shut down often). Also note, there is no pool, just an indoor hot tub. The rooms are actually a decent size and if you have kids really try to get the family room - plenty of space and a balcony. The staff has always been friendly and very accomodating. I've eaten breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the restaurant a few times over the years and I have never ever recieved either good service or good food AND it's pricey too. Save your money and take a quick walk downtown (or to Bumpers!), for those on a budget, Rickis Grill (in the International Hotel I believe) has decent food at ok prices. Also, they do not allow you to take skis or boards to the rooms however, you can easily get around this by bringing equipment through side doors or up the elevator from the parkade. The elevator is small and busy so hoof it up the stairs. If you have lots of bags, you'll have to be patient for one of those bell hop trolleys cause there's only 2 for the whole hotel but if you are going to take one trip with luggage, scam a trolley, load it up and wait for the elevator. If possible, ask for a room on the opposite side of the parkade because there is a tour bus company that parks there often, they leave that bus running and the people getting on and off in the wee morning hours can be bothersome. Furthermore, there is a "party hotel/hostel" on that side and you're guaranteed to be kept up late at night listening to the weekend parties! I have always recommended this hotel to people I know, price and location can't be beat (and it's not a roach motel!). Happy travels.

Room Tip: There is little to no parking! Their underground parkade is very small (20ish stalls or so) and very...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Thanks so very much for your feedback from a repeat customer. I very much appreciate your honesty and your frankness with our property. Our FREE parking is available to all our guests. Our FREE wifi is a huge plus for those wishing to stay in contact on their vacation. Our restaurant partners EL TORO are very reasonable in price point and quality of service. I am very impressed with our restaurant quality and quantity of pricepoint. Our 8 person hot tub is very clean and monitored daily and serves as one of the highlights of many of our guests. And our staff is very willing and eager to help all of our guests for any issues that come your way. Thanks for your positive and constructive feedback. I assure you our price point is tough to beat for the quality of stay at our Inn. Cheers.
fort mcmurray
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Great location and service. Stayed here often over the years. First time I've noticed so many dogs. Which may put me off in future. Especially as I'm going out to car in morning and guest has dogs peeing at entrance. Lazy. Also would like hotel to have pay per view movie option on tvs. Also an irn and board in each rm would be nice. May seem complaining but accomodation is excellent as are staff and EL Toro restuarant food is great.

• Stayed December 2012
Thanks so much for your forth right feedback. Our staff works hard to please all of our guests and this includes repeat guests. Yes we are pet friendly and as many pet owners travel through there are the good and the bad. El Toro is fantastic for breakfast and dining pleasures. The convenience of it being attached to our hotel makes it a true pleasure. Our pricepoint and quality make the Irwin's Mountain Inn a perfect stay for long stay or just over night. Our goal is to keep you coming back again. Thanks again for your most honest feedback.

Been to Irwin's Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!