“Great rustic weekend getaway ...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Buffalo Mountain Lodge

Save Saved
You added Buffalo Mountain Lodge to your Saves list
Buffalo Mountain Lodge
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   700 Tunnel Mountain Road | P.O. Box 1326, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1B3, Canada   |
Ranked #13 of 33 hotels in Banff
Calgary,Alberta
“Great rustic weekend getaway ...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We decided to head out to Banff for a weekend getaway and Buffalo Mountain Lodge checked all of our "must haves" -smaller place, wood burning fireplace, restaurant on site for breakfast, king size bed and rustic charm.

We booked directly with the hotel online and took advantage of their special with breakfast included. We were able to enjoy the breakfast buffet twice over our stay and were very impressed with the food quality and selection on the buffet. The 9$ difference in price for each nights stay made this a great choice as the buffet was 19$ per person if we hadn't booked it .

We stayed in a Buffalo Room with a king bed on the second floor. The room must have been upgraded within the last few months as there was still green painters tape on the cabinets in the kitchenette. The sofa and chair were new along with upgraded carpet and paint.

We booked this room due to it having a kitchenette and it came in handy to have a small fridge, microwave, stove top and dishes to use. We were able to bring some lunch and snack items with us. There was a coffee maker, kettle and basic utensils along with a dish rack and cloths to make clean up a breeze. There was a 4 person table and the couch was a sofa bed.

We found the bathroom adequate, lots of towels to use, lots of hot water and more than enough counter space. The only thing that seemed to need updating was the warn tub. The grips on the bottom were "grey" in age and they provided a non slip matt to make up for this.

Overall we enjoyed our stay here, would come back again !

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

485 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Brigantine, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

My Husband and I stayed at this wonderful hotel for the last night of our Rockies vacation. Everything from check-in to departure was simply perfect. We booked via hotels.com, which I highly recommend. You will see that some travelers have given this property negative reviews, however, after staying here I cannot see how anyone could have a problem with this hotel. If you are looking for an uber romantic, luxurious stay but with a rustic or lodge like feel, then this is your place! The bathroom is simply beautiful, complete with a heated stone (believe slate) floor, amazing claw foot soaking tub, big enough for two and a nice stall shower. The room itself was really special. Vaulted ceilings make you feel like you are in your own private lodge. Wood burning fireplace (they provide plenty of free firewood and matches) very comfy king size bed with luxurious, warm comforter. Private deck with chairs allow you to get some fresh air, all while sitting in the bathrobe provided in the room. We did not have dinner in the hotel restaurant but the menu looked quite nice. We chose to get take out from Bear Street Tavern (amazing pizza) and enjoy the fireplace in our room. We did order room service for breakfast. Our food was a tad bit cold but please keep in mind that the food is prepared in the kitchen and must travel outside in order to get to your room. We ordered a ton of food, it was delicious and super cheap. This hotel was a perfect way to end our vacation and I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: we were given a room in the furthest bank of rooms, backed up to a wooded area. Very private, extre...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
CRMRManagment, General Manager at Buffalo Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for sharing your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay at Buffalo Mountain Lodge. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed the lodge and the beautiful scenery that surround us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We already loved Buffalo Mountain Lodge however after our wedding last weekend all of our guests enjoyed every aspect and service skills that Kerrie's team and co-workers put forward. The most important thing for us was Kerrie's interest in us picking her venue and enjoying how hard they try to make sure that everything is executed with perfection. We truly respect people that try that hard and actually care.
Thank you very much to Kerrie and all the team that did a great job !

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a patio overlooking the meadows
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I love the wood burning fireplace in the room. My wife and I had a great meal with great wine in the lounge in front of the fireplace too. . The service was attentive and not rushed, we loved the charcuterie platter. Thank you for the great service and atmosphere, we will be back soon.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Before I gave Buffalo Mountain Lodge this very poor review online, I offered them the opportunity to make our bad experience right. I got no response, I recommended their lodge to two other couples and we spent 2 nights each there. Our rooms alone would have totalled more than $1800. My first complaint is that I phoned the lodge prior to arriving to inquire whether there was a toaster or a kettle in our room. I was told there was not. So I lugged up these appliances and then found that both were in the unit. My major complaint was that 45 minutes after our appetizers were served our dinners were served. This was at 9:00 and our reservation was at 7:30. My dinner was salmon and pasta and arrived 5-10 minutes after everyone else's. The salmon was cool and uncooked in the middle and the pasta was a glob, It had to be cut to be eaten and tasted like mush. I told the server I couldn't eat it and was offered another choice. This was at 9:20. I declined. The bill was paid by each couple and I assumed that the meal charge was taken off but it wasn't. I approached the manager who told me that he didn't think our meals were late in arriving but that he would look after the charge for the uneaten meal. I gave him my name and room number. When we checked out the next day, no charges had been removed. I left my name and phone number at the front desk and asked it be given to the dining room manager and haven't head anything from him. I can't believe that a restaurant of this caliber and cost would offer this type of service. The restaurant was not inexpensive.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Buffalo Mountain Lodge. I do apologize for the issues you had while staying with us, the level of service you describe certainly does not meet the standards we strive for.
If you would like to speak to someone further regarding your stay, you can contact bmlalm@crmr.com
Hope to welcome you back in the future.
Beaumont, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I spent 3 nights at the lodge with my husband over Thanksgiving and loved it. This was our second stay at the lodge and we returned because the first experience was so good. It's far enough away from Banff Ave to be quiet and serene but close enough to get there in minutes. The rooms have a rustic feel and the in-room wood burning fireplace is the perfect touch. The restaurant and lounge are everything you would want and more and the service is prompt and professional. A special thanks to Wes, Chris and Bree. They were very personable and made our visit extra special. We plan on returning every year.

Just a note to those complaining about the distance to Banff Ave... There is bus service directly across the street from the front desk. It's less than 5 minutes to Banff Ave. $5.00/day gets you anywhere you want to go including the gondola. Bus times are clearly labeled and there's a web site (scan the code at the bus stop) that lets you accurately plan for the next bus anywhere in Banff. It's convenient and the bus drivers are very accommodating.

Lastly, you can get a buffet breakfast as part of your package. Although it is quite good with a good variety it does not change from day to day. If you like to change it up a little I would suggest against adding it.

Room Tip: I've only stayed in a premium room and they are excellent.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your wonderful comments about your recent stay at Buffalo Mountain Lodge. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Beautiful place to stay. Loved the in room wood burning fireplaces. close to Banff but far enough for a great view! Staff were great and we will definitely be going back. We really enjoyed the hot tub and got lucky to have it all to ourselves. Don't listen to any bad reviews as i feel the fireplace was one of the better ones we have had staying in similar rooms.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Buffalo Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!