So let me start by saying that I recently returned from a 1 week stay at this resort. I will add that I am a previous owner of this resort when it was under Playa Del Sol Grand. I had not visited since 2007 and was pleasantly surprised to find that the resort is still in great shape.
When we arrived we were greeted by the bellman who collected our luggage and gave us a ticket for our luggage along with a mimosa cocktail! Nice touch. Proceeded to the check in and found that I was a bit early for check in (which I was) and was told that within the hour my room should be ready.
At this point the concierge Fabricio engaged myself and my wife with a welcome packet. We explained that we are owners at which point he told us about attending an owners meeting. We were offered a free breakfast to attend. Of course since we knew little about the change over we accepted as were were told it would be a 30 to 40 minute presentation. We agreed to attend on Monday (we arrived on Saturday). By the time Fabricio explained everything in our welcome package our room was ready (less than one hour). We went up to our room at whick point the bellman arrived shortly with our luggage.
We stayed on the fifth floor of the Haramara tower. What a GREAT unit! The main one bedroom unit had a full kitchen (only thing missing was a dishwasher) with a full bath and shower. The balcony had a new table and four chairs that looked out over the pool area and into the ocean looking right at the west side of the bay so we had spectacular vies of the sunset!
Our bedroom contained a master bed and another full batch with shower.tub/ We also had a small balcony with 2 chairs with the same views. The 2nd bedroom (lock off) was basically a studio that had two double beds, full shower/tub, a kitchenette and another small balcony! How wonderful the unit was!
The pool area is very well kept up and looked no different than it did back in 2007. The infinity pool looks right out over the ocean and has a swim up bar. Plenty of lounges and plenty of lounges and Palapa's on the beach to stay out of the sun if you wanted. They have replaced all of the lounges around the pool with new wicker furniture.
The restaurants of course are nothing to write home about, but then we already knew this and since we are owners we always hit the Walmart for supplies and do our own breakfast and lunches and dine at restaurants.
The activities people were very good, Karla did a great job during the day and also hosted a casino night and karaoke night in the bar.
Everything was well kept up and my wife even enjoyed a massage in the spa which she really enjoyed.
As for the owners meeting, what we were told was the old owners (Playa Del Sol) went bankrupt and the Bel Air bought out this resort and the one in Cabo. The presentation did start with the free buffet breakfast in the Palm Terrace restaurant. And then we moved to the Sushi restaurant for the presentation. We were told the background about the takeover and then shown a comparison between what we had been offered under the old owner and what we would be offered under the new owner. Bottom line they were asking us to CONVERT to a Bel Air contract. To do so would be a $6900.00 conversion plus a $875.00 in closing costs. The biggest perk to converting is the lock on maintenance fees. However considering the cost we spent to originally BUY - we could not justify converting. When asked what will happen if we do not convert - they could not tell us that. Don (who was making the presentation) was very nice and gave no pressure at all. We gave our reasons for not converting and also gave reasons why it would be in their favor to keep us as owners without converting (tourism is way down, and the economy in the US).
Our trip did include a day in Puerto Vallarta and it was nice to see all the changes to the town since our last visit. This reinforced just why we love Puerto Vallarta so much. It was beautiful. We also had several meals in Bucerias, which is only a 30 minute beach walk from the Bel Air. I will do reviews on these restaurants separately.
Our only complaint about the Bel Air (other than the conversion contract) was that the entire week we were there there was a ad in our elevator that offered a 2 for 1 90-minute massage in the spa. On Friday when my wife tried to book this she was told the 2 for 1 only applied to the 50 minute massage. We knew the 90 minute would cost more, and had no problem paying that but they would not honor the 2 for 1 for 90 minutes. At which point we canceled our appointment only to find the spa girls walking around the pool area looking for interested customers. Why would they not accept it? And only after I complained to the concierge desk did they finally remove the ad from the elevator saying that the ad was a mistake - a mistake that was posted for 6 days!
All in all we had a great time. If you go here, do realize that with only two restaurants and the pool side snack bar that you would be better served handling your own food in your room or at a restaurant then you will be fine.
We even witnessed a local wedding on the beach the night we arrived. This was quite an event that lasted long into the night (which did not bother us) and they even had fireworks over the ocean at midnight.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "Bel Air Vallarta the perfect hotel for a family vacation" Family vacations are made to be on the Riviera Nayarit. Enjoy the beauty of the traditional Puerto Vallarta, the beautiful and colorful Bucerias, or maybe the exclusive Nuevo Vallarta where you will find everything you were looking for and more. Can you imagine spending a day at the spa pampering yourself at one of the best hotels in Nuevo Vallarta? Imagine your kids having a blast at our Kids Club, everything is possible here. A destination like this provides much as you can imagine, activities on land, sea and even air is what awaits you. Stay with with your family and enjoy the best time of your lives together and create your own #BelAirMoment. Bel Air Vallarta offers 215 spacious and luxurious rooms where you can enjoy a deserved rest after those long days at the beach, pool or enjoying the gastronomic offer that we have for you along with all the entertainment options that this resort has. In addition to luxury hotel rooms in Nuevo Vallarta Bel Air Vallarta offers luxury amenities that will make your stay a unique and memorable vacation, the "Bel Air Delights" those great little details that will give your holiday a touch of sophistication and also will make you feel at home. Welcome Cool Amenitie Welcome cocktail Early Bird Breakfast View all Bel Air Delights In Bel Air we know that your holiday should be something memorable that's why we have created a series of experiences that will fulfill all your dreams and needs to make your vacation something you cannot forget. Personalized vacation experiences with a touch of luxury and sophistication, the "Bel Air Experiences". All Gourmet Experience All Romance Experience All Spa Experience ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Vallarta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bel Air Collection Resort And Spa Vallarta
- Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Vallarta Hotel Nuevo Vallarta
- Playa Del Sol Grand Hotel
- Playa Del Sol Grand Puerto Vallarta
- Playa Del Sol Grand Resort