“Loved our stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Buffalo Mountain Lodge

Save Saved
You added Buffalo Mountain Lodge to your Saves list
Buffalo Mountain Lodge
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   700 Tunnel Mountain Road | P.O. Box 1326, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1B3, Canada   |
Ranked #13 of 33 hotels in Banff
“Loved our stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

We spend 3 nights at the lodge, and had a very comfortable stay. We love our privacy, and loved that we could come back each night to an easy going-relaxed styled resort. In saying that, when we needed anything the staff at Buffalo Mountain Lodge were very professional and paid particular attention to the small things. We never waited very long for any of our request to be met, and our bellman in particular was very fast in assisting us (within seconds of our call to front desk, our bellman was at our room door). I did not see one staff member without a smile, and greeting you and helping you was done with pleasure. You wouldn't think it was their job, they all seem to love what they do. Our room (a queen) was beautiful and exactly what the pictures depict it to be. We had a beautiful fireplace - that was cleaned and re-stacked everyday - a great bed that wasn't too hard or too soft and a cosy comforter. Our room also featured a balcony (which we unfortunately did not spend too much time on due to the cold weather), and a comfortable bathroom. Our room was cleaned and reset everyday, something that we appreciated so much as the last thing you want to do is rearrange your room after spending all day skiing. I didn't ski on our last morning at the lodge (my legs were jelly, so my partner went by himself), instead I spend time packing and enjoying the warmth of our fireplace. I was so well looked after with our bellman running up a hair straightener up to me as I didn't have a converter plug for mine. Also he carried all of our luggage to the front reception area and stored them while I waited for my partner to return. I made myself comfortable in the lounge/bar area and sat in front of the fireplace. I was served on my the lovely waiters who gave me freshly squeezed orange juice and a lunch menu to choose from. The lodge also features their own restaurant, and although we didn't eat there during our stay, the menu looked delicious!! We were very happy with our stay and would love to come again.

Stayed May 2013
CRMRManagment, General Manager at Buffalo Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful feedback on your recent stay at Buffalo Mountain Lodge. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your overnight accommodations and our friendly/dedicated staff. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Regards,

484 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Tucson, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Spent 3 nights here in beautiful Banff, AB, Canada. Hotel is tucked away in the forest off the main drag. Had a queen room with wood burning fireplace, perfect for a romantic getaway. I booked through booking.com and got a reasonable rate. Hotel is about a 5 min drive from downtown Banff where you will find lots of shops, restaurants and pubs. Hotel staff was courteous, second floor room had balcony that overlooked forest and we had 3 deer visit us during our stay. Room is not large, this is not a place for families with kids but for couples and folks who want to hit the nearby ski slopes. Would recommend as a nice place to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort McMurray, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I generally don't write bad reviews, but I felt people should know about this resort. My boyfriend and I typically stay at Hidden Ridge Resort when we are in Banff, but I got the impression from reviews, friends, etc that the Buffalo Mountain Resort is a higher class hotel, so, when my mother was visiting, we decided to treat her to a wonderful weekend at a swanky resort. Like some of the reviews said before me, the website pictures are terribly misleading - I was so disappointed when I opened the door to our room. There were three of us so I booked a buffalo room with a bedroom separate from the living space. These rooms, or at least the one I was assigned to, are in the old, original buildings from the eighties. I'm sure the rooms in the newer portions of the resort are nicer. Our room was dated, had old carpet, worn down furniture, etc. The actual living space is SO small compared to what you get at the Hidden Ridge so I was super disappointed about that. The bathroom is bigger, so that was a plus, but, not as clean or upgraded. The wood burning fireplace is great, as is the birch wood! There's no TV in the living area which I thought was odd and inconvenient as well - not like all of us were going to hang out in the bedroom to watch tv??? The bedroom was a good size and the beds looked great - I can't comment as I slept on the pull out couch, which was way more comfortable than I was expecting, so that worked out great. Also disappointing was the lack of any sort of view and the hot tub wasn't that great either - it's metal! It was not hot the first night, but seemed to have been corrected the second night. I think the worse thing of all for me was the noise. SO much traffic up and down that road that it kept us up at night. We could also look out your window and see our neighbors, and hear them with the windows open. Certainly not the quiet mountain retreat we had hoped for, that's for sure. On a positive note, I have previously eaten in the restaurant there and it is phenomenal. Also the staff were very, very friendly and accommodating. However, if you want a quiet mountain retreat with stunning views, privacy, and an amazing hot tub also with views, this is not the resort for you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
CRMRManagment, General Manager at Buffalo Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Buffalo Mountain Lodge. We would like to apologize for the issues you encountered while staying with us. I would like to assure you that the updating of our rooms and furniture is a continual process.

Guests are welcome to speak with us during the course of their stay, so issues raised may be rectified and hopefully change their experience.

Hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I recently stayed at the buffalo mountain for a one-night adventure to celebrate my birthday. We had stayed at the Emerald Lake many times so we decided to stay within the CRMR line of hotels. Upon arriving at the Buffalo Mountain the front desk staff was pleasant and gave us instructions and directions to our room. We were in room 806 on the main floor which was nice. Room was an average size with walk out area at back. The fireplace was great and there was wood situated around the hotel not very far from our room. The hot tub needed a bit of work as the jets were not all going and there was a light by the floor which required some attention. Our bathroom was clean, but you could tell it was a bit dated and could use some service. All in all it was a great stay. I would say I like Emerald Lake better, but Buffalo Mountain did just meet my expectation. If you are looking for a room that is clean with wood burning fireplace pick this place. Also the queen bed was very comfortable!

• Stayed April 2013
CRMRManagment, General Manager at Buffalo Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Buffalo Mountain Lodge. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the wood burning fireplace and your bed. We would like to assure you that the update of our guest rooms is a continual process.

Hope to welcome you back again in the future!

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

If you are looking for the perfect mountain chalet experience book the Premier Suite. Post card out your deck, touch of the log cabin, corner rock fireplace with endless birch to burn. Big old soaker tub so bring the salts.Restaurant great selection from artic char to spring lamb.

• Stayed April 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Our Family has stayed at the Buffalo Mountain Lodge over Easter. We stayed in the suite which offers a bedroom with two king size beds and a separate living area featuring a fireplace, a kitchenette and a pull out couch. It was ideal for the five of us including our two year old. We used the fireplace every night. The outdoor hot tub and the exercise room were a favorite with the boys. On Easter the Lodge was very busy but the noise from other guests was acceptable. After Monday if felt like we had the Lodge to ourselves. We enjoyed breakfast at the Sleeping Buffalo Restaurant almost daily. Such great food! It gave us a perfect start to days of skiing.
The staff at the lodge is very friendly, room service was wonderful. We appreciated receiving a fruit bowl when we arrived and the "easter bunny" also left a surprise in our room.

Room Tip: For Travelers with children I would suggest the suites which have a separate bedroom and living area...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
CRMRManagment, General Manager at Buffalo Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Buffalo Mountain Lodge. We are pleased to hear you and your family enjoyed the lodge over the Easter weekend.
Hope to welcome you back again in the future!

Gemunden, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We picked out the Buffalo Mountain Lodge from pictures and reviews while still at home here in Europe. It is indeed a lovely place, well competitively priced for what is offered, has a fantastic location, and a good restaurant.

The Inn consists of some 15 or so buildings up above Banff. The views from the Inn are great, and if you request a room back off of the Tunnel Mountain Road, you will have almost no traffic noise at all, not that this is a busy street, but it is an access road for the area. We had room 817, and had a balcony that faced into the woods, with a side view down into part of Banff. The balcony furniture had not seen the maid for some weeks, but we had no time to sit there anyway.

Our room was very nice, and as you can see from the other reviews and hotel pictures, it too was outfitted with a fireplace. The Inn conveniently has extra firewood stacked up at strategic locations out front, and even up on the balcony next to our room. Interesting for me, as I also have a fireplace at home, is that each piece of wood in the fireplace had been wrapped up in newspaper to aid in starting the fire, a novel idea for me as a European, and since it worked so well, I do that at home now too. There were also a lot of small things in the room that one does not normally find, like a wine bottle corkscrew, that really came in handy and averted our purchasing another one when we picked up wine locally. The bed was good and firm, well pillowed, great comforter, so it was nice to sleep at night with an open door for that fresh cold mountain air.

My one disappointment with the room however was that some of the floor tiles around the WC in the bathroom were loose, and it appeared that they had already been loose due to water damage and amateurishly re-laid and glued once, and were loose again (photo's submitted).

Don't miss the dining room. Eat dinner there! It has a real "Lodge" atmosphere, great high ceiling, open, woody, and the food is terrific. The Chef is very imaginative, and I also have attached some photos of his edible artwork.

Will we come back? Yes, of course. I love the place......

Room Tip: Best is in a building facing the woods, or in the middle of the installation, and then facing Tunnel...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Buffalo Mountain Lodge. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your overnight accomodations and the Sleeping Buffalo Restaurant. We would like to assure you that the updating of our rooms and furniture is continual process and we do appreciate you advising us of the tiles in the bathroom.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future!

Buffalo Mountain Lodge

Been to Buffalo Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!