“We had a great time in Mexico!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Vallarta

You added Hotel Riu Vallarta to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Vallarta
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av de Los Cocoteros S/N | Lote Hotelero G, Nuevo Vallarta 63732, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EARLY BIRD SUMMER DEALS
Ranked #13 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Thompsonville, Michigan
“We had a great time in Mexico!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My husband and I stayed here 4/26 - 5/3.
- We left the airport in a taxi. 340 pesos. Quick note on the way back from the hotel to the airport the taxi was 180 pesos. Ask around at the airport, we did not.We arrived to the hotel and had a very fast check in. The staff speaks great English, I speak horrible Spanish. This was a great help! We paid for wifi in our room. Credit card is $42 usd or cash is $50. The rooms are very basic. But the bed is very very very HARD! In fact I looked under the sheets to see if we were sleeping on the box spring. Maid service is good, but could be faster. We had no animals made out of towels at this Riu.
- The food was good. Pretty much the same thing over and over again each day, but always something to eat! Asian Restaurant was good and the Steakhouse was great!
- Bars are very fast at making your drinks. We did do the drink of the day each day, also very good and fun to try. Strange thing is no Corona.. Great bartender is Tony!
-Beach is ok. Always a place to sit. You cannot see the bottom of the ocean here. But there is Gold sparkles in the water!!! Great waves! We do have bug bites and noticed other guest did too. And there are cats that use the beach as a liter box in front of the steakhouse.
- Pool is so much fun. You do have to put a towel down early in the morning to save yourself a spot. We did the adult side and kid pool. Each are clean and a great time!
- The staff works very hard on the landscaping and it is very nice. Very clean hotel!
- We did have a amazing time! We took a taxi to the boardwalk. And we went to the mall, and we went to Vallarta Adventures. We felt safe, always. The Riu Vallarta does a wonderful job, its the animals and insects, which they have no control over that make it interesting.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (802)
Big Lake, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

The resort is well kept and clean. Two pools where you will be lucky to find a spot at unless you are up early or go early evening. 3 restaurants to eat at in the evevings which require reservations. We tried the steakhouse and the gourmet one. Steakhouse was much better and overlooking the beach and ocean. During the day the steakhouse is a casual lunchplace with good selections. They make pork, chicken and steak tacos.
The buffet is open during the morning and evening with good selections as well.

Bars-I only drank beer so I'm not sure of the quality of the drinks. Servers seemed nice and were quick. Tony at the entertainment bar was very good.

Rooms-Nothing to fancy about the rooms. I wish they had outlets on each side of the bed. One outlet was loose so my phone would not charge unless I had it a specific way. We had an ocean view room on the fifth floor in the front of the left wing. It was a nice view of the pool and ocean.
It was very hard to nap during the day because of the noise from courtyard/pool area. Our first day we had a room on the first floor which was very noisy because of the lobby. We decided to upgrade.
I upgraded my wi-fi so I could use it in my room and pretty much everywhere in the resort. It was around $40 u.s. dollars for a week on up to 4 devices. It worked good for facrbook/twitter. It was spotty reception in my room probably due to my location from the wi-fi extenders.

Beach-Plenty of sun chairs for everyone. Some are more shaded than others. I never had a problem finding shaded areas. Locals will sometimes come up and try to sell you things but a no thank you works. Barely had any try to sell me anything. The water itself is not clear since its the Pacific ocean but the bottom is nice and hard and shallow for a ways out. We seen dolphins one morning gathering around kayakers.

Entertainment-shows start a 9 p.m. They are pretty good. The Micheal Jackson was my favorite followed by men vs women. Their was one women server in the entertainment area that served us once after forgetting our order. The next day she forgot our order as well and never recieved it, after that she would not even ask if we wanted anything. Maybe she didn't like us?

Other-other guests seemed to be pretty nice. Except I think some don't like Americans. One night at the bar a women from Toronto kept saying things like "unless you are an American". My wife and I are quiet people and as far as I know are not rude. It just kind of upset me that while you are on vacation you cant just let go of stereotypes and enjoy the multi nationalities.
We went on the Rythms of the night excursion. It was nice but quite spendy. We also had to pay for our taxi ride to the docks and back which added about another $20 dollars, so it was about $280 dollars for two people. If you dont like boat rides it might not be for you. Bumpy one hour ride across the bay in a big catamaran as well as one hour ride back. I'm a pretty nervous person though. The views of the sun setting and coming up to the mountains was amazing.
We also took a taxi to the town of Bucerias which is a few miles north. I guess you can walk to the town though. Have them drop you off at the flea market and take a look around. They will bug you to buy things but a no thank you mostly works. It seemed very safe and was not nervous at all.
Overall we loved Puerto Vallarta. Beginning with flying in and seeing the mountains from the plane. It seemed the area and resort had more authentic Mexican food than the Riveria Maya. If you could put the ocean and beach of the Caribbean here it would be perfect.

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This resort is immaculate. One of the cleanest resorts I have ever seen. The buffets are clean and kept up and the rooms are very clean as well. The restrooms at the pool were always clean and every time I walked through the property, I noticed the staff working hard and cleaning on their hands and knees to keep things spotless. Staff is hard working and efficient. Food is amazing. I especially liked the fresh guacamole and salsa each day and the homemade tortilla chips and tacos were to die for. Fresh squeezed fruit juices each morning was a definite plus. My only complaint has nothing to do with the hotel but their are a ton of smokers at the pool. I would love it if that was not allowed. Other than that, beautiful property, great food and drink and amazing staff. Entertainment each evening was great too!

Room Tip: Highly recommend a junior ocean suite. We overlooked the pool and the Pacific and it was very nice...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Upchurch, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We recently visited this hotel.

Arrival and Check in - Brilliant, Fast, efficient, just like all Riu Hotels

Room - Same as above, Riu Hotels are mostly standard so no complaints there either.
Cleaning staff very efficient too. Our room was located facing outside the complex which is good as lovely and quiet. This does mean the view is not great but I don't go on holiday to spend time in my room.

Food - The Buffet Restaurants were better than the Specialty Restaurants. We could always find something nice to eat at the Buffets. The Asian Restaurant is well below standard, the Steak Restuarant was just average and the Gourmet Restaurant was not Gourmet at all (my husband and I both had steak and it was over cooked and tasted awful).

Bars - Fantastic staff, great cocktails, very lively in the evening but not over bearing. Claudia is absolutely dynamite.

Pools - The Adult pool was terrible, noisy, too small for the size of the hotel. Full of drunk Americans. Some of the sights I saw, shocked me (not easliy shocked and love lots of fun myself), but this was not pleasant. Children arounf the Adult Pool (poor staff tried to tell parents it wasn't allowed but were ignored). Anyway, the only day I spent by the pool, I chose the kiddies pool as it was quieter (even when the kids were playing organised games).

Beach - Once again, too small for the size of the hotel. We chose the beach as much quieter. We have great service from the bar here too. I have forgotten the barman's name but he ensured we were kept topped up with drinks. My husband really enjoyed taking the Catamaran out on a daily basis.

I know this sounds quite negative but I still enjoyed my holiday, weather was great and we managed to relax.

We won't be going back to this hotel, prefer the Caribbean coast, and somewhere less noisy.

Room Tip: Unless you like noise, ask for a room that faces away from hotel
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

What fabulous holiday great hotel lovely people good food , excellent entertainment , there is nothing to fault in this hotel I have stayed all over the world and this is good , so to all you people who complaint you need to get a life , happy travellers . Will be going back !!!!!!!

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

Hotel was brilliant,nice and clean and friendly staff,the entertainment was the best I have ever seen at any Riu and the crazy games at the pool were brilliant.Food was a bit repetitive but I would definately recommend staying here.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Absolutely brilliant hotel. Nothing was too much trouble. The food was great very varied. I'm a veggie and always found lots to eat. Josh and the animation team were great. Lots of areas to socialise and enjoy the evening.Very comprehensive all inclusive.
Will definitely return .

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Vallarta? Share your experiences!