“nice cabin style hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Buffalo Mountain Lodge

You added Buffalo Mountain Lodge to your Saves list
Buffalo Mountain Lodge
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   700 Tunnel Mountain Road | P.O. Box 1326, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1B3, Canada   |
Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Houston, Texas
“nice cabin style hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

close to everything, and very nice rooms for a good price during ski season. food was average but it close to great restaurants so it doesnt matter. the heated flooring the bathroom was a great touch the the place was very clean.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
CRMRManagment, General Manager at Buffalo Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Buffalo Mountain Lodge. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your overnight accomodations and the heated floors in the bathrooms. I do apologize that you found the food to be average, this is not what we strive for and hope we can welcome you back again in the future to ensure that you do receive the highest quality of food standard we uphold.

Buffalo Mountain Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Salisbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed here for 2 weeks in Jan 2013 as a couple.

First time in Banff, what a lovely town it is.
Buffalo Mountain Lodge is a 3 minute uphill drive from the main Banff Ave. Perfect if you don't need to be staying downtown. Uphill walk would take about 15minutes if not driving.

Our room was #402. First floor one bed apartment. Nice enough living area with kitchenette in corner. 2stove electric hob, sink (no draining area), kettle, coffee maker, toaster, microwave.
Real fireplace in living area (very nice, cleaned and re-stocked daily) 2 seater sofa bed, chair & 4 place dining table. No TV in living area which wasn't an issue for me.
Bedroom is decent size, huge bed, cabinet with big drawers, old 28" CRT TV and VCR. Yes that's a VCR. Unfortunately I am old enough to remember them, although I can't remember the last time I used one.
Bathroom OK. Normal style Canadian/American bath, a bit smaller and shallower than we're used to in England.
Daily housekeeping guys were polite, reliable and effective.
Free wi-fi. Undoubtedly the most unreliable wi-fi I have used in any hotel within the last 5 years, even in the main reception area. Considering how many networks this place has available it's surprising how many were so poor. Thought it was my equipment at first, but tried and struggled with all 5 devices to maintain anything other than email. But if you're going to Banff the chances are that you're not going there to sit in your room anyway, so it was more of an annoyance than a problem for me.
Fairly large outdoor hot tub which I didn't use (too cold!) so can't comment on.
Travel agents in UK claim these apartments sleep 4, I can't imagine 4 people (with ski/board gear) sharing for more than 2 nights.
The apartment heating is warm air which, whilst effective at heating, both my partner and I found to be very dry on the throat.

There is a nice restaurant on site called the Sleeping Buffalo which isn't the cheapest around but served some of the best food I had in Banff, and the breakfasts there are excellent. Full breakfast menu served until 11am, perfect for the odd lazy day.

Gets busier at weekends obviously and on one occasion we had a bunch of noisy and inconsiderate people stay in the apartment below us who refused to be nice after I asked them to respect other peoples peace. One call to front desk and the problem stopped in 5 minutes which was kind of the staff. I hate complaining but the hotel staff (in the middle of the night) were very good.

Overall the Lodge is pretty nice and set in a nice location. Personally I wouldn't like to have to rely on buses or walking to and from town though.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I was here over Christmas with my Father who has not been to Banff since the 70's. I won't say I hated my time in Banff, we loved the views and time away form the hotel, but to be honest I wish I had made a different choice.
We had rooms 808 and 807

Positives;
- There was a fireplace, which I found to be a treat in MY room
- Check in and check out was very fast.
- There were lots of people, but it was still quiet for us.
- TV has been upgraded and there was a BluRay player.
- The Christmas buffet was 'okay'.
- Staff was friendly.
- These are the single Lodge Queen rooms and the size was great for one person, I thought.

Negatives;
-There was a fireplace in my Father's room, but at first the flu was stuck closed (even though latch was pulled correctly), and a room full of smoke was no fun. It was then stuck OPEN, and a super dry room at night was not fun either.
- In my room the weather stripping under the door was off, so the first night it was COLD. I did not realize the exact issue until morning. It was fixed, but I do question how it was not caught before. I had no front 'facing' on the sink/table, so it was exposed bare wood with nails. The top was nice granite, and the sink was new, but the tub was ancient so over-all the entire look was 'unfinished'.
- In my father's room he had drawers in his cabinet, in mine there were none.
- In my room the carpet had shrunk away from the wall.
- Internet connection was inconsistent and slow, and kicked you off.
- We had dinner in the restaurant on the 24th. I eat out about once a month only, at generally nice places, and can honestly say for the 'price point' I felt gypped portion-wise. I also did not like pulling out my chair and finding dirty napkins on the seat.
- There was a mysterious dried brown crusty material on the wall of bathroom and body hair in bathtub when I checked in.

I loved Banff itself for Christmas. The views were great in and around town, with many exclelent dining options from greasy spoon to fine, and a whole number of different languages being spoken down the street.

It's a young crew working here at this lodge. They were all very nice, and I refused to raise a stink over the holidays and just rolled with it. But I'm not going back there. Too many other options.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
CRMRManagment, General Manager at Buffalo Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Buffalo Mountain Lodge. I do apologize that you had issues with your overnight accomodations, but there was also some things that you did enjoy with your room. We do strive to ensure that are guest rooms are maintained and fix issues once they are reported to us, so thank you for advising us of that issue with the weather stripping. I hope we are able to welcome you back again in the future!

Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

The hotel was clean, a tiny bit outdated (older looking bathroom and furnishings), and the walls were quite thin. We could hear the showers from the other hotel rooms, and could constantly hear the partying kids who stayed next door. We stayed over the holidays, and I'm sure one could find a nicer hotel for a better price. You also need to take a bus/drive into "town," so we found it was pricey for being far as well.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We got a good deal on a room here, with fireplace, over the crowded Xmas holidays so I was happy to book it. It was okay; our experience as not as bad as others on this site, but overall the accommodation was just okay. The bed was super comfortable but the room was a little 'old.' There was no fridge. I had called to ask about bathrobe-availability, had been told 'yes', but there were none there. They agreed to bring some over, and did, but my robe had a rip in it and the pocket was coming off. The fire was set every day and the wood is supplied and easily accessible outside. Parking is a bit of a scramble...supposed to be right outside your door, but likely as not someone else takes your spot. We did hear the folks above us coming and going, talking, and carrying on. Wireless was dodgy and actually went down on one day so our connections were always sketchy. TV was fine with a big LG flatscreen. They had replaced the baseboard or something and the carpet did not meet the wall so the edges looked very raggy...bathtub was old but the shower was nice. We had two chairs in front of the fireplace, not the coziest in the world, but fine. The staff were not particularly friendly - no waves or smiles from the folks as they went about their business on the little carts (unlike Douglas Fir, last Xmas, where everyone was super friendly.) But here's an idea that struck me: if you bring a large group to Banff and you want a condo, with kitchen, but you need a couple of extra rooms for those who don't fit in the condo but will be over there visiting with you all the time, rent one of the many styles of condos at Douglas Fir and pick up a couple of extra bedrooms at Buffalo Mountains. It's right across the road so easy access. Oh, and there's a bus-stop to take you down to town right across the street. There's a steamy hot-tub too, outside, that looked really inviting but we did not go in.

Room Tip: There are many different types of buildings and apparently some are more modern than others, so ask.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Buffalo Mountain Lodge for one night and our experience was great! Our friends had stayed the night before and weren't satisfied with their first room, so they upgraded both our rooms for the next night for only $25 each. Beautiful rustic rooms, working fireplace, flat screen TV, very comfortable king size bed, claw foot bath tub and shower. Beautiful mountain views and cozy atmosphere. Expensive stay, but for a special night in the mountains for the rustic experience, I would definitely return, but only for the same type of room!

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Buffalo Mountain Lodge. I am pleased to hear that we were able to fix the issues with your accomodations. Our Premier rooms have all been recently upgraded to offer all the amenities that you would require. Hope to welcome you back again soon!

Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I have travelled extensively for work and pleasure for the last 30 years and have never been more disappointed in a reservation than I was this past weekend at the Buffalo Mt Lodge. I made my reservation over the phone directly with the front desk and drove 12 hrs to Banff for a weekend in the mountains between Christmas and New Years. I chose this property after receiving several recommendations from friends and reviewing the website information and photos. Our room did not in any way even remotely resemble the photos on the website. Yes, we did have a fieldstone fireplace but that is where any resemblance ended. No claw foot tub, no heated tile floor, no balcony, no pine walls or ceilings, no comfy chairs in front of the fireplace, and it goes on and on. Our "one bedroom suite" was run down, dirty, and anything but cozy and comfortable. The carpet was worn out and heavily stained. The furniture was the same. My wife insisted that I cover the chair and couch with blankets before she would sit on either. The room (101) was an obvious purgatory for not quite ready for retirement furniture from other rooms throughout the resort. When I returned to the front desk to seek alternative accommodations I was told the property was sold out and there were no options for me. I was also told that should I leave, I had missed the cancellation deadline and I would be charged for the first night. Shortly afterwards I also discovered that there were no other accommodations available for the following night anywhere in Banff. I could walk and pay for a single night at the Buffalo Mt Lodge (the penalty for missing the cancellation deadline) and find new accommodations elsewhere for the first night and then drive 12 hrs home the next day, or simply stay which we chose to do. To make the situation even more difficult, the cleaning staff did not arrive the second day to clean the room until just before 5:00 pm. We were getting ready for a dinner reservation in town and declined the cleaning but did request several items for the room. We did receive matches and paper to start a fire but did not receive the clean towels or the replacement candle that we requested. We listened to every footstep and every conversation that the people in the room above had for two days and two nights and listened to their two dogs bark nonstop every minute that their owners left the room. Almost no sound barrier between the rooms.
Had I been told upfront on the telephone when I made my reservation that this room in no way resembled the accommodations described or depicted on the website, I could have made a choice as to whether I was willing to pay $309 per night plus tax for this property. I was not given that opportunity and was terribly disappointed upon our arrival and had almost no alternate options at that point. This property website in no way depicts the full resort. The friends that recommended this property were not aware of the older, run down section of the resort and we were completely unaware. We paid just shy of $700 for two nights, were terribly disappointed, and feel this property completely misrepresents itself. The rooms on the website may be worth the high prices charged but ours was not and in all of my travels, I have never felt so overcharged. Be sure that you ask and confirm which rooms you are assigned before you commit to this property. Beware!

Room Tip: Be sure that you confirm which room you are reserving. If you are expecting the room to look like th...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
CRMRManagment, General Manager at Buffalo Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with Buffalo Mountain Lodge. I do apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We would like to discuss your recent stay with us, so please do contact us at bmlalm@crmr.com
Take care and warm regards,
Buffalo Mountain Lodge

Been to Buffalo Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!