“Beautiful great service but beaware of musty smell” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta

You added The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta to your Saves list
The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Av Paseo de las Moras s/n | Fracc. Nautico Turistico, Nuevo Vallarta 63735, Mexico   |
Ranked #11 of 26 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
“Beautiful great service but beaware of musty smell”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We stayed at the Gran Mayan July 11-18th in a master suite. We are owners and had oceanfront 2nd floor (no first floor rooms in tower we were in) room 3101, on the end. Room is beautiful, large and comfortable, but there was a musty, moldy smell in the extra bedroom of the room. We tried to get a different room but of course no ocean views higher (even though we are owners) we did not want land view so we kept the room. Housekeeping had to spray disenfectant into the shower drain and the vents just about every other day to get rid of the smell. Otherwise the room and housekeeping were fine!!
Bring boat shoes or flip flops for the pool area. The gravel like cement flooring is very hot and hurts your feet. The pools were warm, but it is July!! Be sure to go to happy hour from 12-1 and 5-6 at the swim up bars. There wasn't a lot of scheduled activities around the pool.
The work staff are all very friendly and accommodating. Everyone says Hola (hello) The staff work very hard. Socrates and Ramone at Tramonte (the Italian Restaurant) were excellent. Octavio, server at various restaurants was also very good. The Mexican and BBQ buffet were just OK. Pricey and the food wasn't that good. The Italian restaurant is very good. We bought an extra suitcase full of food, munchies, (cookies, popcorn, cereal, bagels etc) so we did not spend money on breakfests. The grocery at the Plaza is ok but pricey. We went into Neuvo Vallarta one day and got groceries for cheaper. Go to Eddies for dinner in Neuvo. Excellent, huge coconut shrimp. The complex is huge but the golf carts make it very easy to get around. There is not a lot to do in the evening. We did not find out about the entertainment at the Santario until half way through the week..
Overall it is a beautiful, huge resort. They are expanding even more in the coming years to add an amusement park, waterpark, more golfing, nature reserve and wildlife area. Looking forward to going back when all that is complete.

Room Tip: Higher floor, better view. Musty smell in lower floor rooms. Bring an extra suitcase with food/munc...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear vline17 :

We really appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your impression about your stay at The Grand Mayan. We are delighted to learn your trip was fun and you enjoyed our food options at, our facilities, the pools, and our staff’s service. We are certain all the staff mentioned will gladly receive your feedback as they always look to meet our guests’ expectations to the fullest.

We are surprised to learn about the inconveniences experienced. Your observations will be shared with all areas concerned as guests’ feedback is important to us, and ultimately is how we measure our success.

We truly look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Warmest regards,

The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta Management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

The rooms are gorgeous with marble floors, high ceilings, an outdoor soaking tub and all the amenities and appliances you need. Make sure you ask for a beach or pool view or else you'll be facing a parking garage. There's a nice store on site to get anything you need. The restaurants are mostly reasonably priced for being on a resort. The bartenders/waiters at the pool are incredibly nice. Make sure you're there daily for happy hour at 12 and 5 (1/2 priced drinks!). The spa provides wonderful massages (recommend the romance spa package). However, don't get the facial. My friend got the moisturizing facial and I the sensitive skin facial and their products burnt both our faces. We had red marks for 2 days!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Kelly A :

We truly appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your impression about your stay at The Grand Mayan. We are happy you enjoyed our food options, the spa and really thank you for your kind comment about our staff, as we consider them one of our biggest assets.

We are surprised to learn about the inconveniences experienced. Your feedback will be shared with the appropriate area in order to continue working towards exceeding all our guests’ expectations.

We hope to host your vacation again in the near future.

El Paso Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We stayed in the Grand Mayan July 6 – July 11, 2014. It was Great!! Taxi leaves you where boys and girls greet you and welcome you to the Resort. You walk to the Santuario and take a cart to The Grand Mayan. The guys get your luggage and take them to your room when you call and tell them the room number. Ulises was the person who took our luggage. Thank you Ulises. Cristina was the person in charge of our Check in and she was very friendly and enthusiastic receiving us. We were in Tower 3 Floor 8 Rooms 33 and 35, 3833 & 3835 rooms. Rooms are Clean and Spacious. Beds and Sofa beds are very comfortable. The view from rooms was fabulous. Kitchen sink was dripping water, but a simple call and they send someone to fix it.
Use the golf carts to move around the resort. Friendly girls and boys drive you to all the buildings. They give you information on how to go to Puerto Vallarta and give tips on what to do, just Ask.
The pools are amazing and the slide from the pyramid is great, too. The beach water (ocean) is not as clean as others but did not matter. The water is not cold it is warm and the waves are great to jump. The beautiful sunset is out of this world. The radiant colors from it are unbelievable.
We took a morning walk all around the resort and it is amazing breathing clean oxygen every step all the way. Bring your map of the Resort with you. Take time and walk all the way up to Punta Arena and come back through the Grand Luxxe, and the Grand Bliss; you won’t regret it. The view to the Ocean is Beautiful.
The Plaza shopping mall and dinner place are great. They have delicious desserts. The show at the Santuario at night is OK! Oder something to drink or even to eat and you won’t pay the cover of 50 pesos. The Mango and the Tamarindo smoothies are delicious. They will bring you some nuts and snack along with your drinks.
If you want to get out of the resort, take a ride to the Santuario, then walk to the receiving area and take golf cart #5 which will take you to the Main Entrance (Puerta del Sol). There just walk to the right hand side and there’s the bus stop. Ask the bus driver if you need to take another bus to take you to Puerto Vallarta’s downtown or if you prefer get one of the white taxis that are there waiting to serve you. Mr. Luis Robles is great if you want his phone number, message me. He speaks English. He charges less than the hotel’s taxis.
Food in the restaurants is delicious, yeah!!! we didn't cook! Buy the coupons for breakfast and dinner, it's worth the price.
Olga was our room keeper and she did an Excellent job every morning. Gracias Olga!
At check out, you will pay around 60 pesos per night for city taxes. Try doing check out a night before or early in the morning because it gets busy in the morning.
Greet everyone and you will be greeted too. Enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: 3rd floor an up are fabulous.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear OseaNo:

Thank you very much for providing your comments about your vacation at The Grand Mayan. We are pleased to learn you had a wonderful vacation, that you enjoyed our food options, the pools, you perceived the resort’s cleanliness and took advantage of the promotions available during your stay. We will gladly share your comments with our staff as well. We are certain Ulises, Cristina and Olga, will gladly receive your feedback, as all our staff is always looking to meet our guests’ expectations to the fullest.

Comments like yours inspire us to continue creating ideal vacation experiences.

We truly look forward to serving you again in the near future!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Im Mexican and couldnt believe we had this type of places. Very well designed, everything is very pretty and well mantained, i didnt feel like i was in México! Great landscaping, the restaurants are expensive but very good. We couldnt help endulge daily at the bakery and creeps at la plazita.

The only downside is that the beach is Not pretty, but we didnt feel like we needed it! I didnt miss it.

The kids loved the water slide, pool and the "río loco" was a hit for both adults and kids.

Had a great time!

Stayed July 2014
Dear melissa r :

We are always grateful that our guests take time to share their vacation experiences at The Grand Mayan. We are happy you enjoyed our food options, landscaping and our spectacular pools.

Our primary goal is to ensure you are able to relax during your much deserved vacation, and we are pleased to learn we achieved this goal by reading your comment.

We will be delighted to welcome you back!

Chapala, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Feb 28-March 7, 2014
Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta

We arrived to Grand Mayan Property and so, so many changes since we had been there last. Everything is changed and elaborate.
We drove so we followed signs to Grand Mayan check in. A bit daunting as they have these loading areas, you pull up, they unload your car/taxi what have you and then place your things in these covered luggage carts , telling you repeatedly how secure they are and they even lock them but not with keys, more like plastic tabs. Off goes your luggage, you are shown where to go to check in, frankly quite the walk, but I think if handicapped they can wheelchair you or so forth. Check in was quick and easy, leaving a credit card on hold. We were there thru RCI but are actually members of Grand Luxxe, but booked RCI before we became members. We were assigned our room, a two bedroom, we had friends checking in to share unit with us in a few days. They have train like golf carts to take you around property. We called for our luggage upon arrival to room, as they said and it all appeared. Valet parking was good as was bellboy service to room, though no clue where our car was actually parked.

The rooms are the same as at any Grand Mayan. Spacious, well kept, everything you might need in a kitchen for appliances. We were not able to get an ocean view room, but our room faced over the property so was fine.
They do have available room service for fee and also have a coupon like meal plan but does not include any beverages or drinks so we found it pricey and opted out of that. We went to grocery store for staples, and also went to the Plaza store at Grand Luxxe which was a higher price but had everything you can imagine. More on that later. We find they tend to nickel and dime you for everything for example liter of water 25 pesos in room, so we did not use.

There are numerous pools with fountains etc., throughout resort. The lazy river is just great. Poolside service is quick and easy but again pricey though portions are quite plentiful. There is a wave pool and a beach like pool. The waiters are on 2 wheeled scooters.
The whole place has changed so much and is so expansive, and unique it feels like a mini Disney world. We dined at a few restaurants while there and again food was always good and in large portions. Service was good, drinks were also good but quite pricey. Everything was fine but there is due to the large size that lack of personalization. Not complaining as we enjoyed our stay a lot. We dined one night at Samba Restaurant and everything was great. The two ladies were celebrating birthdays so waiters were told. They brought a dessert at end of meal.. which was a nice touch until we noted they charged for it. Sort of strange as if going to pay for a dessert I would have picked what I enjoyed.

The Plaza, the shopping mall on site is two floors, groceries, chocolates, wine, alcohol, anything you can imagine, prepared food and or raw food to cook in room, all of high quality. Essentially you never have to leave the property. On the second floor were clothes and such. Even a Diamonds International. Just amazing.

The Sancturio, where you can go at night for drinks, a free shows nightly, if drinking etc. is amazing in and of itself. If you are not drinking there is a 50 peso cover charge, so at least have one drink and enjoy! It is an impressive area.

We had daily maid service and turn down service if desired. The keys another unique feature, are actually your bracelets you wear as guests. So always accessible. We went into Puerto Vallarta only one night as there was just so much going on that we did not need to venture about.

We had a great time and looked forward to our return, until checkout. You have to check out by 10am, early check out I think. Called bellboys and the guys went to pay, check out, and such. The bellboy loaded all our luggage, two couples, driving onto one luggage cart, which I thought was a bit much, but so be it. The cart was locked in front of us and off the luggage went. The guys went to car to have it loaded while the ladies waited in room. This was the first mistake. Apparently when bellboy arrived with luggage, it was separated into two carts ( huge mistake, breach of their own policy). The guys had them load everything into car and felt all was okay as number of pieces of luggage was correct. I would never have done that I would have checked certain bags for things, but I am the packer. Off we went , quite happy.

Upon arrival via car to Lake Chapala, I went to get my Ipad out of my pink bag, where I keep it in a case with keyboard. I usually carry this bag with me, but I felt very secure in this luggage cart locking procedure etc., so I let them take that bag also. ( Third mistake). No Ipad in the pink bag, just the Ipad case and keyboard. I told hubby and he said oh no, maybe you put in different bag so we unpacked everything. No IPad. Then it is when hubby told me about the two luggage carts. I would have questioned it right away. I would have checked for my Ipad. Well we called Grand Mayan, filed a complaint and they tried to say must have been taken by airline, no we drove and never left car alone. We send letters, to many people at Grand Mayan, Vida Headquarters etc., and they assured us everything was on camera and so on and so forth. In the end their response was there was no proof the Ipad was taken by bellboys. Well the biggest point I felt was just in breaching their own policy and opening the luggage cart and changing it into two without one of us present was enough proof of a problem. I was told a manager was present, frankly I did not care who was present, my Ipad was taken, and they broke their own procedure and have an unhappy customer, who is actually an owner at Grand Luxxe and not so sure how we feel about that now.
We are due at Grand Bliss in a few weeks via an RCI exchange also booked before becoming Grand Luxxe members. They are giving us a VIP check in, not too impressed. My Ipad has never been found, I have disabled it online. I do feel they, Vida property should have taken responsibility for this due to their breaking their own rules. If I were to say something was missing, as a lie, it would be something much more than an Ipad 3. So I advise anyone going there to make sure al valuables are with you the whole time during check in and check out, despite the feeling of security they give you.

My husband says when we go to Grand Bliss we are staying with luggage but not sure that is possible, as they have a system. I do know we had a great vacation and the property is amazing, but we are thoroughly disappointed in their handling of this situation. If I were not a member, it could be that we would not return at all. For the sake of a small amount of money to replace an Ipad they have made a very unhappy customer/member. ( Mind you was bad enough I had sensitive information on my Ipad due to being a breast cancer survivor so some pictures etc. not what you want out there). In closing great vacation and property, very poor customer satisfaction in a bad situation.

I am looking forward to staying at Grand Bliss and then using our membership at Grand Luxxe despite all this but my husband is not, and feels sorry we purchased he said. His words Customer is always right and an unhappy customer is poor business.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear bezerk :

We really appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your detailed impression about your stay at The Grand Mayan. We are grateful for your preference as we always like to welcome back guests, and we are very happy to learn you enjoyed our accommodations, our spectacular pools and lazy river.

However, it is disappointing to learn that your experience was not satisfactory. This highly exceptional occurrence will be addressed by the appropriate areas as we always work hard to have a clear communication with our honored guests.

Your comments are always welcomed.

Always on Vacation
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Upon arrival, avoid the bag stand and just walk using the bridges to the lobby. It's maybe 6-7 minutes and well marked by signs. It took about 40 minutes to get there loading bags and waiting for the shuttle.

When leaving, the bell boy took our bags and we had a bose sound dock stolen from our bag. It was my daughters Xmas gift and she was so upset. They put snap ties on the bags to give you the impression that they are safe, but obviously it was cut and another was put on.

This was probably the only real negative of the property (and the marketplace frozen yogurt was gross!!!) There is a nice gelato/smoothie shop on the main level next to the gym which was very nice and the pizza delivered to the room was good as well.

Rooms were clean and service everywhere was good, just avoid the sales pitches and by groceries at the Wal-Mart which is a $7 cab ride. For food, go to Eddie's.

Room Tip: Get a room higher up. They never give ocean view to renters and exchangers unless you arrange it wi...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Westhawk :

We truly appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your impression about your stay at The Grand Mayan. We are really happy you enjoyed our resort, our food options and most of our staff’s service. They all work day and night doing their best to help our guests enjoy their vacations.

We are shocked to learn about the inconveniences experienced during your visit, this highly exceptional occurrence will be shared with the appropriate area since we strive to make each and every one of our guests feel cared for.

We hope to welcome you back in the future to truly impress you with what we have to offer.

Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

This resort has to be one of the best that I have ever booked! By far from the time you approached this property everything is done in a First Class manner. The Spa service is so relaxing you don't want to leave. The views are breath taking. Plus the customer service is nothing less than VIP from the time you check in until you check out. The rooms are simply gorgeous! Plus enough amenities that you really never have to leave the resort. This is not an inexpensive resort so be prepared for a hefty bar and restaurant tab if you eat and drink at the resort.

Room Tip: Book very early!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Gregory J:

We really appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your impression about your stay at The Grand Mayan. We are delighted to learn your trip was fun and you enjoyed our food options, our facilities, the pools, the spa and our staff’s service. Everyone works tirelessly - day and night, to make our guests’ visits the most comfortable experience ever.

Comments like yours inspire us to continue creating ideal vacation experiences.

We truly look forward to serving you again in the near future!

The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta Management.

Been to The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta? Share your experiences!