“great hike with amazing scenery” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Canyons
Activities: Hiking
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Scenic wooded canyon with trails for hiking and biking.
Strathmore, Canada
4 attraction reviews
“great hike with amazing scenery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

great hike and you can choose to continue to the ink pots if you have the energy and time. Great visit

Visited July 2012

Manchester, United Kingdom
155 attraction reviews
“Great walk”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

A spectacular and easy walk up and long the boardwalks which are over the canyon. It probably takes about 45minutes to walk up from the car parking area to the end of the canyon. It is really interesting and the force of the water is impressive – if visiting in the summer months then make sure you have plenty of insect repellent sprayed on before you set off as there were loads of mosquitos in the canyon.

Visited July 2012
Aberdeen
24 attraction reviews
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Wow this is an excllent walk well worth it bit uphill in parts but onc eyou get to the lower waterfall section you'll reliase it was well worth it. There is an upper water fall but we didn't go to it as we didn't hav enough time but if it is anything like the lower fall we probably missed out. THere is alos a restaurant and gift shop there so you can get something to eat and stock up on your gifts if you want to.

Visited September 2012
8 attraction reviews
“REALLY, REALLY GORGEOUS”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I gave this 4 stars instead of 5 because of the crowds. The canyon is spectacular.....BUT, it's hard to get any pictures, see the waterfalls without being obstructed or walk continuously without stopping due to the crowds and we were they OFF season. I cannot imagine the summer and the crowds that brings. The upper falls are less crowded but the walk is significant (1.5 miles)

Having said that...this is a spectacular canyon like no other I have seen. It's worth the visit to push your way through to get a glimspe.

Visited October 2012
Calgary
17 attraction reviews
“A Great Hike & Scenery Not to be Missed !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I've always heard from people that Johnston Canyon was a wonderful place close to Banff that everyone should go and visit. I can't believe I've lived in Alberta this long and finally made the time to visit this beautiful place ! My husband and I decided to spend a few fridays to explore various beautiful sites and landmarks near our home. I've always wanted to hike up and see this place, so on a beautiful friday, we drove out to Banff for my first visit. The countryside was gorgeous and the tall trees were brilliant colors of fall in orange ,yellows and reds. The day was warm and beautiful and the mountains were breathtaking ! When we arrived , the parking lot had several cars , but I'm sure if this was a weekend, the lot would be overflowing with cars. The parking lot had a very large building with clean washrooms and was handy for many people to use.
My husband and I walked the to the first waterfall and there were so many opportunities to take some beautiful photos of the canyon and the rushing river. We loved walking on the catwalks along the side of the mountain and crossed a small catwalk that led through just a small cave that you just ducked under and came to a huge thundering waterfall right in front of you ! The noise and the force of the waterfall was awesome !
We then took to the trail again and the catwalks and made it to the 2nd waterfall which was also beautiful as well. The walks are paved and the catwalks are all safe and many seniors as well as families with children were enjoying this adventure. By the time we got to the 2nd waterfall, it was getting late in the afternoon - so we decided not to visit the ink pots but headed back down to our car. There is also a shop down the path when you cross the bridge from the parking lot and you can have a bite to eat, buy some souvenirs or just sit and enjoy the view. I think in the summer, there is a ice cream snack hut where you can buy a treat to cool down as well..I took alot of lovely photos and if I have visitors who visit from out of town , I shall be sure to take them here. And of course... I will definitely come back again and enjoy God's country alot more often...

Visited September 2012