“A-maz-ing” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
“A-maz-ing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

My wife and I went to banff for the weekend to ski. We ended up reviewing the Storm Mountain Lodge and restaurant on trip advisor and it didn't disappoint. The place is like a trip into the past and the food was incredible, the staff were friendly and warm. Try the Bison tenderloin, the chef does an amazing job. Be sure to go early to spend time in the gift shop and leave time to relax by the fire after dinner.
We do a lot of travelling and were very impressed. We will be back to spend time at the lodge with a pile of books and a week with nothing to do but relax.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

94% Recommend
London, Ontario
“Charming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We had lunch here with friends on our way to Kimberley. The lobby makes a great first impression with its fireplace, antler chandelier and bison head that I almost didn't care how good the food was. But the chef didn't disappoint with some delicious choices on a limited menu. We all made different choices and everything was great. The bison burgers are huge and may be a little intimidating for some people but I loved it!
Enjoy!

Calgary, Canada
“Fantastic food and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Enjoyed a meal as per a recommendation a couple weeks ago. Great appetizers and the featured dish was unforgettable. Bison shortribs that were falling off the bone and full of flavour. I have never tasted anything so rich and satisfying. My partner had the rack of lamb and was not dissapointed! Service was friendly and attentive. We would not hesitate to return and will be telling our friends and family.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Banff, Canada
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This was my third visit to Storm. My previous visits were outstanding however, this one left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Four of us arrived for an early dinner. There was one other table there at the time. During our meal the one waitress served, at one point, seven tables, manned the fire, greeted guests at the lodge desk and answered the phone - she was outstanding!

We each ordered a glass of wine, appetizers, mains, and shared some desserts. Everyone enjoyed their appetizers; mine arrived not as described on the menu which left me confused and thinking I had made a mistake. My table was quick to point out that indeed, it was not as described on the menu. It was 'ok', just not what I was expecting at all. Two of us had the scallops as our mains. You could smell the fishiness of the scallops before they were set in front of us. Mine were not seasoned and cold - not a pleasant texture in my mouth. All of our dishes 'looked good' but all were room temperature to cold. The table next to us pretty much ordered the same mains as us and when they arrived the presentation of their dishes were different to ours; they had a garnish of herbs on top of their scallops and their lamb came pre-sliced; ours did not. Desserts were really really good! Based on food alone I would only give this specific experience a rating of two but factoring everything else I'm giving it a three.

Could have been an off night for us - it happens. But I would need to think twice before I would make the drive out there again for a dinner such as we had again. Storm is such a cool spot though.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
London, Canada
“Excellent food, great ambiance, slow service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We took an evening trek up to Storm Mountain Lodge for dinner from Banff, where we were staying. In the dark, you could easily miss it if you weren't paying attention and looking for the sign. The lodge and restaurant is a log cabin tucked up into the hill. Our server was very pleasant and greeted us promptly. However, after ordering, things went a bit slow. It appeared to be the kitchen that was holding things up, as our drinks and bread came out quickly.

The server did a great job as she was overseeing all the tables herself. There were only about 10-12 tables, but this place has clearly created a name for itself. The food was delicious, though we found it to be very salty. I had the bison tenderloin, which was delicious, although rather overcooked. The boys had the short ribs, which they liked a lot, but again, found everything salty. My girlfriend had the stuffed chicken, which she enjoyed as well. We were so full after appetizers and entrees, we couldn't manage dessert.

Overall, great ambiance, food service was slow and too salty, but great experience.

• Visited February 2013