“A pie to die for!!!” 5 of 5 stars

01335 310205
Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Traditional village pub serving excellent British food. Open fires, real ales and fantastic selection of wines.
CUMBRIA
“A pie to die for!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Wonderful beef and stilton pie, much better than I expected and the chunky homemade chips were really tasty...good vibe about the place and booking highly recommended as I saw people being turned away..

Visited June 2013

“Worth a walk...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

The George is one of my families all time favourite pubs, and with good reason. Although we are far from local to the area we gladly travel to dine here. It is also our top spot after a walk along Dovedale, as the staff are very welcome, even to sodden walkers and dogs.
Despite the relaxed and casual atmosphere service and food are never compromised as the staff are always friendly and the food is always good. The soups are definitely to be recommended as they are always delicious.
For a friendly, a warm welcome and great food this is defiantly a place you must visit!!!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
HEDENHAM
“Great beer and food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

This pub has always been a favourite of ours ever since we started walking in the Peak District. The food is extremely impressive particularly the pies and the puds - the beer is also extremely good. The staff are courteous and friendly.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, England, United Kingdom
“Michelin star worthy - amazing food, amazing pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Me and my girlfriend we're staying very nearby at Alstonefield Manor, and were told to book a meal or two at The George as it was so close. We both wanted a no fuss break so this seemed appropriate.

The pub has a fantastic atmosphere, and is very relaxed. When we got there a few locals were sat drinking by the bar, we were served our drinks, and led to our table. The prices were a bit high for a country pub, however this is a menu that has plates of food that would shine in any Michelin starred restaurant. The food is superb, and on consistently superb, serving the most fantastically creative plates of food. There are some traditional pub choices, however much of the menu is a wondrous concoction of creativity, with each plate we tried subtly combining flavours of excellence.

It amazed me how understated this place is. There is no pomposity, no hidden agendas, just awesome food at amazing prices for it's quality. I am from London, and many of the 'great' restaurants I've been to would not better The George.

DO NOT MISS THIS PLACE!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing food, fantastic service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Having made our way to the Newton, we were told that The George was a good place to eat, however it gets busy to thankfully we booked before leaving the B&B. after about 45 minutes (the longest walk I'll ever do and when they say hilly what they actually mean is mountainous, yes I am a southern softy!) we arrived, quite early but that gave us time to sit back with a beer and a glass of wine (I was with my girlfriend, I'm not an alcoholic!). The food was wonderful well worth the money I would recommend it. We had the steak and stilton pie, plenty of filling and amazingly tasty.

• Visited June 2013