“Cheapest way to stay in Banff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tunnel Mountain Village 1 Campground

Tunnel Mountain Village 1 Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Banff
Tunnel Mountain Village 1 Campground
300 Tunnel Mountain Road | 8km from Banff Townsite, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada   |
Ranked #11 of 19 Specialty lodging in Banff
Winnipeg, MB
“Cheapest way to stay in Banff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Let's start with the good; this is a huge campground with more than 600 sites that is very close to banff. Banff has become such a popular tourist destination that a hotel room is no longer an affordable option for me. My boyfriend and I stayed 3 nights in a tent and had a wonderful time in the Banff area. We were only in the campground after 9 pm most of the time. I would not recommend staying at the campground the whole time. Overall the things I enjoyed in this campground include: proximity to banff, hot showers, plugs in washrooms, unlimited firewood and the view of the mountains. There were, however, a few things that were bothersome
1) cleaning the toilets/ showers at 8:30 am is an inconveniece to people who wish to leave for a trip or for checkout.
2) separating rv's and tents could be nice. We were surrounded by rv's and felt out of place.
3) Lack of privacy was disppointing. With just a few trees around, we were very close to six other sites.
4) lack of hand soap in the toilets. There was hand sanitizer, but it's not the same.
Overall, I would stay there again to save money on accomodations.

• Stayed August 2013

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

When I registered Friday evening for a campsite, was given a spot above another with zero trees or privacy. Returned to the office and they gladly changed my spot. Park staff were really friendly. Awoke to elk at the campsite early the first morning. Shower was hot and good. Would recommend booking on an outer loop next time.

• Stayed July 2013
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

This campsite was amazing and we had a room with a view. Set up our tent facing a mountain with snow on it. There were hardly any mosquitos and the campsites were spaced apart nicely. Washrooms were clean and our stay was perfect. It was so nice to wake up in the morning and stretch outside looking at the mountain. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
North Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed one night at Tunnel Mountain Campground in Banff National Park, but I really do wish we stayed longer! We stayed at the most basic of the three sites, (I believe it was number one) but still had a great time. The park provides you with FREE firewood for your fire pit, the washrooms are clean with great showers, and the view is top notch. You crawl out of you tent and have the Rocky Mountains peaking all around you. We even had a visitor at our campsite when a giant Elk decided to stop in and see what we were cooking for dinner!
Spent the next night at Lake Louise campground, however, we definitely preferred Tunnel Mountain!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
campbell river, bc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I camped in Tunnel Mtn 1 for six nights at the beginning of August. It's much more developed than I'm used to. Generally it was clean, well maintained and comfortable. The view of mountains was great, and in loop C, the sites weren't overly close together. There were mosquitos, but that's just nature.

Most of the other campers for the first five nights seemed to be family groups. They were quiet and took pretty good care to keep their sites clean. Final night there was a group of noisy kids--to my amazement, despite the alcohol after 11 pm ban, it appeared that a taxi delivered them a supply of booze at 11. As noted elsewhere, there wasn't any onsite supervision. I think they were thrown out the next morning, but I was on the road that day.

Still, for the most part, the campground is very pleasant. I was tent camping, and thought the sites were quite fine for tenting.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

This was our first visit to Banff and I had assumed that the campground would be along the lines of what you seen in many US National parks with so-so campsites, scarce and not that clean bathrooms etc...

We were really pleasantly surprised to find clean, well maintained campsites (we were in a tent) easy access to bathrooms which were not only clean but also had hot showers. I had made our reservation online through the Parks Canada website so check in was a breeze.

Would agree with some others comments about noise. The area we were in had lots of 5th wheels and it seemed like all of them were constantly running generators which would have been a bigger deal had we not been so tired from hiking all day. In any case the park rangers came around to remind people of quiet hours every night.

Location wise it's good, easy access to downtown Banff and the highway.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights at this campground this past weekend. We were glad that we had a site on the outskirts of the particular section we were in as the other sites in the interior were literally on top of each other. With so many loud and obnoxious campers that weekend I don't know how anyone that needed sleep in those other sites got any. The bathrooms were disgusting. The shower stalls were full of hair clumps and discarded hair elastics and bars of soap. These bars of soap remained in the same corner of the shower stall the entire weekend so it's pretty clear that the showers aren't cleaned regularly or very well. There was toilet paper strewn about the stall floors which remained there the whole weekend too. I think a bathroom "cleaning" consisted of replacing the toilet paper. I'm certain I will not be going back there again.

Room Tip: If you want a little more privacy and quiet, request a site on the outer loop of the sections.