“Impeccable, in ALMOST every way.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villa La Estancia

You added Villa La Estancia to your Saves list
Villa La Estancia
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Paseo Cocoteros 750 Sur | Condominio Maestro Flamingos, Nuevo Vallarta 63732, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Calistoga, California
“Impeccable, in ALMOST every way.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

As other guests have commented, Villa La Estancia is one of the cleanest, best maintained properties I have had the pleasure of staying at. The grounds, facilities, spa, gym, restaurants, and the rooms are all impeccably maintained. Sure, it's new, but they are always cleaning...everything.

VLE is a very beautiful place on a nice slice of sand in the Bay of Banderas. Outside of the Ritz and the Four Seasons in Punta Mita, you will have a hard time finding a nicer place to stay in the region.

Nuevo Vallarta is a nice midway point between Puerta Vallarta (about 30 mins) and the northern reaches of Punta Mita / Mita (20 min) and Sayulita (35 min). It's also relatively close to the airport (20 minutes /180 pesos). There are wide stretches of excellent and uncrowded walking beaches to the immediate north and south of the resort. There are some, but not a lot of, vendors on the beaches here. The sand and the water are rather brown here, you are not on the beaches of the Yucatan with it's turquoise waters and white beaches. So know that before you go or you will be disappointed.

Everything seems very safe here. There are two security gates in the development area before you get to the hotel itself. Cab drivers and everyone checks in and out with the guards

The service staff at VLE is very personable, attentive, and they honestly care about the quality of your experience. Luiz, the bellman, was very helpful and provided just the right amount of info about the room and the property. Claudia and her counter part at the front desk was always very gracious and greeted us by name. Omar and Alonso, and others whose names I can't recall, were happy, friendly and very accommodating waiters (I'm a chef so I make special requests when I know the kitchen accommodate them.

The service at this resort would be top rated for me except for the fact that the speed of the dining service is VERY slow ... especially around the pool. I realize it's pool service in Mexico and not the lunch hour in Manhattan, but the timing is more than a little off across all the operations. On one occasion we were left with menus and no follow up.

The other minuscule nit I have to pick with this place is the music. The ambient music that is piped everywhere around the grounds and pool is a very short and loud loop of Lounge / Trip-Hop / Electronica. There seemed to be only about 8 songs in this endless loop. It's not bad music, they just need a much longer playlist. After day two, the repetition was distracting, then disturbing. Then by day five, I was ready to confess ... to anything. It's also played much too loudly and drowns out the fountains and the sound of the waves. At the restaurant one night we had to ask them to turn it down so we could speak with each other.

Minor complaints for an otherwise well run property. You will quite likely love your stay here. We did.

Room Tip: High floors have the best views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
East Hampton, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband and I just returned from VLA on Friday,after spending 6 incredible days there. I was shocked to see the 2 previous reviews, because our stay could not have been better. We have traveled quite a bit, and usually stay at higher-end hotels, and VLA is among the finest properties we have stayed at. Every single staff person we encountered was wonderful. Special thanks to Allan, Omar, and Julietta at La Casona, Leo at Reception, & Omar at La Parilla. These are very special employees, and I hope the management recognizes their outstanding work.

As we stayed after the holidays (1/5-1/12), we had the place virtually to ourselves. (Perhaps the previous reviewers should consider not vacationing during such a busy time, rather than giving up on VLE?) This is not a property for those who are looking for crazy "tourista" entertainment. It is perfect for a quiet, luxurious vacation in elegant surroundings.

We never had to ask for anything with regard to housekeeping, and the kind ladies took very good care of us. Do note that there is not an honor bar in the room. No problem for us, as we just ordered room service (which was very prompt, btw). However, if you want liquor in the room, take a cab to Mega and stock up the huge fridge in the kitchen.

We were on the all-inclusive plan, and found all 4 of our dining options very good. The duck entree at La Casona was so good I had to have it twice. The Mexican and Italian restaurants next door at the Flamingo were very good also. My only comment regarding the food is that I didn't love the chicken salad at La Parilla for lunch. It was ok, but pretty flavorless. Again, for all the food we ate there, that is my only complaint.

The spa was wonderful. My husband had an 80 minute sport massage and I combined the complimentary neck, shoulder, back massage with a leg massage. We both thought the treatments were very good. I am a regular at a high end resort spa at home, and this was better, to be honest. The hot tub and hydro-therapy rain showers were incredible.

It was so nice not to be hounded by time-share salespeople. And the vendors that stroll the beach were very inocuous; just say" no, gracias", and they're gone. The atmosphere is so relaxing and calm, we truly had a hard time leaving to go back to our real lives.

Thanks VLE for a much needed perfect vacation. I hope we can become one of your repeat visitor, and make VLE our true "home by the sea."

Room Tip: We loved our room, 2603A. It was in building 2 on the 6th floor center. Perfect view of the pool a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Norman, OK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This was our 7th visit and probably our last. We were so dissatisfied with so many things. We had a 3 bed oceanfront and the housekeeping was terrible. During the 7 day visit they did not clean the kitchen, livingroom or dining room even once. We had to empty our own trash and several times they left no towels in the master bedroom. Twice at 4 o'clock I had to call and see if they we even going to clean that day.
The food this time was terrible. That's was so sad because its always been so good. We were all inclusive and could only get into La Casona twice. Once for steak night and for the New Year's Eve special, which was almost inedible, and we had to pay extra. They had a wedding party reserve the entire restaurant several nights, so the sister resort had to accommodate both hotels, and they couldn't do it. We had to order room service several times and they were slow and mediocre at best. When we called and put the dishes outside the door it took two day to be picked up! If they knew they were having a big wedding and it was going to be a problem for the rest of us, we should have been given a warning!
The rooms are starting to get worn and need updating. There were only two lounge chairs outside which is not enough for a three bed that sleeps 10. I called twice to ask for more and they said they would be right up, but never came. The dishwasher leaked, the tv signal didn't work, and the shower head in master shower sucked.
When we checked out they asked if our stay was ok. I said we had some problems. Instead of asking about it, she just said oh and walked away!
Clearly they were very understaffed. I'm not sure why as the resort was packed. I can only guess there is new management and he/she is not up to par. Too bad because we've always loved this place.

• Stayed December 2012
Port Moody, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

While the staff were friendly and helpful, and the grounds were impressive as referenced in many other reviews there were a few disappointments along the way. The eating areas can not accommodate the guests during busy times (this can be very frustrating) for example, there are approximately a half dozen tables at the outdoor lunch area (the only option for the entire resort unless you go to the sister resort, eat on your beach lounger, or order to your room for an additional 15% and a tip). There were long waits for a table at breakfast time and making reservations for dinner is a must. The kids club is also actually at the sister resort and does not have a sheltered area so if you want the kids out of the sun for an hour or if you catch a couple of days of rain this isn't the best situation for the children. I knew there was no nightly entertainment or buffet option going into the trip but once down there these traditional all-inclusive attractions as well as a stocked mini-bar in the rooms, and organized activities such as beach volleyball were missed. In summary, it's a nice hotel, all-be-it a little overpriced, but not a great option for those seeking the all-inclusive amenities offered at many other 5 star properties.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Although I have written other reviews of Villa La Estancia in the past, I felt the need to once again commend them on the outstanding service provided by the staff, superior accommodations and the all-around relaxation and feeling of well-being we experienced once again. I have been a flight attendant for 35 years and I know that trying to please everyone is not an easy feat to accomplish. However, the staff here makes it seem effortless. My husband said after one day on this trip "Either these are the best actors in the world or the nicest people ever!!" Our special thanks go to: Omar & Raul @ La Casona at breakfast; bellmen Leo & Luis (who not only sent someone up to repair a problem with our refrigerator but returned to check on the situation and explain to us what was going on at 10:30 at night!); Angel (who is one of the nicest, kindest people ever) and Juan Jose (great drinks the way we like them!!)and Alonzo at the pool; Nancy @ the spa; Miguel, Bernardo and Raul @ La Casona for dinner. These people all feel like family----when you arrive, they say "Welcome Home" and they aren't kidding because that is just how they make you feel. This visit, we had two back to back Luxury Link packages and were on the all-inclusive plan. We did, however, venture out a few nights for dinner and enjoyed meals at Mezzo Giorno, Karen's Place, and Mark's. The location of VLE is such that it is an easy 2 mile walk (all flat) into the town of Bucerias which is a charming version of what Puerto Vallarta itself must have been like 40 years ago. We also did a day trip to the market at La Penita and to Rincon de Guayabitos, the latter of which we liked a lot. There is a lot to do in this area for a variety of ages and group types and we have found it to be very safe an a good value as well. In short, you won't be sorry if this is the vacation opportunity you choose. Thanks once again to everyone for another wonderful stay----we look forward to our 8th visit at some point in 2013!!! Feel free to email me with any questions you might have.

Room Tip: All the suites are beautiful but we like the ones above the 4th floor for the best views.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We had the pleasure of enjoying our 2nd stay at Villa La Estancia in December and once again it was perfection. It was out third trip to Nuevo Vallarta. After staying at the other two two rated luxury resorts in the area, Villa La Estancia remains to be our personal favorite because they have the unique ability to make you feel like royalty and the most valued family member at the same time. They have the unique ability to think of things before you have a chance to think of it yourself.
Concierge service- 5 star. Sandra was wonderful and took care of every detail, making sure we were enjoying our stay. Luis and Leo also provide 5 star service.
Angel, by the pool, (and boy, did his mama name HIM right. He is indeed an angel!) knows where you like to sit and takes care of every little thing for you. I had mentioned that we were going to request a late check out for our last day but hadn't gotten around to it yet - boom. 2 minutes later he told us it was taken care of. He brought my attention to a turtle egg nest that had been found right there on their beach that would be rescued and then found the details for us to go participate in a baby turtle release that evening (if you are in to turtles, I highly recommend this. Ask Angel or the concierge.) JJ (Juan Jose), Raul, and Alonso by the pool provided impeccable, gracious service and kept the food and drinks coming promptly. We were on an all-inclusive but we always tip. They provide great service and we appreciate it so we show it. Just because it's all-inclusive doesn't mean you shouldn't tip and I'm always shocked at the folks who whine about it. Keep in mind that you are in Mexico. They are working very hard six days a week to make you feel special and pampered and make less in one day than 1 hour of our minimum wage. Tipping is saying "thank you for your great service". So yeah. I tip.
Restaurants- Mostly we ate at La Casona and La Trattoria and the food was very good at both restaurants. I prefer the food at La Casona but prefer the beachside location of La Trattoria so we'd bounce back and forth. I was there for my birthday and they all made it very, very special for me. La Casona breakfasts were fabulous. Omar and Alan promptly took care of every detail and my coffee cup was never empty. Some the traditional Mexican dishes were to die for ... and the French toast and eggs Benedict, too. Every thing we had there for dinner was great, the steak in particular. Surprisingly, even the wine was really good, as some all-inclusive wines are awful. I was a big fan of their Martini's, and in truth, I am very hard to please when it comes to a Martini. Miguel was usually our waiter and his service is, again, impeccable. Attentive, prompt, perfectly timed, but not intrusive. At La Trattoria, I loved the Caprese salad and the fish dishes. The only thing I didn't care for was the spagetti vongole. The red sauce tasted like spaghetti-o's to me, but my fella liked it. I would like to give a shout out to the bread department at both restaurants. The collection of little mini pastries in the morning (I am still missing them) and the little collection of warm breads freshly baked every night were divine. Superbly done, to whomever is in charge of that little detail!
Room service was equally as wonderful. I usually don't like to get room service because its always cold by the time it gets there - but they bring it piping hot. How do they do that? The last half of out trip we would just have breakfast on our EXPANSIVE verandah with its jaw-dropping view.
Food by the pool- everything we tried was, again, really great. I especailly loved the guacamole, pico de gallo,and fresh chips. The fish tacos were fab and the have one of the best club sandwiches we've ever had. Perfect fresh fruit plates, quesadillas, and delish burgers. The lime marinated ceviche was better than the "traditional", which I thought was in a ketchup like sauce.
The Spa- world class. 5 stars. Best messages we have ever had and we've had quite a few.
Room- I felt like we were in a suite at the Four Seasons or other 5 star hotel - it's that nice. We stayed in a 1 bedroom, 2 bath suite, which was more than enough space for just the two of us. It's nice to have that frige for leftovers and really nice to have the laundry in the unit so you don't have to pack as much and dry wet bathing suits quick. My only complaint is that the beds are waaay to firm. Ask for a foam mattress pad. It helps soften the blow. Beds in the other top rated resorts in Nuevo Vallarta are also hard as a rock so this is not unique.
All in all - 5 star service, 5 star spa, 5 star rooms ... The restaurants are mostly 5 star with just a few misses. We loved our stay. We can't wait to go back. If you are looking for a relaxing and memorable vacation and want to be pampered in luxury - look no further. Villa La Estancia strikes that perfect balance of luxury and home away from home feeling.
*As I stated, this was our 2nd stay there- the first a year and a half ago ...and they all remembered us. It was amazing.
*To "The Management" - Your staff is why we want to return again and again. They are a treasure.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on floor 7 or 8, center building for a better view. Ask for a foam mattress pad to so...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

The 2 bedroom suite with kitchen was big and had everything for a family of 5. Hotel is expensive for what you get but the staff are friendly and very helpful. Would be better and more family friendly if there were more activities for kids.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Villa La Estancia? Share your experiences!