“Okay, but filthy pool” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Siding 29 Lodge

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Siding 29 Lodge to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Siding 29 Lodge
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   453 Marten Street | Box 1387, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1B3, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Banff
“Okay, but filthy pool”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Stayed two nights here. It was alright, but I've seen better at this price. My personal preference is a harder bed, but these ones were very very soft & deep and so high I had to jump/climb up, and I'm 5'9. This would be very difficult for anyone with mobility issues, as the bed is higher than your butt, so you can't just sit down.
The room was clean, though not fastidiously so. The plug-ins were HORRIBLE. One was busted and unusable (cracked with chunks missing off the face) and the other was so loose that nothing stayed plugged in to it, and it was way far away from a bed making having a plugged in laptop in bed impossible. This was probably the most annoying thing I found with the room.
The bathroom was weirdly narrow -- there's no reason why some of the space in the main room couldn't be given up to make the bathroom wider. The ceilings are low too -- someone who's tall (6 ft.) would find it annoying.
The pool is utterly filthy and the hot tub unusable due to the excessive chlorine. I stood up with the water to my waist in the hot tub and had an asthma attack and had to be helped out because I couldn't breathe. I recovered quickly once removed from the hot tub and just stayed in the pool. There's a filthy stained mold ring all the way around the pool at the water line with mold on wet spots around the edge.
There is no spot to change at the pool itself and the edge of the pool is extremely narrow. We couldn't pass each other easily without having to be extremely careful not to knock the other in to the pool. There are cheap plastic garden chairs around the edges taking up some precious space and you have to sit or move to get past people due to the narrow edging around the pool. The chairs are covered in dirt/mold and are disgusting. I went swimming anyway for the exercise. Even with doing laps (not easy to do - the pool is really short), the water is really cold. There is no place to change so you have to drip water all the way back to your room, which means the hallway is always wet and then the doorway of our hotel room and bathroom were waterlogged and I had to clean it up. It seems like the pool was an afterthought and sort've jammed in at the last minute without any care or attention. Additionally, the pool is right in front of rooms, and the entire 2nd floor can gawk. Most pools at most hotels I use are usually closed off somewhat, but this one was glass all around to the street and hotel rooms. That's more of a personal preference issue but I found the invasion of privacy was not appreciated.
The breakfast was great, though the oatmeal watery (again, personal preference). The breakfast area is very small - seats only 25. This time of year, it's not so bad, but I can imagine in peak times, it would be difficult to get in.
The staff were friendly & helpful and zero complaints there. Good staff make/break a hotel for me, and they helped making the entire hotel (especially that pool, as I love to swim!) much more tolerable.
Overall, the hotel is fine. A tad overpriced, imo, and needs some general housecleaning done. That pool needs to be emptied and cleaned/stripped of all mold, immediately and those plastic cheap wal-mart chairs tossed. Minor things like scraggly fraying towels and tears in pillows and broken face plates on plug-ins are just sheer laziness on the part of the owners. $40 in repairs and new towels to save customers is a small thing!
Would I stay here again? Maybe. But the problem with a place like Banff is that there are SO many other places that a huge hotel chain like this has zero excuses in slacking off.
...and oh god, that POOL!
For a Best Western Plus, it does not deserve the title 'Plus'. I've stayed an an awful lot of BWs over the years (almost exclusively, to a point) and this 'Plus' one is worse than some regular BWs I've stayed at. Not good, and I will be informing BW HQ about this one.

Room Tip: Rooms in the early 200s are right in front of the pool. The pool is open until 11pm and echoes terri...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Best Western hotels are our choice for hotels when traveling so I was happy to find this one for our visit to Banff. The room, while not very large was comfortable. The underground parking was a HUGE plus. This hotel offers complimentary breakfast with your stay and for the most part, it was pretty good. It's conveniently located and not far from area attractions. If you're looking for an affordable, comfortable hotel, I recommend staying here. Be sure to sign up for BW rewards. The points add up!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Kelowna, British Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Hotel in good location, rooms would be average with our experience in the last month. Most expensive and other than a very good breakfast nothing outstanding about the property. Staff almost bordered on "could care less" attitude when I asked about my request for an upgrade. The customer pays the bills and staff need to be reminded of this, we are there because we choose your facility please give us this respect as there are other choices.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Pearland, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

You don't need to stay at an unfamiliar hotel or fancy lodge when you are in Banff. This BW has everything you need like comfortable and clean rooms, underground parking, and a convenient location. Plus you get a decent breakfast to get you off and running in the morning.

The hotel is basically on the main strip in Banff and close to everything you may need there.
Convenient, economical, and good.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Kamloops, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I always stay in BW in Kelowna and enjoy the rooms, breakfast, and great service. I chose to stay with my family at this hotel based on previous experience with BW. The room was okay but I had asked for a quiet room away from the road. They put us on the other side of the hotel but it overlooks a parking lot for another hotel or apartments and we were woken by late night arguments and car alarms. The towels were torn and ratty. After the first night housekeeping did not stock the room with enough towels or toiletries and when I called front desk, I was told she was the only one working and I would have to come down to get the items. The breakfast was not that great. They kept running out of plates and utensils so staff were washing them by hand. The utensils were coming out with a white film on them. The breakfast room was tiny and seats were difficult to find. The price was good but I think for future visits to Banff, we will stay at a higher quality hotel. Since I let BW know via email of the experience and did not receive a response; I will not stay at another BW anywhere without tons of research.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Three Hills
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Hotel is a short walk to the downtown area, yet away from the hustle & bustle. Did not deal with any staff except check-in and check-out and they were excellent and accommodating. We had a king room w/Jacuzzi and it was great. Breakfast was very good and had a good sized eating area. The area for making toast and selecting food items was a little tight but the rest of the room was quite large and food was constantly being replenished. A very good hotel experience, will definitely stay at this BW again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Alberta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This hotel is one of the older the the banff hotels. The location is great in that it's close the downtown Banff with all the town has to offer. We had booked a two room three bed room.. Yes a room with two rooms and three beds. When we arrived at the hotel late in the evening we were met by a less than enthusiastic hotel clerk who clearly wanted to spend time chatting with a male friend. The next morning we went down to ask for help from reception, again we were treated like we were a bother to the front desk staff member who wanted to chat with the other staff in the back office. I do want to point out that we had excellent service and a warm greeting from the 3rd floor housekeeping and breakfast room staff. I would not stay at this location again, there are much nicer and better maintained hotels in the vicinity.

Room Tip: Third floor room, the housekeeping staff on that floor were amazing and so courteous.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Siding 29 Lodge? Share your experiences!