“Great pool staff and lovely grounds” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Vallarta

You added Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Vallarta to your Saves list
Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Vallarta
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Blvd Costero 800 Sur | Fracc. Flamingos, Nuevo Vallarta 63732, Mexico   |
Ranked #12 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Victoria, Canada
“Great pool staff and lovely grounds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Went with our 2.5 yr old and it was a fantastic place to vacation with him. The pool staff, Jessica in particular who runs the kids club, and does some of the afternoon activities around the pool is absolutely fantastic. My son loved her!! The pool area is great for young kids as it has lots of different levels of varying depths, and the beach is beautiful. Koi and turtle pond, where the kids got to feed the fish with Jessica every day. Quiet location, not much else around other than a few other resorts, but if you are looking for just a quiet getaway and not wanting to be around all sorts of amenities and activities, its a great place!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

We have owned here for over 12 years. We checked in on February 15 and we're given a studio in building 3. It has a hotel room in front of it and every night the people check in are loud and inconsiderate. I asked several times to change but always maybe tomorrow. From the management down they will say anything to get you away from the desk. The waitstaff and activities people are great. They cater now to the all inclusive crowd not the owners who funded the construction. The rooms all need repairs and we had to call over 10 times for them to fix something. I will have difficulty coming back. It is too bad as the beach and location are wonderful

Room Tip: Make sure that if you are in a Studio that you not stay in Building Three as they all ahve hotel roo...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
BelAirVallarta, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Vallarta, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear Member/Guest:

First of all Bel Air thanks you in advance for the comment left on Trip, we value your comment as one of our long returning guest/Member.

We do apologize for any inconvenience caused throughout your stay regarding having to call several times for a maintenance situation, this should not be the case, however we will reinforce the follow up on all maintenance calls, you can rest assure.

Regarding the room assignments, being member here at Bel Air all memberships are floating and there is no guarantee which location will be assigned, we do try hard to fulfill however during out winter high season dates its more difficult so our members on our resorts. However we do try and you can be listed in a waiting list so that our next room option is showed to you to decide if you would like to move location for a better view.

We truly hope that you return so for a great vacation time.

Kind regards,

Roberto Díaz
Interlaken, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

My brother and I spent the week of March 4-11, 2014 at Bel Air. I chose this resort because it was formerly a Playa del Sol resort. Playa del Sol went out of business and Bel Air has absorbed all of the Playa del Sol memberships. I found the resort very pleasant and inviting . It's small and tucked between the much larger resorts RIU Palace and Flamingos. They welcomed us with a mimosa and the concierge welcomed us "home" because we are all family here. I was concerned because we needed a room with 2 beds and they weren't able to guarantee thatv b. We just had to wait and see what was available when we got there. Well we got 2 beds, but in a tiny little studio on the ground floor. It had a half-kitchen with half-refrigerator, one small sticky frying pan, no coffee pot or toaster. It was dank and felt seedy. I told them I was disappointed and expected much more and wanted to see another room . Next morning they let us look at another room on the top floor and it was beautiful! Two beds, sofa, big kitchen table, full-sized kitchen with coffee pot, toaster, blender; and a gorgeous view! That made all the difference in the world and we enjoyed our stay. There are "standard" studios and "deluxe" studios there, and as a studio timeshare owner, don't let the put you in the small ones - they are depressing. My only complaint was the blaring speaker at the pool in the afternoons as they played bingo or games such as name that tune. Very few people participated in those games, but everyone was subjected to the really loud and annoying speaker.

Unfortunately the week ended on a bad note. I had been asked by the concierge to have a free breakfast and information session - which we all know is a sales pitch session. However, I was told that I should be informed of all the benefits that were available to me now that I was in the Bel Air family and that did make sense to me. I figured they would try to persuade me to upgrade to a 1-bedroom, which I may have actually considered. In a nutshell, what they told me was they were obligated to fulfill the terms of my Playa del Sol contract but that my privileges fell short of what they would be if I were an original Bel Air member. For example, if I wanted to use my optional second week (known as the Award Week) I would only be able to do so between April and November; whereas a Bel Air member had no such restriction. That's when I started getting mad because I only travel to Mexico between January and March. The final straw was when they suggested that there would come a time when I may not have guaranteed access to their other Bel Air resorts (such as Mazatlan, Cancun) because they would always need to give priority to Bel Air members. So we Playa del Sol adoptees are Cinderellas in Bel Air land - second class citizens. They kept telling me that I misunderstood and was twisting their meaning - but believe me - I understood perfectly. The bottom line was that for another $7000-$8000 I could upgrade my status and be a real Bel Air owner with all the rights and privileges that went with it. Never in my wildest dreams did I anticipate that they would try to persuade me to buy a membership in the timeshare resort to which I was already a member!!!

['

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Regina, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

Thanks again to all the Bel Air staff who made our stay another awesome, relaxing time!!!!
Special Thanks to Pancho, Trini, Jose, for there attention to detail and making us feel like it's our second home. The Pool activities, Dany and Jessica, for doing such a wonderful job!!!
We have been at this resort for 3 years in a row and have had no issues. A small, quite place in paradise. The grounds and house keepers work hard to keep it clean and looking beautiful !!
You all work so hard. THANKS SO MUCH !!!!!!

Room Tip: Always had ocean view. not sure about the rest.
Redwood City, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

I spent 10 days at the Bel Air Vallarta with my 2 friends and our 3 kids. I really enjoyed the fact that the property was not huge. This allowed us to get to know the staff and the other guests. The property itself (i.e. restaurant and rooms) are not the best but the fact that some of the staff members we interacted with each day knew us so well made all the difference. The location is great because it's right on the beach so there's easy access to hang out on the beach or by the pool. The restaurant also has a great view of the water.

The staff members that absolutely made our stay so fantastic were Jessica from the Kids club/activities and Luis from the pool restaurant. Jessica has such an incredible ability to connect with all the kids. She is unbelievably warm and welcoming and always encouraging to the kids. All three of our kids absolutely adored her. They took to her immediately and could not stop talking about Miss Jessica the entire trip and asking when they could see her next. When she wasn't doing the kids club, she was getting guests involved in all the activities they had throughout the day by the pool. Most evenings, she'd also be running the 8pm activity for that night. It definitely takes a very special personality to be able to run such a program and stay energetic throughout the day. She works incredibly long hours, yet she always possesses the same amount of energy and enthusiasm whether it's 10am or 10pm.

Luis from the pool restaurant was our server for most of our stay. From the first day he served us, he memorized our drinks and would bring those to us as soon as he'd see us first thing in the morning because he knew that's what we'd be ordering anyway. He was incredibly attentive and anytime we needed something, he was always there or checking on us to make sure we were doing okay. He always had a smile and greeted us warmly.

The gym had pretty much at least one of everything anyone could need to work out so I'd say it was okay. It was just really hot because it was partially open air so it was just the hot humid air from outside wafting in. It would be offset a little by some air conditioners and fans, but they weren't on very high.

The rooms were very clean. They're not the nicest rooms I've ever stayed in but for what we paid, it was great. We got connecting rooms so it worked out nicely.

We had the all inclusive package, which included the hotel rooms, all food (except lobster and room service) and all drinks. We definitely made use of that. I highly recommend getting the all inclusive if you have kids because then you don't have to worry about if they don't like eating something, you just order something else. The unlimited drinks didn't hurt either. haha.

One of the things I'd say that wasn't so good about our stay was the staff at the Palm Terrace/Dulce Mexico restaurant. Every single meal we had there, it would always take at least 20-25 minutes for us to get our food. And it's not like we were ordering anything highly complex. Even meals that we had only scrambled eggs, cereal, fruit plates, pancakes, and things like that would take way longer than they should have. They would also often forget some part of our order. A common thing would be that they'd forget a few of the drinks that were ordered. We would always have to flag them down several times to take our order, then again to get the missing/incorrect portion of our meal, then again to get the bill. Generally, the server should be at your table checking on you from time to time once you get your food to ensure everything is fine but there was none of that, hence the long wait times and need for us to flag them down repeatedly. The food quality was all pretty good though.

All in all, this was a wonderful trip and I'd stay here again with the all inclusive package because it was super cheap (we got a deal on livingsocial, which worked out to just over $1k per parent/kid for 3 sets of parents/kids using two rooms (one deluxe studio and one regular room) for 10 days.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

We booked online. It stated that we got a standard room which included a balcony and couch.
When we arrived we were told that the 3rd party booking company was misrepresenting the rooms and that standard rooms are only a kind bed. No balcony. No view. No couch. The king bed takes up literally the entire room. The room is minuscule. Good news is, the bed and pillows were very very comfy.
Bathrooms are nice also.
We complained so many times about the room that they finally upgraded us to a suite. It was triple the size. kitchenette, couch, balcony. Absolutely lovely!
The pool is fantastic, gorgeous infinity pool overlooking ocean. Beach loungers and palapas are great too. Down side is that the staff have huge speakers/ microphone at the pool and play bingo/ blackjack/ etc all day! It is seriously loud and annoying, however if you move to the beach you can't hear.
We did not do the all inclusive- thank god. The restaurants here are awful. Awful and expensive. We walked to the mega, got our breakfast and lunch food for the mini fridge and then walked to Bucerias every night for dinner (there is excellent food in town for 1/3 of the price!)
Would I stay here again? Probably not. But it wasn't a total fail by any means.
OH! Also forgot, there was very few ppl at this resort under the age of 65... Literally. So if you are young and looking for a party scene, this is most definitely not it!

Room Tip: Do not get a standard room. No room to move.
North Plains, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

We booked a suite or one bedroom months in advance.
we got a small room with a king size bed the bed was great but the bed took up
the whole room but 2 feet around it.,
The room was next to an elevator only window was on the narrow walk to
the elevator
Toilet ran
Sink didn't drain
Air conditioner did not work
the restaurants were very good
people very friendly

Room Tip: I ran into several people that received the bait and switch even the owners were misled
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Vallarta? Share your experiences!