“Fantastic food and service!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Calgary, Canada
“Fantastic food and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Enjoyed a meal as per a recommendation a couple weeks ago. Great appetizers and the featured dish was unforgettable. Bison shortribs that were falling off the bone and full of flavour. I have never tasted anything so rich and satisfying. My partner had the rack of lamb and was not dissapointed! Service was friendly and attentive. We would not hesitate to return and will be telling our friends and family.

• Visited February 2013

Banff, Canada
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This was my third visit to Storm. My previous visits were outstanding however, this one left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Four of us arrived for an early dinner. There was one other table there at the time. During our meal the one waitress served, at one point, seven tables, manned the fire, greeted guests at the lodge desk and answered the phone - she was outstanding!

We each ordered a glass of wine, appetizers, mains, and shared some desserts. Everyone enjoyed their appetizers; mine arrived not as described on the menu which left me confused and thinking I had made a mistake. My table was quick to point out that indeed, it was not as described on the menu. It was 'ok', just not what I was expecting at all. Two of us had the scallops as our mains. You could smell the fishiness of the scallops before they were set in front of us. Mine were not seasoned and cold - not a pleasant texture in my mouth. All of our dishes 'looked good' but all were room temperature to cold. The table next to us pretty much ordered the same mains as us and when they arrived the presentation of their dishes were different to ours; they had a garnish of herbs on top of their scallops and their lamb came pre-sliced; ours did not. Desserts were really really good! Based on food alone I would only give this specific experience a rating of two but factoring everything else I'm giving it a three.

Could have been an off night for us - it happens. But I would need to think twice before I would make the drive out there again for a dinner such as we had again. Storm is such a cool spot though.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
London, Canada
“Excellent food, great ambiance, slow service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We took an evening trek up to Storm Mountain Lodge for dinner from Banff, where we were staying. In the dark, you could easily miss it if you weren't paying attention and looking for the sign. The lodge and restaurant is a log cabin tucked up into the hill. Our server was very pleasant and greeted us promptly. However, after ordering, things went a bit slow. It appeared to be the kitchen that was holding things up, as our drinks and bread came out quickly.

The server did a great job as she was overseeing all the tables herself. There were only about 10-12 tables, but this place has clearly created a name for itself. The food was delicious, though we found it to be very salty. I had the bison tenderloin, which was delicious, although rather overcooked. The boys had the short ribs, which they liked a lot, but again, found everything salty. My girlfriend had the stuffed chicken, which she enjoyed as well. We were so full after appetizers and entrees, we couldn't manage dessert.

Overall, great ambiance, food service was slow and too salty, but great experience.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“quaint christmas dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Was looking for an usual christmas dinner experience in Banff. There is so many choices in Banff including the Banff Springs Hotel. I wanted something besides an expensive buffet at a busy hotel. After lots of research I chose Storm Mountain Lodge. It is a bit of a drive out of Banff, but well worth it. My group was in awe on arrival. We arrived early for a pre-dinner drink
In front of the fireplace. The service was impecable from the moment we walked in the door.
This was the best dining experience ever for me and was exactly what i wanted for my family gathering.The only issue was the fixed menu. Had a senior in the group who normally doesn't eat an appy and dessert. Another wasn't thrilled with the 3 choices of mains. But alas, you can't please everyone- the ambience was worth the minor menu concerns. Go here for a romantic dinner or
Special occasion. If you have picky eaters in your party, check out the menu ahead. I think the
menu has more choices. The Christmas Day menu was limited.

• Visited December 2012
North Carolina
“fantastic meal; great ambiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

If you like your restaurants chic and urban, this will not be the place for you. If you prefer "cutting edge" food with unique (or bizarre) flair, then this will not be the place for you. If you are a vegetarian, or a picky eater, this also might not be the place for you. If, however, you love delicious food in a cozy, authentic, and rustic setting, then you will enjoy Storm Mountain Lodge. We decided to eat here based on the other good TripAdvisor reviews, and once again, they steered me in the right direction.

The menu is limited, so you should be open to trying something new. We chose a special, which was braised bison short ribs, and the food was perfect. The preparation was simple and straightforward, but delicious. The meaty short ribs were cooked perfectly, and the tender meat fell off the bones. The root vegetables served on the side were cooked perfectly and also delicious. The wine selections consist entirely of Canadian wines, which provided a unique opportunity to try something new. We were generally pleased with our selection, but I have to admit the wine didn't blow us away. For dessert, we had a fruit cobbler that was bursting with raspberries. It, like the dinner, was a rather simple and straightforward dish but done exceptionally well.

The service was perfect; the hostess was also our server, and she was pleasant, helpful, friendly, and informative. We absolutely loved the cozy interior, with the bison head over the fireplace, complete with roaring fire. Our server told us that it is the only remaining lodge out of the 8 original that the Canadian Pacific Railway built in Banff that is still in its original condition. Some lodges burned down; others have been renovated beyond recognition. This, therefore, is a real gem and an opportunity to experience a bit of the local history.

We did not stay here so cannot speak to the cabins, but they looked very nice from the outside and I think it would be a fantastic place to stay if we are fortunate enough to return to Banff. At the very least, however, it is a must to enjoy a dinner here.

• Visited October 2012