We just returned from our ten day honeymoon in Banff and spent all ten nights at the Buffallo Mountain Lodge (Premier room). We enjoyed every minute of staying in this hotel. The room itself was lovely, furnished in a modern, lodge fashion, with a log fire and balcony - the balcony looked onto a nearby wood where we saw many elk and then the mountains beyond. There was a huge bathroom with shower and roll top bath. Everything was cleaned daily and toiletries restocked when low, so it was always a delight to come back to after a day skiing.
There is also an outdoor hot tub which we used one evening and is great fun and also a sauna and gym but we didn't use these facilities. The staff are friendly and obliging, even when you accidentally set off the smoke alarm or lock yourself out. They are also an extensive source of knowledge on local attractions and amenities.
There are two food options within the lodge. The main restaurant offers food all day and both the breakfast and dinners we had there were really good, although somewhat expensive. I would say that the evening menu is contemporary and extremely good quality, with a modern take on traditional Canadian cuisine. They use local ingredients such as salmon, wine and caribou.
The second is a small separate restaurant called Cilantros and this was our favourite. They have a small menu of incredibly good Italian dishes and are much cheaper than the main lodge. There are only c. 12 tables which are set around the open kitchen and wood burning pizza oven so the ambience is fantastic.
Most of our evenings were spent in Banff however where there are some exceptional restaurants. At the high end The Maple Leaf is great (similar style of food to the lodge) and customer service is fantastic. In the middle, the Salt Lik is good and offers great food in a modern environment with great atmosphere. Melissas offers good quality food at a very reasonable price.
Some points to bear in mind:
- Buffalo Mountain Lodge is set outside of the town, about a 3 minute bus ride for $2 or a 15 minute walk. It was below minus thirty for most of the time we were there so we took the bus which was always on time. The walk was pleasant when we did brave the elements one day however.
- The walls were very thin, so you can hear what is happening in adjacent rooms. To be honest, this isn't the sort of hotel where you get loud, disruptive guests and hence we didn't find it a problem, but we became familiar with the bedroom habits of the couple next door.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Buffalo Mountain Lodge is a peaceful retreat on Tunnel Mountain in Banff, AB. The lodge is surrounded by 9 acres of towering fir, pine, and spruce trees, yet just a 15 minute walk or 3 minute drive from the shopping, nightlife and restaurants that are on offer in downtown Banff. A favourite visitor pastime is to observe the deer and elk who frequently nibble on the lawn, right outside the lodge's windows. The lodge has 108 guest rooms, an outdoor hot tub, and several options for dining, making it the ideal location for a weekend getaway, wedding, or corporate retreat. Buffalo Mountain Lodge is part of the Canadian Rocky Mountain Resorts' family of companies. Rooms at the lodge have fieldstone wood-burning fireplaces, cozy duvets, LCD televisions and Blu-ray players. Many feature patios or balconies. Each room has been carefully decorated to reflect the mountain lifestyle in Banff-the accommodation is anything but 'cookie cutter.' The outdoor stainless steel hot tub is best enjoyed after an invigorating hike, bike or ski on one of the nearby trails-or perhaps to aid digestion after a sumptuous meal in the lodge's highly acclaimed restaurant, Sleeping Buffalo. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Buffalo Mountain Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Buffalo Mountain Hotel Banff
- Buffalo Mountain Lodge Banff
- Buffulo Mountain Lodge