“quaint christmas dinner” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Vancouver, Canada
“quaint christmas dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Was looking for an usual christmas dinner experience in Banff. There is so many choices in Banff including the Banff Springs Hotel. I wanted something besides an expensive buffet at a busy hotel. After lots of research I chose Storm Mountain Lodge. It is a bit of a drive out of Banff, but well worth it. My group was in awe on arrival. We arrived early for a pre-dinner drink
In front of the fireplace. The service was impecable from the moment we walked in the door.
This was the best dining experience ever for me and was exactly what i wanted for my family gathering.The only issue was the fixed menu. Had a senior in the group who normally doesn't eat an appy and dessert. Another wasn't thrilled with the 3 choices of mains. But alas, you can't please everyone- the ambience was worth the minor menu concerns. Go here for a romantic dinner or
Special occasion. If you have picky eaters in your party, check out the menu ahead. I think the
menu has more choices. The Christmas Day menu was limited.

• Visited December 2012

North Carolina
“fantastic meal; great ambiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

If you like your restaurants chic and urban, this will not be the place for you. If you prefer "cutting edge" food with unique (or bizarre) flair, then this will not be the place for you. If you are a vegetarian, or a picky eater, this also might not be the place for you. If, however, you love delicious food in a cozy, authentic, and rustic setting, then you will enjoy Storm Mountain Lodge. We decided to eat here based on the other good TripAdvisor reviews, and once again, they steered me in the right direction.

The menu is limited, so you should be open to trying something new. We chose a special, which was braised bison short ribs, and the food was perfect. The preparation was simple and straightforward, but delicious. The meaty short ribs were cooked perfectly, and the tender meat fell off the bones. The root vegetables served on the side were cooked perfectly and also delicious. The wine selections consist entirely of Canadian wines, which provided a unique opportunity to try something new. We were generally pleased with our selection, but I have to admit the wine didn't blow us away. For dessert, we had a fruit cobbler that was bursting with raspberries. It, like the dinner, was a rather simple and straightforward dish but done exceptionally well.

The service was perfect; the hostess was also our server, and she was pleasant, helpful, friendly, and informative. We absolutely loved the cozy interior, with the bison head over the fireplace, complete with roaring fire. Our server told us that it is the only remaining lodge out of the 8 original that the Canadian Pacific Railway built in Banff that is still in its original condition. Some lodges burned down; others have been renovated beyond recognition. This, therefore, is a real gem and an opportunity to experience a bit of the local history.

We did not stay here so cannot speak to the cabins, but they looked very nice from the outside and I think it would be a fantastic place to stay if we are fortunate enough to return to Banff. At the very least, however, it is a must to enjoy a dinner here.

• Visited October 2012
San Antonio, Texas
“Hidden gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We were heading over the pass to Kootenay National Park when we spotted a sign for food. It looked like a great place high in the mountains with clouds hugging the peaks to stop for lunch. It was the restaurant for a group of cabins. The air was heavy with aromatic wood burning in the pot-belly stove. We did not want a huge meal just something to tide us over. We chose the flatbread with salmon and a bison burger. The flatbread was very good and the bison burger was moist and tasty. Usually I find bison to be dry so this made it a winner for me.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hamilton, ON
“Fantastic Restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

The title says it all. Our dinner was exceptional. The service was casual yet excellent, the setting rustic but charming and the food was outstanding. Everything from the salads, my tenderloin, my wife's lamb (the best either of us has ever tasted) to the desserts was excellent. The portion sizes were good - not too big but certainly not tiny - and the prices very reasonable - not cheap but certainly reasonable based on the quality. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.

• Visited September 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Would definitely go back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

This is a most stop for any couple wanting a romantic evening with great food. I had the seafood bouilbaisse and the rack of lamb. The seafood app was good but not great. The seafood was a little overcooked. There was a shrimp tail in the soup and a broken mussel shell. The rack of lamb was simply awesome. Perfectly seasoned and cooked just right. My wife had the beef carpaccio, which was just fantastic with lots of depth of flavor. Her entree was a beef terndeloing with goat cheese crust, which was also quite good.

The lodge is pretty small with the restaurant having maybe ten tables. I could see in highs season a reservation being a must. As soon as you open the door you can smell the wood burning fireplace, which I loved. Very quite restaurant with great service.

• Visited October 2012