“We'll be back” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Playa del Sol

You added Playa del Sol to your Saves list
Playa del Sol
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Calle 20 de Noviembre y Valentin Ruiz Gonzalez, Los Barriles 23330, Mexico   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Los Barriles B&B and Inns
Isanti, Minnesota
“We'll be back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Agreed with most of the reviews - except the one for the crew of the Kahlua. They did an exceptional job! Enjoyed the meals, but would have liked more Mexican food. I like swimming laps and this pool was better then most.

Room Tip: Room 25 - no shade for morning sun.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

If you are looking for a clean, quiet, rustic hotel, then this is for you. Prices are good and amenities are basic. No safe in the room, but it's a safe town. We thought the food was great and watch out for those margaritas!!! Pool area was always clean and not too busy. Small town charm. Loved it. Wifi is touchy. If it's important to you, ask for one of the rooms close to the main office - reception is better there.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Littleton, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

We have stayed at Playa del Sol in the past and generally speaking, it is a decent place to visit from the fishing perspective. The hotel rooms are very basic, 2 singles and a double. They were clean and the air conditioner worked great. The food is a little marginal, but you can always walk down to Palmas de Cortez or visit the local restaurants for alternative food options. The best thing we like about this resort is that it was not crowded and had the pool to ourselves. The price for the room and included food is reasonable for what you get.

Now onto the fishing. The first day of 3 days of fishing was a tough one. The engine blew (The Dona) up about an hour out from the dock with the first of several boats we ended up using while we were there.. We had to wait about 2 hours for another boat to come and pick us up. Since it was already after 10 in the morning and the place we wanted to go and fish was over another hour away, we decided to fish closer to the hotel just to get in more fishing time. We finally got our lines in the water and ended up catching 3 dorado and a marlin. This captain was very nice and stayed out an extra hour and a half since we broke down.

On the second day, we fished on the same boat that picked us up the day before and we had an excellent day of fishing. We went to the spot were going to fish the day before and ended up with 11 tuna and 5 dorado between the two of us. Unfortunately, this book was already reserved for the last day we were there. I will say this's boats name was a type of liquor and will definitely go out with him again the next time I visit.

We ended up being assigned to the Kahlua the last day and half an hour in I had a bad feeling about the trip. We wanted to go for dorado and bill fish this last day since I was looking for a marlin. As we went to get bait (sardines), none was available this morning. So, the captain decided to slow troll with our ballyhoo to catch the dorado. We went through 3 of the 7 baits before we were able to land a dorado. We caught 2 dorado and only had 2 ballyhoo left. This made me very nervous as the ballyhoo are good baits to drop back to marlin. We then went on a boat ride to the north. I say boat ride because there were no other boats around and all the billfish seemed to be where we were fishing for the dorado. We then used the last of our 2 ballyhoo and caught one more dorado. Since we were out of bait, I think the captain assumed we had no idea how to fish for marlin in the east cape. He had on 1 lure that could catch a marling, one lure for wahoo (rapala) and a lure for tuna (cedar plug). My intelligence was completely insulted. I then also told my friend that I would bet we would be the first boat back into the dock that day and we were. The captain did not get a tip from me this day as I felt like he just wasted our time and wanted to work his 7.5 hours and get back to the dock. It was very obvious that he did not care about us or about getting a tip. I also have to mention that he had engine troubles as well as he checked it several times throughout the day. The best recommendation I can give you if you travel to the Van Wormer's resorts is to NOT use the KAHLUA to fish. I have found over the years that there are 2 types of captains; the kind that want to catch fish more than you and the kind that could care less if you caught a fish. Unfortunately, the captain I had used in the past no longer was fishing which made this a boat searching trip. I can not say about bad about the captain of the Dona as we did not even get to drop a line in the water, but seeing how the engine was held together literally by duct tape and plastic bags, I will not use that boat again for fear of engine failure (the water hose broke on our trip and fried the engine). Another big recommendation I can make is that when you show up, check out the number of flags on the boats that come in the afternoon. This is generally a good indicator as to who is a better fisherman than others. We had 3 flags on the last day and there were plenty of other boats that had 10 or more fishing for the same species of fish.

The staff are all real friendly and Leonardo makes great ceviche and sashimi at the bar. We will be back in the future and hope that our new found captain is still there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

Six of us stayed here for six nights on a Baja fishing trip. Location was great, Los Barriles, about 50 miles north of Los Cabos airport. Resort was all that we expected, been around for awhile but in good shape and clean. Fishing was OK not the best time of year. I am not sure how they manage to put people up at 140.00 per night double occuapncy including food (three meals a day). You got what they were serving that day but the food was OK. All in all I would retrurn but not for a romantic weekend. Great for a guys trip.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Los Gatos, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

My girlfriend and I stumbled onto this hotel late at night looking for a place to stay. Not until morning we realized how nice it was. For the price it has a great location, good swimming pool, easy access to the beach, easy walk to town. All in all a very good value

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Menlo Park, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Fresh ceviche is the highlight of Playa Del Sol. Each day between 4 and 7 PM.the bar tender will make up a batch of ceviche (if fish is brought in from the day of fishing), and the fishers and American locals (Los Barriles is a town of 9,000, 6,000 are American!) talk about the day.

This hotel is one of the Van Wormer Resorts that has historically catered to fishermen. I was no exception in that our fishing guide, Mike Rieser www.bajaflyfish.com , used to be the Van Wormer house fly fishing guide. Mike is an American who has lived in Los Barriles for 13 years. He makes use of the Van Wormer pangas and captains and offered us a choice between the Playa Del Sol or the more up scale Plamas de Cortez, 7 minute walk down the beach. For the same price, the Playa Del Sol package came with three meals. The breakfast and lunch are okay. But the two dinners we had were at best bland and over cooked. We sought better food at local restaurants within a 10 minute walk.

The staff here is very friendly and helpful; I really liked that. Service is a strength of the hotel to be sure, and why I rated it 4 star, not just 3. There is wi-fi by the pool area.

If I were to return with my spouse, I would certainly stay at Hotel Plamas de Cortez. And for sure avoid eating dinner here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Auburn, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I purchased an all inclusive fishing/lodging package that included meals. I was under the impression that the food was served from the menu that is shown on the hotel web sight which also shows information for their sister hotels that they own in Los Barriles. Come to find out, this menu is for their parent hotel the Palma de Cortez next door and when I was booking, no one bothered to mention this to me even when I questioned them on some of the item choices on the menu.
Their were no choices for the menu at Playa Del Sol, only what they decided to have for each dinner and the quality and taste of the food was way below par. My fishing partner and myself couldn't eat it. The breakfast was adequate but they used some form of butter/margarine???? that they cooked everything in and also gave you to spread on your pancakes or French toast. It had a terrible taste and ruined the meals. The lunches provided for the fishing boat were O.K. at best.
The fishing boat captain spoke very poor English and didn't tell us we would have to run over 20 miles just to get bait to fish for rooster fish north of Los Barriles and he couldn't seem to find any of them anyway.. We decided to try for Bottom fish and it was embarrassing to watch him try to catch one for us. He had no clue how to do it. He only had gear to catch marlin, which we caught several each but we lost a whole day trying to locate roosterfish, jack cravelle, etc. If he would have been able to explain to us what we were up against, we would have fished for stripped marlin instead.
Also, if you stay in Los Barriles, transportation for the 60 mile drive is $80.00 each person !!!!
Better to rent a car and cheaper.
Obviously, we wont be back.
fishcrzy, auburn washington

Room Tip: Book the pool or ocean view only. The garden view is not very good. Rent a car, don't let them...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Playa del Sol? Share your experiences!