“Ocean view” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta

You added The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta to your Saves list
The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Av Paseo de las Moras s/n | Fracc. Nautico Turistico, Nuevo Vallarta 63735, Mexico   |
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
“Ocean view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

We have been owners for 7 years. We have upgraded to the Bliss two years ago.

In short haven't been able to get an ocean view for the last 3 years.

Timeshare is not worth the investment. You can get the same room at an owners cost just about anytime of year.

• Stayed January 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
Grass Valley, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We have always enjoyed staying a the Grand Mayan, but after this last trip for 16 nights, construction is everywhere. So many of the restuarants were not open, you can only get breakfast buffet on property, you are not allowed to order ala carte. Food was average, much better at the Grand Mayan in Playa del Carmen.
Check-out was a joke, three hours long! After finally getting on the phone with the reservations dept. did they finally agreed to pay us the promised monies regarding food and beverage credit. Too bad they are so interested in sales and not taking care of the present owners. the two couples that visited us will not purchase at this property because of experience with check out.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view 5 times and you may get it. Also ask to be away from construction zone.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Jacksonville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

I found the facility excellent. Would have enjoyed more activities at night on the beach or at the lounges. I would like to say the daytime activity group was excellent and the people who conducted the activities were excellent with the guests. I would recommend everyone to go to the activity hut each day and see what is going on. Ask for Robin or Ivan.

• Stayed October 2012
Anacortes, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

After 23 years making the annual vacation trip to Puerto Vallarta, we tried Nuevo and the Grand Mayan Resort from 11/2-11/9/12. ORIGINALLY we were booked into the Grand Bliss, but RCI (watchful as ever) contacted us to alert us re. heavy construction. RCI offered to move us to the Grand Mayan and we're really glad we did! Although the Bliss and the Luxe are the newer facilities, they are already doing some major remodeling to those two hotels...By Far the Grand Mayan was the BETTER OPTION. Per usual in Mexico, after a quick scan of our nice two bedroom, two bath unit we found that the refrigerator smelled (and wouldn't get cold) and the coffee maker was broken. A few quick calls to the conceige corrected those problems.

Our room was lovely, but did smell a bit musty...but we find this is pretty typical in Mexico and probably due to the climate.
A Few Other Tricks of the Trade and Info...
1. When booked at the Grand Mayan, call the resort and get a confirmation for FREE shuttle to the resort. This is a one-way only perk, but worth it! You'll pay for that return cab ride.

2. Don't forget that all important DAILY tip to your maid (camarara/criada). Our rule of thumb is $2.00 per person per day. We leave that along with a note of any additional requirements we may have, i.e., toallitas (washcloths). ALTHOUGH there was a packard that stated washing dishes would result in an additional charge to our room, we avoided such charges by tipping our maids...they did a great job and were happy to wash up our few dishes (we were on vacation you know and dishes aren't a part of my vacation!).

3. Bring $50-$100 in ones for maid tips, bathroom attendants, and for beach purchases. They come in handy...we also bring some $5. American money goes over well. (AND PEOPLE, please get a grip...when bargaining with the beach vendors you REALLY need to cut what they are requesting in 1/2 and then reduce it alittle more...you NEVER pay more than 1/2 of the asking price...otherwise just buy it up town, it will probably be cheaper!
Another STRANGE plackard in the room stated that FREE lockbox (safe boxes) were available in the lobby, but that you would be charged if you used the ones in the rooms. Again, we used the room lock boxes and never ended up with a charge? (maybe the tips??).
We PUT ASIDE the two bottles of water we found in the refrigerator and did not use them. In checking our final bill we found we were charged for them, but the charge was quickly removed when we advised we'd not used them. (When we arrived we immediately cabbed to the local Walmart and stocked up on beverages, a case of water and a few large jugs of water for coffee making and bathroom use...the water MAY BE FINE in the hotel, but we've always adhered to this practice for the sake of safety! We also picked up a few lunch items.
Remember, hotel tax is now charged daily and collected at the end of your stay at final check out. This is IN ADDITION to what you paid for your room. At the Mayan the tax ran 15.50 peso/day.

4. The Asian Restaurant was super...we actually didn't order any entrees, but rather got 4 hor d's and some drinks...very filling and tasty...the Green Dragon drink a little syrupy, but the Gong was super!

Our COMPLIMENTS TO THE GRAND MAYAN...when we checked in they gave us a letter stating we would have $300 US in food/beverage credit at their restaurants. AND, true to their word, what we charged to our room was applied to this credit...BUT, TIPS ARE NOT...if you receive such a complimentary gift, it is for food or beverages only...not the tips you leave.
The Grounds at the Grand Mayan are lush and beautiful. However, it is a 5 min. walk to the BEST pool (Infinity) that is between the Grand Bliss and the Luxe. It's a GREAT POOL and we found it never to be crowded, and no hassle over getting a lounge poolside. There are two side by side pools, one for kids and one for adult, a REAL PLUS. Wandering through the property is the "Lazy River"...with lots of tubes. It was fun to float it...and there is SUPPOSE to be a wave machine that runs every so often which would have made it more fun, but tried as we may, we never seemed to connect with that feature.

The Grand Mayan also had a great little piano bar with a local entainer who could both play the piano and the trumpet. He could do everything and was quite fun to listen and dance.

We were PRETTY DISAPPOINTED in Brio. The Mayan Spa...a massage was $160 US...We're used to paying 20-35 US in PV so NO MASSAGES this year....this will probably drive us BACK to Puerto Vallata next year rather than to Nuevo. That and the internet is NOT worth the price either...they want around $95 for the week, etc. so we skipped that luxury too.

It should be noted that MOST of the clientele at these resorts are OLDER...If you're looking to party hardy and want a lot of night life and action, then maybe Nuevo won't be your cup of tea. (We did cab into PV's Old Town one night however, just to shake it up a little, and were happy to find that Graham was still playing at the Blue Shrimp.)

We did attend a Fiesta one evening for 702 pesos per person...(about $65.00) It was a first for us and we're glad we did, but not something we'll do again. Entertainment and food just so-so.

A short cab ride from the hotel we dined one night a Prime 159 Steakhouse. It was fabulous! Filet Mignon with sides of asparagus, sauteed mushrooms, and a potato dish. Shared the sides and also ordered two Caesars that they served up in three orders for us...we could have split just one...it was a lot!

A short cab ride to the Banco Norte yielded 12.5 pesos to the dollar (good rate), and that bank is kind enough to make a copy of your passport for you (a requirement to exchange money at Mexican banks now). There was another bank in the same shopping center, but Banco Norte seemed to be the favorite and did the best job and gave decent rates. (We always make and bring a couple copies of our passports with us to save time....some banks won't make you a copy so safest idea.)

Bucerias is NOT a short walk from the Grand Mayan. I'd read other reviews saying it was a short walk if you stay in Nuevo, but NOT from the Mayan. We did cab up one night tho and visited some nice restaurants.

AGAIN compliments to the Mayan chain. On our departure day we left around 9 a.m. (had paid our bill the day before) and cabbed to the Mayan Palace at the Puerto Vallarta Marina and checked our luggage with the bell captain (we'd confirmed this would be OK with the conceige before we left the Grand). That allowed us to cab to Old Town in PV to shop and have lunch at PiPi's then back to claim our luggage at the Palace and off to the airport to catch our 4:15 p.m. flight home. It was a perfect trip.

OF COURSE...THE FINAL CAUTION...AVOID THE TIME SHARE PRESENTATIONS!!! One lady we spoke with down at the pool was telling us she's already sunk around 100K into the Mayan...I mean, really??? We have an aftermarket 2 red weeks that we picked up state-side years ago for 5K...and don't even have to pay maintenance if we don't use the weeks...THEY'VE BEEN WELL WORTH the 5K...but 100K??? AM THINKING NOT! Believe me, you WON'T get any timeshare deals in Mexico....if you're looking, check TimeShare Only or similar company stateside.

Room Tip: FORGET IT...Just be NICE when checking in...IF YOU DON'T OWN at a Mayan, you WON'T BE GETTIN...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Jane Lew, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Let me start off by saying my wife and I typically don't stay in fancy hotels/motels/resorts. This was the best resort we have ever stayed in. It is truly beautiful. Another reviewer stated she felt like she was in the Garden of Eden. I can understand why. The ground are meticulously cared for, beautiful to the extreme. There are many fine pools, including a childrens waterslide area that I would have loved when I was a child. We definitely enjoyed the Lazy River. It was cool and relaxing during the hot afternoons. The ocean was much warmer than I expected. The beach tends to be rocky. One day I walked on the beach to where the river comes into the sea. There were probably about 15 pelicans sitting on rocks in the shallow area. They would leave and go fishing nearby, then return to the rocks. It was really neat.

We are not members. This stay was part of a package cruise/resort deal we had purchased from RCI. I had some concerns after reading some of the reviews about the Grand Mayan, especially those who mentioned an odor in the rooms. We were very pleased with our room. It was on the 5th floor of the third building. It was spacious, clean, and included a sitting area, nice HD TV, and a large whirlpool tub. There was construction not very far away, but we could not hear it from our rooms.

The staff are every bit as friendly and helpful as everyone has said.

Especially after reading all the concerns about the timeshare presentation, we decided ahead of time that we would likely not do it. I think because I showed some slight interest in the benefits of enduring the presentation, I got two calls from the timeshare folks after the first day. My recommendation is to decide ahead of time if you want to do the presentation. If you don't, make that very clear in the beginning, and show no hesitation, or they will continue to pursue you. They were not agressive with me, but they will be persistent, so practice your assertiveness skills!!

A couple of tips: At the airport do not make the mistake I made of thinking that the people in the first room after you leave the customs area are the Miller transport group, who will provide you the free limo ride to the GM. They are hawkers who will insinuate they are with Miller, but they will be trying to sell you tours, etc. I recommend you not trust them at all. Instead, keep walking into the next room, and you will see a sign that says Miller. I had tried to arrange the free transportation through GM, but did not get a response to my e-mail. So, I decided to take a chance. Miller transported me for free even though they did not have my name on their list. They just asked to see my paperwork for the GM stay.

Many people have commented about the bus transportation from the GM to downtown PV. Some said that it took a long time. I did not find this to be true. When you are at the bus stop close to the GM look for the "Directo" bus. This will take you to the WalMart stop, where you have to get off the bus and take the "Centro" bus to downtown, e.g. to the Malecon boardwalk, flea market, etc. The Centro buses are evey bit as rough and tumbly as others have described. They sound like a bucket of bolts. Some of the drivers think they are Nascar racers. Still, it is only about $4 roundtrip from the GM to downtown PV, hard to beat. It is even less to the WalMart. My wife and I decided on a compromise. We typically road the buses downtown to have lunch or dinner. We took a taxi on the way back. That way our stomachs did not have to endure all the bouncing after a meal. This worked for us. Also, most of the bus drivers speak a little English, and you can ask them to drop you off at the Malecon, flea market, etc. The taxi drivers speak better English. If you are going to the WalMart, look for the casino. Get off at the casino, which is about a block from the WalMart. You will likely see the casino before you see the WalMart, especially when you are heading from the GM downtown to PV.

A word of caution at the bus stop: there are a bunch of vendors, who will want to sell you tickets for tours. We bought one of the City Tour tickets from "Rudolfo." I think Rudolfo gave us the straight scoop. It turned out to be $10 cheaper than what we could have gotten from the GM. We loved the tour, and the tourguide, Miguel. If you are not interested in the tours, you will have to be very assertive. If you show any interest, they will pursue you until they are convinced it is now worth their while.

There are many vendors at the Malecon, and of course at the flea market. Some, I am sure, are real con arttists. All are trying to make a living. I tend to be a bleeding heart at times, so when a mother vendor is there holding her baby, I would buy some cheap things that I did not need. If you have been to Tijuana, the PV vendors are not as aggressive or persistent. If you have been to Gaza or Cairo, the PV vendors don't come close to being as annoying.

The breakfast buffet at the Samba restaurant is really good. If you go between 7-8 AM you get a 30% discount (roughly 149 pesos). We enjoyed the melos, juices, made to order omelettes, etc, etc, etc. Mostly we ate in downtown PV, where we think the food is a little better, and slightly cheaper. If you like Margaritas, be sure to go to the Cheeky Monkey on the Malecon. They are really good, and cost only $1. They are better than the food, which is ok. I'll probably write a review on the Cheeky Monkey.

We used the ATM at the GM to get pesos with a debit card. I tried to have some 20 peso bills on hand to give as tips. They appreciate it, and deserve it.

I hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Mission, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

The Grand Mayan is stunning. The entrance is unparalleled with huge Mayan statues and walls of back lit onyx.

This is a beautiful group of hotels in the center of Banderas Bay. If you're a keen explorer you will need to know the bus system or be prepared to use taxis as it is somewhat out of the way. The resort is continually expanding so yes, there is construction going on but in the most professional and non-inconveniencing way. Here are a few ideas we feel would add a positive to your trip.

Call or email the hotel before your arrival. They provide a free airport shuttle pick up.
Make the choice to decline all time share presentations even if they promise you the Moon. As with every choice resort the presentation is a grind. We didn't go and we will never go to one but this is what we heard from other guests.

In Nuevo Vallarta there is a new Walmart (60 pesos to and 70 pesos back by taxi). The bus is 6 pesos per person in the Nuevo area or 13 pesos per person for trips into PVR. Go there and get things you like to stock your fridge as the onsite SunMarket is ridiculously expensive. On that note, make sure you bring everything or are prepared to go off site to get it. Internet is way over priced (70 pesos/hour or 170 pesos/day). We ate a few times near the Marina (10 minute walk) at a place called Eddies (Lebonese/Mexican food). They offered free WiFi which served our needs The prices are definitely Canadian/American. We would suggest if you're into drinking at the pool/beach do it during happy hour 11-2 as all their drinks are 85 pesos. On the beach the waiters use Segways to deliver your orders. Very cool to watch. All the staff were fantastic. I saw that they all loved their jobs and learned that the company treats them all extremely well so they are for the most part very happy. I would say the worst part of their job would be dealing with ignorant travellers with "higher that you" attitudes which of course we saw plenty of. Our only real complaint was that all plastic goes in the garbage.

We loved our daily trips around the Lazy river. This resort is so vast in a week we were still discovering. There are fantastic areas for children; a huge pool "beach" area with shallow water for little ones, a wave pool area, a slide off a Mayan pyramid, playground pool areas, grown up areas for partying, areas for reading, relaxing, people watching, hiding; there is enough for everyone to be happy. If you want to get married on the beach this is the perfect place.

Our favorite restaurants were Samba (Mediteranean) and Gong (Asian). Samba has the best breakfast buffet. If you go between 7am and 8am there is a price discount (161 pesos/per person early and then 230 pesos/person after). On a final note we would recomment doing the excursion Rhythms of the Night. Also, at the bus stop there is a Remax sales booth. Relax, those guys, Arturo and Benito are fantastic guys (non pushy) and are a wealth of information about the area.

Room Tip: We stayed in the West tower on the 9th floor. Both ocean view and mountain views were equally appea...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Freelton, On
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed for a week. The room was large and clean. Nice view of the ocean. The food at the fancier restaurants were really good. The lunch places were only ok. Overall service for the dinners were great, for the lunches they were very slow!

Room Tip: Eat breakfast between 7-8 for the discounted price. Rooms farther away from the elevator are quieter...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta? Share your experiences!