“Decent place, great location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Irwin's Mountain Inn

You added Irwin's Mountain Inn to your Saves list
Irwin's Mountain Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   429 Banff Avenue | Box 1198, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1B2, Canada   |
Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Calgary, Alberta
“Decent place, great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I love the location of Irwin's, being a short walk away from the "bustle" of downtown Banff. The road has less traffic, the views are better and the walk makes you feel great!

We arrived on Friday afternoon and were cheerily greeted and swiftly checked in to our King Jacuzzi suite. First impression of the room was decent, though with all the floor space, I think the sofa should be nearest to the door, not the bed (might have helped with the noise...see below). The Jacuzzi was clean and ready to use (it was wonderful!!). Everything looked good at first glance, though it became evident that they could use some upgrades. Nothing really bad to say though. The sheets and towels were clean and that's my biggest worry.

Friday night must have had some sort of Boy's Night Out as the racket in the hallway around 11pm and again at 3am was brutal. Nothing like a bunch of drunk jerks to ruin everyone's sleep! I should have called down to the front desk, but I didn't so that's my own fault. Saturday night was Girls Night Out, but they weren't nearly as raucous. They quieted down within a half hour.

As mentioned by several other reviewers, the staff there are very friendly - always saying hello and smiling in passing - and I appreciate that very much. Happiness is infectious! :)

The parkade is miniscule, so if your car is smaller than 5'10" (clearance), then get a spot early to avoid parking outside. The hotel wasn't full when we got there, so it wasn't an issue, but I can imagine it being a problem on a busy weekend.

Checkout was speedy and the clerk was kind enough to allow us to keep our car in the parkade so we could do some shopping before leaving.

All in all, it was a pleasant enough hotel. Not sure if I'll hurry back next time I'm in Banff as I think I like staying further away from the downtown area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GM-IMI, General Manager at Irwin's Mountain Inn, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thanks so much for your open and honest feedback on our Inn. Our goal is to make sure you wish to return again to our Inn. Thanks for the suggestions on the room, which I take very seriously. I am sorry you experienced noise and were frustrated by that. Our 24 hour desk is always available to serve you and to make your stay better. Banff is a gorgeous destination and our staff are always willing to help point you in the right direction for your stay with us. They are able to book tours and various activities at a moments notice. Along with that is our goal to keep you pleased and look out for your future stays in Banff. If our property is too close to downtown, please try our sister property, The Rundlestone Lodge. This may suite your needs better is you are looking for a more elegant property. Thanks again for your great feedback. I hope you will give us another try for the future. I wish you all the best in your travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here before, but never with our two children. When we arrived we found that our room was quite small for the four of us. We asked the front desk if they had anything bigger and they moved us to a much larger room free of charge! Great customer service. The front desk staff and housekeeping are VERY helpful and friendly. Will definitely stay again! Great value for money!! Thanks Irwin's!

• Stayed February 2013
Wow! Thanks so much for your feedback. I am so pleased that we were able to accomodate your needs. Our goal is to work with families and ensure they have a fantastic stay. I am so very grateful for your feedback and it helps our staff know how to improve a stay. I wish you well on your travels. Thanks for staying with us. Please come again soon!
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I've stayed here about 15 times over the past 8 years and have found this hotel to be the best priced with a good location. The rooms were fairly clean (some dust bunnies and water marks). The rooms are dated for sure and this hotel badly needs some renovations - ESPECIALLY that hot tub (kind of gross and shut down often). Also note, there is no pool, just an indoor hot tub. The rooms are actually a decent size and if you have kids really try to get the family room - plenty of space and a balcony. The staff has always been friendly and very accomodating. I've eaten breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the restaurant a few times over the years and I have never ever recieved either good service or good food AND it's pricey too. Save your money and take a quick walk downtown (or to Bumpers!), for those on a budget, Rickis Grill (in the International Hotel I believe) has decent food at ok prices. Also, they do not allow you to take skis or boards to the rooms however, you can easily get around this by bringing equipment through side doors or up the elevator from the parkade. The elevator is small and busy so hoof it up the stairs. If you have lots of bags, you'll have to be patient for one of those bell hop trolleys cause there's only 2 for the whole hotel but if you are going to take one trip with luggage, scam a trolley, load it up and wait for the elevator. If possible, ask for a room on the opposite side of the parkade because there is a tour bus company that parks there often, they leave that bus running and the people getting on and off in the wee morning hours can be bothersome. Furthermore, there is a "party hotel/hostel" on that side and you're guaranteed to be kept up late at night listening to the weekend parties! I have always recommended this hotel to people I know, price and location can't be beat (and it's not a roach motel!). Happy travels.

Room Tip: There is little to no parking! Their underground parkade is very small (20ish stalls or so) and very...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Thanks so very much for your feedback from a repeat customer. I very much appreciate your honesty and your frankness with our property. Our FREE parking is available to all our guests. Our FREE wifi is a huge plus for those wishing to stay in contact on their vacation. Our restaurant partners EL TORO are very reasonable in price point and quality of service. I am very impressed with our restaurant quality and quantity of pricepoint. Our 8 person hot tub is very clean and monitored daily and serves as one of the highlights of many of our guests. And our staff is very willing and eager to help all of our guests for any issues that come your way. Thanks for your positive and constructive feedback. I assure you our price point is tough to beat for the quality of stay at our Inn. Cheers.
fort mcmurray
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Great location and service. Stayed here often over the years. First time I've noticed so many dogs. Which may put me off in future. Especially as I'm going out to car in morning and guest has dogs peeing at entrance. Lazy. Also would like hotel to have pay per view movie option on tvs. Also an irn and board in each rm would be nice. May seem complaining but accomodation is excellent as are staff and EL Toro restuarant food is great.

• Stayed December 2012
Thanks so much for your forth right feedback. Our staff works hard to please all of our guests and this includes repeat guests. Yes we are pet friendly and as many pet owners travel through there are the good and the bad. El Toro is fantastic for breakfast and dining pleasures. The convenience of it being attached to our hotel makes it a true pleasure. Our pricepoint and quality make the Irwin's Mountain Inn a perfect stay for long stay or just over night. Our goal is to keep you coming back again. Thanks again for your most honest feedback.
Brecon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

We stayed here for the first 3 nights of our 2 week road trip through the Rockies. We arrived at the hotel where the lady at reception had everything ready for us and we wer swiftly checked in. We were led to the first room around the corner from reception and our hearts sank... we instantly thought 'this is going to be noisy' with everyone having to come passed our room, but we were pleasently surprised. We didn't hear any of the people passing outside our room, and the hot tub was right opposite our room.
The room was clean and cosy, and even though our window led to a view of the hostel next door, the view of the mountains behind the hotel to the left more than made up for it.
The breakfast in the restaurant next door was amazing! I had a breakfast burrito and didn't need anything to eat till that evening! And the view from the window of the mountains is comething to behold!The evening meals are very yummy too.
The location is brilliant. Far enough away from the noise and bustle in the centre of the town, but the 2 minute walk into centre Banff is beautiful... we spent the first couple of days staring up at the huge, beautiful mountains all around.
I hope I will get the chance to return to Banff again, and Irwin's would be my first choice of accomodation. Thank you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for your feedback to us. I am so pleased we met your expectations of staying with us. Please come back again soon and Banff is so wonderful to come to at any time of year. I wish you well in your future travels.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Stayed here with a medium-sized group of friends, and had a pretty good time overall. We were treated very well, with excellent staff who gave us directions, held baggage, and helped out in many ways. The rooms were spacious and clean with many amenities, and had a nice view. The only slight problem was the people sleeping in the bed closest to the door said that the noise carried from the hallway, making it hard to not to be woken up multiple times. We walked the whole trip and didn't need to drive, mostly due to this place being close to everything in Banff that we wanted to see!
Otherwise, this was a great place and experience, and I would recommend it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks for your great feedback to us. It helps us to improve every guests stay. Our staff are ready and able to serve you and they work hard at keeping guests content and finding great sights and sounds in Banff for you to see. We are only 2 blocks from downtown which makes us the perfect location. Not too close and not to far. Park and walk! So many sights and sounds to make your stay a pleasurable one. Thanks again for staying with us. Please come again soon.
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

It was way better than I was expecting. I went with my family in the Summer and I know that it is pretty difficult to find a good rate and good location in this time but I could find both in the Irwins.
I stayed for 5 days. The housekeepers were always ready to help with our necessities.
In the reception people were very friendly and I don't have any complains.
It was a really good choice. I'll be glad to come back there on day and recommend it. :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thanks so much for your great feedback! I am so pleased we met your expectations of staying with us. Our housekeeping staff is excellent and our desk staff is ready to serve you. Our goal is make every guest want to return and our hope is that this little get away is a memory made for years to come. Thanks again for your great feedback. We are grateful.

Been to Irwin's Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!