After a long day of travelling from Quebec City (2 flights with a transit in Toronto), we had arrived at the Calgary Airport. Then about 40 minutes later, boarded the pre-booked Brewster Airport Express bus to Banff, arriving around 7.15pm. The bus ride was comfy and smooth, however, upon arrival in Banff down town, we still have to catch another short taxi ride to the Buffalo Moutain Lodge, albeit a free ride.
Feeling tired, we were asked to fill in some forms at Reception, not something that you would expect after a whole days of travelling ... But to our surprise, our request of a quiet, 2nd floor (with arched ceiling) Premium room with twin beds was granted, far away from the Reception building - really nice! What was better are the views from our own balcony (but not too private as your next door neighbours balcony are just next to yours) - unblocked Mountain views with thick snow everywhere ...
The room was not only spacious, but come with a huge bathroom, with a separate claw legged tub and shower cubicle. Of course, needless to say, there is a real log burning fireplace in the room - our very first experience with a real fireplace (we are from the Tropics, you see). The ambience was so so nice that I started humming to Melissa Manchester's song - outside it could be snowing ...but we never felt so warm. There were lots of storage closets around, hanging bars for winter and skiing clothings I guess - nice for a longer stay!
Now for the negatives -
There are no safe or minibar here. No slippers and dental kit as well. The pillows offered were small and too soft for any neck support, so add a bath towel below the pillow. Location wise, its quite a trek to the down town, especially in the heavy snow.
Staff are all very friendly and helpful. When my husband has a very bad throat, we requested and they sent some free honey to the room for us. They also helped to start the log fire in our room, giving us detailed bus schedule and directions to a medical doctor, touristy places, pharmacies etc. There was also Free wifi in our room, very fast, too!
While staying here, it is strongly advised that you plan your activities according to the local bus schedule if you are not driving. Buy a one day pass at $5, its so worth it, trust me. The gondola ride to the mountain top is a must, though very expensive! But a horse sledge ride is not that nice, so can avoid. Shopping in the down town area is nice, and surprisingly, not too expensive.
After a wonderful two nights here, we again took a free taxi to the Brewster Express Bus station for our ride to down town Calgary. Do not know if there are other direct buses from Banff to down town Calgary but the Brewster one makes a stop at the Calgary Airport first, wasting us sometime before arriving at the Hotel Marriott in down town Calgary.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Buffalo Mountain Lodge is a peaceful retreat on Tunnel Mountain in Banff, AB. The lodge is surrounded by 9 acres of towering fir, pine, and spruce trees, yet just a 15 minute walk or 3 minute drive from the shopping, nightlife and restaurants that are on offer in downtown Banff. A favourite visitor pastime is to observe the deer and elk who frequently nibble on the lawn, right outside the lodge's windows. The lodge has 108 guest rooms, an outdoor hot tub, and several options for dining, making it the ideal location for a weekend getaway, wedding, or corporate retreat. Buffalo Mountain Lodge is part of the Canadian Rocky Mountain Resorts' family of companies. Rooms at the lodge have fieldstone wood-burning fireplaces, cozy duvets, LCD televisions and Blu-ray players. Many feature patios or balconies. Each room has been carefully decorated to reflect the mountain lifestyle in Banff-the accommodation is anything but 'cookie cutter.' The outdoor stainless steel hot tub is best enjoyed after an invigorating hike, bike or ski on one of the nearby trails-or perhaps to aid digestion after a sumptuous meal in the lodge's highly acclaimed restaurant, Sleeping Buffalo. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Buffalo Mountain Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Buffalo Mountain Hotel Banff
- Buffalo Mountain Lodge Banff
- Buffulo Mountain Lodge