“Never Again” 2 of 5 stars
Review of King Edward Hotel

You added King Edward Hotel to your Saves list
King Edward Hotel
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   137 Banff Avenue, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1A6, Canada   |
Ranked #25 of 34 Banff B&B and Inns
Sherwood Park, Canada
“Never Again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

My wife and I stayed here and thinking the a hotel in the middle of Down Town Banff couldn't be all that bad but it was a bit disappointing. I am not picky at all. I don't care that there is no lobby and only a small front desk to check I and out of. I don't care that the rooms themselves are really small. I don't plan on spending time in my room doing much more than sleeping anyway. As my wife and I always do we check for bed bugs before we do anything. We didn't find any but did find it interesting the between the mattresses on both beds there were bug traps. We had a room with 2 twin beds. Super small but ok if you are a couple buddies travelling and just need a place to sleep between ski days. 1 bed was firm and the other one you could only say was worn out beyond its normal life cycle should be. You could just look at it and tell it was done as there was a large visible slope to the middle of the bed. The bathroom was good enough, out of date but clean. The fridge, coffee maker and TV all worked so no complaints there. As you can read on others posts this hotel is not very sound proof. You can hear everything happening in the rooms around you. Everything ! Again not anything that I can not handle.
The issue that brought my rating down to a poor was the fact that I had the worst sleep I have ever had in a hotel ever. Since the 1 little bed was worn out so bad I ended up sleeping on the other little bed with my wife. I can tell you it is way to small for 2 people to sleep on together. It was also warm in our room ( 26C ) all night with no help by lowering the temperature of the thermostat. I opened the window to cool down the room but since this hotel is in the best location in Banff it is also the busiest and with people all having a good time out on the streets below till late into the night it was loud. After the room cooled down I was up again to close the window. after a little while the room was hot again so I opened the window again. As you can see with this going on I was up all night just trying to get comfortable. You would think that being in this location that they could really make this place a great hotel but looks like they are just doing the minimum. It cost just over a hundred dollars for the night an I recommend that if you can handle what I have written then this is the place for you but if you want a bit more comfort spend the extra money and go to one of the many other hotels available in Banff. I know I will as I won’t be returning to this hotel again.

Room Tip: There is a nice hotel across the street that is much more comfortable for around the same amount.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Perfect location in the heart of town, for a very reasonable price.

We stayed in a king bed room which was very comfortable with a nice clean bathroom, fridge and coffee machine.

Great service from everyone at the front desk and will definitely be staying here again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Had a double single-bed room over looking Banff Ave. Room isn't big but was simple and worked great! Wifi, hdtv with cable, 2nd floor of the building. The hotel was cheap and parking around the corner was free. I'll stay again!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Sun Peaks, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Stayed hear at the end of our road trip through Canada. Was pleasantly surprised great room price, large room, clean, tidy and quiet. Most importantly fantastic location walking distance to all shops, restaurants and bars!! Front desk staff very accommodating and helpful. Very close proximity to shuttle bus's to mountain as well which is handy. Would defiantly recommend and stay hear again!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Seoul, South Korea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights and enjoyed totally.
Especially this is a little bit cheaper than other hotels.
I was a little surprised at the reception. It was so small that I thought it was rather a kiosk.
Getting earlier than check-in time, they kept my luggage. But there's no locker.

If you don't care of breakfast service, this is for you. I think that's the reason it's cheaper for its location. I had some choices to have breakfast around here. I recommend you Starbucks. Banff Ave on weekend or holiday night can prevent you sleeping. I stayed there.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

You can't beat the location, you're right in the middle of everything. They do have heated underground parking for about a 5$ fee, but if you want to use your car, parking in the free lot behind the hotel was fine for us. Rooms were clean and quiet (we went during the week) and we were on the third floor, with a small room and queen sized bed. The bathroom was good, plenty of hot water for showers. The only thing that they could improve on is the mattresses. My boyfriend and I had sore backs after sleeping on their beds, we tried sleeping at the foot of the mattress, but still sore. Good thing the hot springs are not far away! Like I said, budget. =D

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed one night at the end of June on a roadtrip.
First off the location is great.
Right on the main street in Banff and walking distance to restaurants, shops, etc.
Its awkward because of a couple of reasons. One the parking is a couple blocks away and two, to get to the room, you take an elevator which you need a key for.
Reception staff were all nice. After a certain hour, the lobby is locked off... makes us wonder 'what terrible thing happened?'....
The room was clean but the sofa and carpet looked aged and dingy... we wouldn't touch the sofa and we kept our flip flops on. It was quiet. No issues.
There are no frills with the room. No coffee pot...
It was ok for us for the one night.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to King Edward Hotel? Share your experiences!