“Amazing time-would do it again in a heart beat!” 5 of 5 stars

$68*
and up
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Rafting on the Kicking Horse is a MUST DO activity during your vacation to the Canadian Rockies.Hydra River Guides has been introducing visitors to whitewater rafting since 1986. We offer trips to suit all budgets and abilities. Are you ready to join us?
Saskatoon, Canada
“Amazing time-would do it again in a heart beat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

This was such an amazing tour! totally workth the money. My boyfriend and I signed up for the zip lining and rafting tour! So good!! you Zip line into the rafting grounds, they feed you a great BBQ and then get about a half hour safety speech and then you sail off. We went the first week of Sept 2012 and it was great. the water is lower than usual bc the glaciers are starting to freeze by this time of year. We hit many rapids and one being a level 4 as our instructor hanna told us. We had a blast. it was definetely full of excitement and laughter. Some adrenaline when we were snagged on a rock - but our great instructor Hanna pulled us through and knew exactly what to do and how to keep us calm and trust her. I would fully, 100% recommend these guys. They were friendly and knowledgable and just a great group to go with whether your experienced or not! Cant wait to come back and try the ultimate :)

Visited September 2012

Alamo, California
5 attraction reviews
“Fun experience and am going back again in higher waters”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

The river rafting experience was a great one - our guide Hanna made it even greater, she was great in giving safety instructions but even better in manouvering the raft through the rocks and the waters. My six year old son loved it for the easy part and then he got off and I went to the end. These guys are good and my first experience but now I am hooked. Very organized operation and the burgers and lunch were a nice touch to a great day.

Very cool - anybody going to the Banff area should definitely go - would be my number one activity to do and Hydra was great for us.

Visited August 2012
HydraBanff, General Manager at Hydra River Guides, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our rafting product. We strive to offer a safe and fun rafting experience. Glad to hear you are hooked on rafting, we are too!
If you are ever in the area again, we would love to see you!
Kind regards,
Tanya
Gananoque, Canada
“An awesome experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Hydra River Guides started out explaining safety procedures, plan A's, plan B's, and as they called it plan Z's. Hydra was very organized when handing out gear, with a big group they had everyone taken care of in minutes. As a single traveler I found the river guides did a great job at starting conversation amongst everyone in the raft, by the end of the rapids everyone was chatting amongst each other effortlessly and new friendships were being made.
The rapids were a great first start, class 3 and 4 in August. They get more intense in the spring with the water level change but I had a great first time rafting in August. During some parts of the rafting tour when safe they will let you jump out of the raft and float for a bit down the river with the current, it was awesome. While your rafting they take your photos at designated points and offer them to you for purchase at the end of you tour, I bought the photo CD and was extremely happy with it.
After all of your hard work they put on a BBQ lunch with a few basic salads and burgers. They do veggie burgers as well!
I'd recommend Hydra River Guides for white water rafting in Banff area. I had a great time!

Sydney, Australia
“A great afternoon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

Me and the wife went white water rafting on the Kicking Horse River last week. Everything was great. barbeque lunch wasn't bad, safety demonstration and talk seemed comprehensive and thorough but easy to understand. Then the rafting was great - I've never been before and found the combo of grade 3 & 4 rapids really fun. All the staff were great, especially Yan (or Jan??) who was our guide on the boat.

something to note, if you want to do the long and more difficult stretch of the river, which costs more, Hydra need 15 people minimum, so even if you book, you might only be able to do the 'regular' trip. However, when we were there, people who booked for the longer trip had their credit cards refunded the extra immediately after the trip. when booking, it might be wise to ask how many people have booked onto this add-on.

All in all, a great experience and for $109 each, a pretty good deal.

Rob

we found that booking through the office in Banff was easy...

Winnipeg, Canada
13 attraction reviews
“Even if you don't love rafting, you'll love rafting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

This was something my husband wanted to do, and I went along. I'm glad I did! Yan (I think I called him Yam for the first half hour) was an awesome guide. He knew what he was doing in the raft, he had a personality, and don't get me wrong, I love my Aussies and Kiwi's, but he's from Alberta and had a different attachment to the river. Great times for this over 40 years-old lady!

We went in the afternoon, and from the brochure we weren't sure if it was eat and raft or raft then eat. We ate before we left, and then found out they had food. Oh well - next time. The brochure also said to give yourself 1.5 hours to get there from Banff. With construction, it took us closer to two hours. No worries, as they were eating! They accidentally gave us the wrong CD of pictures. One call later, we had them all and not a problem in sight. If you're looking for something exciting to do, and have a full day to do it in, check them out.

Visited August 2012
Many thanks for your kind and honest review. Jan (or Yam - we loved that!) is a very experienced and passionate guide. We are pleased you had a great time rafting with us and hope to see you again soon. Hopefully next time you will get to enjoy our delicious BBQ lunch!

Kind regards,