“Beautiful surroundings!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tunnel Mountain Village 1 Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Banff
Tunnel Mountain Village 1 Campground
You added Tunnel Mountain Village 1 Campground to your Saves list
300 Tunnel Mountain Road | 8km from Banff Townsite, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada   |
Ranked #9 of 18 Specialty Lodging in Banff
Perth, Australia
“Beautiful surroundings!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

This was our first time camping and we enjoyed most of our stay. In terms of feeling like we were camping in the middle of the forest we got that, even though this is a large campground, it's organized in a way that you can't really tell that there are lots of other campers around you.

We camped at site J41 - so was on the far outer edge. We only walked about 50m and saw some deer :) The bathrooms were very clean and did not smell. There was no fire pit - not sure which sites had fire pits but they did exist as fires were only allowed in certain areas.

I was a little shocked that I could hear the hwy traffic late at night...but noise does travel. It's extremely close to downtown Banff which is what we wanted.

Room Tip: I liked being on the outer edge of the loop as we were facing right into the forest with no other ca...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Hood River, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed in Village Mtn 1 campground in a small motorhome. The campground was fine and met all expectations. What Im going to do is compare the area campgrounds for people traveling in small RVs (24foot) in order to help them choose what campground will work the best for them. This campground does not have hookups. It does feel like more of a typical campground that has individual pull throughs or back in driveways. The spacing between campsites is good and I dont think it feels overcrowded. To me, not having a hookup is not a big deal. The other campgrounds in the Tunnel mtn area do have hookups but the "campground" feeling is lost in my opinion. In order to have a hookup you will need to be OK with parking your RV along a paved or rock road that has a picnic table and a electrical hookup every 100 feet or so. There will be rows and rows of similar RVs very close to you. I enjoy as much privacy as possible so Im glad I chose Village 1. There is bus service that runs from the Trailer camp to town which is very easy to use. There is no bus service from Tunnel Mtn 1. We road our bikes to the bus stop at the Trailer Campground which was about a 5 minute ride or 20 minute walk. I would recommend using the bus if possible to get to and around town. I hope this helps, have fun!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Leiden, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We travelled with two small children and a 25 ft RV. We had a fairly private space, a lot of space and trees. Elk roam around the camping.
Compared to Village 2 this camping offers beter sites.
Although it has a lot of sites, it doesn't feel like a massive place (as Village 2 and Trailer do)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Winnipeg, MB
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Let's start with the good; this is a huge campground with more than 600 sites that is very close to banff. Banff has become such a popular tourist destination that a hotel room is no longer an affordable option for me. My boyfriend and I stayed 3 nights in a tent and had a wonderful time in the Banff area. We were only in the campground after 9 pm most of the time. I would not recommend staying at the campground the whole time. Overall the things I enjoyed in this campground include: proximity to banff, hot showers, plugs in washrooms, unlimited firewood and the view of the mountains. There were, however, a few things that were bothersome
1) cleaning the toilets/ showers at 8:30 am is an inconveniece to people who wish to leave for a trip or for checkout.
2) separating rv's and tents could be nice. We were surrounded by rv's and felt out of place.
3) Lack of privacy was disppointing. With just a few trees around, we were very close to six other sites.
4) lack of hand soap in the toilets. There was hand sanitizer, but it's not the same.
Overall, I would stay there again to save money on accomodations.

• Stayed August 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

When I registered Friday evening for a campsite, was given a spot above another with zero trees or privacy. Returned to the office and they gladly changed my spot. Park staff were really friendly. Awoke to elk at the campsite early the first morning. Shower was hot and good. Would recommend booking on an outer loop next time.

• Stayed July 2013
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

This campsite was amazing and we had a room with a view. Set up our tent facing a mountain with snow on it. There were hardly any mosquitos and the campsites were spaced apart nicely. Washrooms were clean and our stay was perfect. It was so nice to wake up in the morning and stretch outside looking at the mountain. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
North Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed one night at Tunnel Mountain Campground in Banff National Park, but I really do wish we stayed longer! We stayed at the most basic of the three sites, (I believe it was number one) but still had a great time. The park provides you with FREE firewood for your fire pit, the washrooms are clean with great showers, and the view is top notch. You crawl out of you tent and have the Rocky Mountains peaking all around you. We even had a visitor at our campsite when a giant Elk decided to stop in and see what we were cooking for dinner!
Spent the next night at Lake Louise campground, however, we definitely preferred Tunnel Mountain!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Tunnel Mountain Village 1 Campground? Share your experiences!