“A hidden gem, surrounded by lush gardens and specatular views” 5 of 5 stars

You added Argyler Lodge to your Saves list
Argyler Lodge
52 Ye Olde Argyler Rd. | Yarmouth County, Nova Scotia B0W 1W0, Canada   |
Bridgewater, Massachusetts
“A hidden gem, surrounded by lush gardens and specatular views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

I have never written a review for any place I have ever stayed but I must for Ye Olde Argyler Lodge.

My mom and I just returned home from a weeks stay at this beautiful lodge! I have so much to say, I suppose I'll start at the beginning. When I was planning our trip to Nova Scotia I searched the internet for a special place to stay. I found it! My original phone call was answered by Jonathan (later to discover he is the chef extraordinaire)! He couldn't have been more helpful. My elderly mom needed something extra in the room and he was more than willing to make sure it was there when we arrived. It was there!

It's overwhelming when you drive up to the lodge for the first time. The beauty of the actual lodge surrounded by lush gardens and the sea in the background is mesmerizing.

We entered into the lodge and were immediately greeted by Jay, a gentleman who was beaming with joy. Moments later, we were greeted by an equally joyful woman, Lois. We felt as if we had just come home to our long lost relatives.

We stayed in the Captains Quarters. Roomy, very comfortable, luxioriosly soft sheets and towels, decorated beautifully and amazing views. But I think the cleanliness of the room was the most memorable. It was spotless.

The food! It is more than apparent that Chef Jon knows his way around the kitchen and prepares amazing dishes. Each meal was wonderful, prepared with that little extra passion that you don't learn in culinary school. Travelers and locals are very fortunate to have Chef Jon preparing their meals. Jon's sous chef, Lois (his mom), also does very well in the kitchen. Lois prepared breakfast for us every morning. Her waffles are a must! And I can't forget Jay, always ready to warm up your coffee, pour a glass of juice and hand you the morning newspaper; all with a warm smile.

Ye Olde Argyler Lodge is a hidden gem! I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone I know. It would be perfect for a family vacation, a family reunion, a wonderful romantic getaway or a getaway with friends. I can't say enough about the proprietors: Lois, Jay and Jonathan. They are all passionate about their Lodge and taking great care of all their guests. I plan to return again and again!

• Stayed July 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2010

This past summer, my husband, daughtere (10 months at the time) and myself had the great pleasure of staying at Ye Olde Argyler. The family (Miami, Fl folks) greeted us with open arms. We were their only guests for the night (it was mid-week) and they made us very welcome. The location is pretty spectacular. On one of the gorgeous coastal hamlets - about halfway between Yarmouth and Lunenburg. We arrived late afternoon and were treated to a terrific dinner (their son is a top rate gourmet chef and has cooked with the likes of Anthony Bourdain and Rachel Ray). Tender delicious ribs - with sumptious sides (Mom was a more than competent sous chef - whipping together organic treats for my baby and pulling together a tasty dessert). Dad was terrific to talk shop with. Very open about their challenges - their plans - and their dreams for the future. I wish we had a wedding or family reunion coming up because the house would be PERFECT - accomodates plenty - private bathrooms - great central dining area - basement for late night game playing or a karaoke contest!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Tusket NS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2008

An evening at the Ye Olde Argyler Lodge is all it takes to reconnect to the sea and its mysteriously daunting sound. This beautiful oceanfront resort offers charm and comfort in a spacious atmosphere overlooking the Island dotted coastline of Southwest Nova Scotia.
If the friendly staff and personal service don't win you over the food and its intricate aromas surely will.
We stayed overnight as a party of five and were treated like royalty.
After a superb buffet we thoroughly enjoyed an evening in the downstairs lounge which features a huge fireplace, plenty of comfortable seating and a bar.
The evening we were there we were entertained by live music featuring some of the best local talent.
The evening was crowned by retiring to a clean comfortable
oceanfront bedroom.
Ye Olde Argyler Lodge is a gem to the discriminate traveler and I would highly recommend it to anyone who loves the charm of the sea.

• Liked — friendly personal service and food
  • Disliked — Our short lenght of stay?
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Montreal QC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2008

YE OLD ARGYLER… Don’t hesitate to book a stay at this waterfront lodge…. We found it by chance when looking for a (B&B) place to stay while attending a friends wedding in nearby Pubnico/Yarmouth. Remarkably, the place looks exactly like it shows on their website. The decade-old lodge sat empty for a few years before being completely updated by new owners a year and half ago! Spotless, new and clean is what you get inside and out! As soon as you drive down their lane, you are graced with the view of the tranquil bay, bejewelled by moored boats of neighbouring locals. Serene!

Our hosts, Jay & Lois, along with son Jonathan (chef) and daughter-in law (Alana) were exactly as hosts should be - attentive yet not intrusive. They have been at it for less than 2 years, and it is a work-in-progress….

Jonathan can also be seen gardening – his flower and fresh herb gardens are another of his passions which of course complement his first love, cooking.

Genuinely interested in our experience both at the lodge and about…. Jay was quick to point out (Lois’s homemade granola or Jonathans’ special of the day), and even offered to come in early and prepare breakfast for our (7am) departure. There was talk of getting us some kayaks, but we just didn’t have time.

A modest breakfast is included in the cost of the room –we were happy with their offering of wild blueberry pancakes one day, and eggs another. Coffee, cereal, yogurt, and of course their homemade granola (an absolute must!) and fresh fruits, and a homemade loaf or homemade muffins are also served buffet style.. On Sunday we were offered to forego the full complementary breakfast (we still got toast & coffee) and upgrade to Sunday Brunch for a nominal fee. Buffet style, it included the usual breakfast items as well as a ham carving station. Another Lois special – a light’n’fluffy waffle batter and waffle iron is set up and you can make your own waffles. Toppings included fresh fruits and chocolate (loved by kids and adults both). My favourite! Full salad bar, fresh mussels, and the staple (ham and clam) chowder were also available.

Our schedule did not allow the opportunity to have dinner at the lodge; however, the restaurant caters to both their guests and locals for lunch and dinner.

The “comfortable & cozy” atmosphere of the entire property – is suitable for family or business events/gatherings. Great for families or couples looking for a great scenic escape. We loved it! If you need a relaxing getaway - or are avid canoeists/kayakers then this is your destination too.

Two larger rooms (with ocean vs garden views) along with 4 other charming rooms were available. It was very quiet - although 4 rooms were booked, and two young children were there, we did not hear a thing. Some bathrooms come with shower stall (which i prefer) vs a tub/shower.

ps: do not mistaken the Argyler Lodge with the Argyle B&B

Visit their site, and book yourself a great, relaxing stay….. Picturesque!

• Liked — Relaxing, clean, beautiful views - felt like home, comfortable
  • Disliked — squeaky bed :-)
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Argyler Lodge? Share your experiences!