“Not up to the usual Parks Canada standards” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Tunnel Mountain Village 1 Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Banff
Tunnel Mountain Village 1 Campground
300 Tunnel Mountain Road | 8km from Banff Townsite, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada   |
Prince George, Canada
“Not up to the usual Parks Canada standards”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We stayed here for four nights in August.

Positives:

- the campsite was clean.

- the campsite had a full-sized firepit (not one of the smaller, "let's save the planet, one tree at a time"-sized firepits that seem to be popping up in some campgrounds).

- the campground was still and quiet by 10:30 or so each night.

Negatives:

- when I booked online, I was required to pay, in advance, for a fire permit for every day of our stay. This requirement makes no sense. If by choice or due to rain we didn't have a fire, I still had to pay. The fire permit should be optional. As it happened, we had a campfire on only two days. If the campground needs more revenue, fine, then increase the rates (either the general overnight rate for everyone, or the rate for an optional fire permit).

- the shower building was cleaned once daily and quickly became filthy in between cleanings. Much could be said about why the condition of the shower building deteriorated so quickly, but the bottom line is that it needed to be cleaned more often than once per day.

- in the area where you can pick up firewood, the park had placed a series of concrete barriers in the parking lot a significant distance in front of the piles of firewood, forcing you to park some distance from the firewood and to carry armfuls of wood back to your vehicle. Not the end of the world, but I don't understand why the barriers were there in the first place.

Room Tip: Select a site on the outer edge of each camping area's "ring road." More scenic and m...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

22 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Alberta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

First of all the washrooms were disgusting and were not cleaned the whole time we were there, 3 days. The showers are free but so disgusting I would have never gone in them.
You can only run your generator for 1.5 hours; although a $300,000 motor home came in and ran their generators all night long.
You are not allowed campfires after 11 PM.
Cheap way to stay at Banff but prefer real camping.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as part of our RV trip travelling from Calgary to Vancouver and this place is the first thing I now think of when I think back to the beauty of the Rockies.

Upon check in the friendly staff gave us a "room with a view". We couldn't have got a more breath taking view. No review can do it justice.

The facilities are well maintained and their locations have been well planned.

The staff were amongst the friendliest and helpful we met during our time in Canada.

We were so happy with this site and Banff in general we had to stay for a second night.

Value wise it is spot on, one of the cheapest sites that we stayed in. Approximately $35 a night. Well worth it.

Truely fell in love with the beauty of this place, the perfect RV site.

• Stayed June 2013
Cochrane, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

This was our first time camping and we enjoyed most of our stay. In terms of feeling like we were camping in the middle of the forest we got that, even though this is a large campground, it's organized in a way that you can't really tell that there are lots of other campers around you.

We camped at site J41 - so was on the far outer edge. We only walked about 50m and saw some deer :) The bathrooms were very clean and did not smell. There was no fire pit - not sure which sites had fire pits but they did exist as fires were only allowed in certain areas.

I was a little shocked that I could hear the hwy traffic late at night...but noise does travel. It's extremely close to downtown Banff which is what we wanted.

Room Tip: I liked being on the outer edge of the loop as we were facing right into the forest with no other ca...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hood River, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed in Village Mtn 1 campground in a small motorhome. The campground was fine and met all expectations. What Im going to do is compare the area campgrounds for people traveling in small RVs (24foot) in order to help them choose what campground will work the best for them. This campground does not have hookups. It does feel like more of a typical campground that has individual pull throughs or back in driveways. The spacing between campsites is good and I dont think it feels overcrowded. To me, not having a hookup is not a big deal. The other campgrounds in the Tunnel mtn area do have hookups but the "campground" feeling is lost in my opinion. In order to have a hookup you will need to be OK with parking your RV along a paved or rock road that has a picnic table and a electrical hookup every 100 feet or so. There will be rows and rows of similar RVs very close to you. I enjoy as much privacy as possible so Im glad I chose Village 1. There is bus service that runs from the Trailer camp to town which is very easy to use. There is no bus service from Tunnel Mtn 1. We road our bikes to the bus stop at the Trailer Campground which was about a 5 minute ride or 20 minute walk. I would recommend using the bus if possible to get to and around town. I hope this helps, have fun!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Leiden, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We travelled with two small children and a 25 ft RV. We had a fairly private space, a lot of space and trees. Elk roam around the camping.
Compared to Village 2 this camping offers beter sites.
Although it has a lot of sites, it doesn't feel like a massive place (as Village 2 and Trailer do)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Winnipeg, MB
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Let's start with the good; this is a huge campground with more than 600 sites that is very close to banff. Banff has become such a popular tourist destination that a hotel room is no longer an affordable option for me. My boyfriend and I stayed 3 nights in a tent and had a wonderful time in the Banff area. We were only in the campground after 9 pm most of the time. I would not recommend staying at the campground the whole time. Overall the things I enjoyed in this campground include: proximity to banff, hot showers, plugs in washrooms, unlimited firewood and the view of the mountains. There were, however, a few things that were bothersome
1) cleaning the toilets/ showers at 8:30 am is an inconveniece to people who wish to leave for a trip or for checkout.
2) separating rv's and tents could be nice. We were surrounded by rv's and felt out of place.
3) Lack of privacy was disppointing. With just a few trees around, we were very close to six other sites.
4) lack of hand soap in the toilets. There was hand sanitizer, but it's not the same.
Overall, I would stay there again to save money on accomodations.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Tunnel Mountain Village 1 Campground? Share your experiences!