“Nice Relaxing Vacation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Vallarta

Bookmark
You added Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Vallarta to your Saves list
Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Vallarta
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Blvd Costero 800 Sur | Fracc. Flamingos, Nuevo Vallarta 63732, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Chicago, IL
“Nice Relaxing Vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

So let me start by saying that I recently returned from a 1 week stay at this resort. I will add that I am a previous owner of this resort when it was under Playa Del Sol Grand. I had not visited since 2007 and was pleasantly surprised to find that the resort is still in great shape.

When we arrived we were greeted by the bellman who collected our luggage and gave us a ticket for our luggage along with a mimosa cocktail! Nice touch. Proceeded to the check in and found that I was a bit early for check in (which I was) and was told that within the hour my room should be ready.

At this point the concierge Fabricio engaged myself and my wife with a welcome packet. We explained that we are owners at which point he told us about attending an owners meeting. We were offered a free breakfast to attend. Of course since we knew little about the change over we accepted as were were told it would be a 30 to 40 minute presentation. We agreed to attend on Monday (we arrived on Saturday). By the time Fabricio explained everything in our welcome package our room was ready (less than one hour). We went up to our room at whick point the bellman arrived shortly with our luggage.

We stayed on the fifth floor of the Haramara tower. What a GREAT unit! The main one bedroom unit had a full kitchen (only thing missing was a dishwasher) with a full bath and shower. The balcony had a new table and four chairs that looked out over the pool area and into the ocean looking right at the west side of the bay so we had spectacular vies of the sunset!

Our bedroom contained a master bed and another full batch with shower.tub/ We also had a small balcony with 2 chairs with the same views. The 2nd bedroom (lock off) was basically a studio that had two double beds, full shower/tub, a kitchenette and another small balcony! How wonderful the unit was!

The pool area is very well kept up and looked no different than it did back in 2007. The infinity pool looks right out over the ocean and has a swim up bar. Plenty of lounges and plenty of lounges and Palapa's on the beach to stay out of the sun if you wanted. They have replaced all of the lounges around the pool with new wicker furniture.

The restaurants of course are nothing to write home about, but then we already knew this and since we are owners we always hit the Walmart for supplies and do our own breakfast and lunches and dine at restaurants.

The activities people were very good, Karla did a great job during the day and also hosted a casino night and karaoke night in the bar.

Everything was well kept up and my wife even enjoyed a massage in the spa which she really enjoyed.

As for the owners meeting, what we were told was the old owners (Playa Del Sol) went bankrupt and the Bel Air bought out this resort and the one in Cabo. The presentation did start with the free buffet breakfast in the Palm Terrace restaurant. And then we moved to the Sushi restaurant for the presentation. We were told the background about the takeover and then shown a comparison between what we had been offered under the old owner and what we would be offered under the new owner. Bottom line they were asking us to CONVERT to a Bel Air contract. To do so would be a $6900.00 conversion plus a $875.00 in closing costs. The biggest perk to converting is the lock on maintenance fees. However considering the cost we spent to originally BUY - we could not justify converting. When asked what will happen if we do not convert - they could not tell us that. Don (who was making the presentation) was very nice and gave no pressure at all. We gave our reasons for not converting and also gave reasons why it would be in their favor to keep us as owners without converting (tourism is way down, and the economy in the US).

Our trip did include a day in Puerto Vallarta and it was nice to see all the changes to the town since our last visit. This reinforced just why we love Puerto Vallarta so much. It was beautiful. We also had several meals in Bucerias, which is only a 30 minute beach walk from the Bel Air. I will do reviews on these restaurants separately.

Our only complaint about the Bel Air (other than the conversion contract) was that the entire week we were there there was a ad in our elevator that offered a 2 for 1 90-minute massage in the spa. On Friday when my wife tried to book this she was told the 2 for 1 only applied to the 50 minute massage. We knew the 90 minute would cost more, and had no problem paying that but they would not honor the 2 for 1 for 90 minutes. At which point we canceled our appointment only to find the spa girls walking around the pool area looking for interested customers. Why would they not accept it? And only after I complained to the concierge desk did they finally remove the ad from the elevator saying that the ad was a mistake - a mistake that was posted for 6 days!

All in all we had a great time. If you go here, do realize that with only two restaurants and the pool side snack bar that you would be better served handling your own food in your room or at a restaurant then you will be fine.

We even witnessed a local wedding on the beach the night we arrived. This was quite an event that lasted long into the night (which did not bother us) and they even had fireworks over the ocean at midnight.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
BelAirVallarta, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Vallarta, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear guest:
First of all, we are glad that you decided return and that you notice all our improvements, for us Bel Air it is very important for you, our guests, to have and enjoyable stay. Each change is always thinking towards you. We are sorry that you encountered an inconvenient with our spa in regards to the promotion,
We wish your return soon,

Roberto Diaz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Sandy, Utah, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I traveled with a couple and their 3yr old. We stayed in a 1 BR with a lockoff to a studio unit making it a 2BR with a King Bed in one room and 2 Queens in another plus 3 full baths and a full kitchen. The unit had incredible ocean views which we could enjoy from 3 different balconies. Bel Air staff was very friendly and accommodating. We had issues with the bathrooms and both were resolved very quickly. We enjoyed the beautiful grounds and beachfront. The infinity pool is nice, no deep ends and safe shallow area for kids. Swim up bar staff was great and served up a daily drink special and happy hours. Some days by the pool were crowded and if you hadn't staked out your lounge chair by early morning you probably weren't going to get one. We did the all inclusive three days and found the poolside service for food and drinks quick and delicious. We ate a buffet breakfast which was OK, lunch was either poolside or an outside restaurant with the usual fare; burgers, nachos, sandwiches, smoothies, chicken wings and tenders, salads etc. Another lunch option was sit down inside with very nice choices. I ate a citris green salad and grilled garlic fish served with rice that was very tasty. Dinner choices include sushi which I highly DO NOT recommend. This was probably the worst sushi ever. But the other dinner options are very good.
Bel Air is an easy beach walk to Bucerias to the north 1 mile. Bus access is in front of hotel but you have to pay 7 pesos to get you to the transfer point of the main line that brings you North/South and pay additional pesos from there depending on how far you are going. But it is easy. We rented a car one day from Budget right from the hotel and drove to Sayulita which is a great town to check out. We also stopped at Punta De Mita for more beach time
Overall Bel Air in Nuevo Vallarta is a nice family resort on the smaller side that has everything you need.

Room Tip: Higher floors have much better views and are away from pool / restaurant noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest:

We thank you for your comments, they will all be considerate.
We inform you that last month we purchased 63 new pool lounge chairs for the comfort of our guests, there won’t be a need to save them. We are glad that you enjoyed our common areas and our restaurants and their food and beverages, on the other hand, we are sorry that you were disappointed with the sushi, we are working and improving our menu, we are sure that on your next visit, you will be fascinated with our sushi and our delicious items,

We hope that you choose us in your next vacation time,

Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed the weekend of April 11-14, 2013. We were surprised by the quality of not only the rooms but also the food at the restaurants. We loved the intimate feel of the property and were happy that most of the tourists were at the Riu hotels next door. This is one gem that is perfect for a quiet getaway.
The Bel Air's website needs to be revamped a bit to accurately describe what the hotel has to offer, including their restaurants.But we were pleasantly surprised on the gourmet food. Everything that we ate and drank there was incredible. The English translation to the items offered don't quite describe what you might be eating, but we took a chance on several appetizers and entrees, not knowing that what we ordered would be impeccable.
If you do have the all-inclusive package, be aware that items are ala carte, since not all guests are on the all-inclusive package. You will see the prices of the drinks and food you are ordering, and you are responsible for gratuities. However, the food and drinks are not your typical all-inclusive fare - fried food, buffet lines, etc. This is genuine 4-5 star food that you won't be disappointed in.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest:
It is nice to know that your recent stay was enjoyable at our resort, i would like to comment that in the fall our menus will have a change which means an improvement, such as food and drinks variety and a better description of the items. Something that makes us better choice is our quality of our food and beverages, and the we have a la carte menu in all our restaurants

I would like to appreciate your comments regarding our resort, your resort.

Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

MY and my girl, we went on vacations in MAY , I can just say that this resort gave us the best travelling experience ever they did provided us with everything we were promised, they provide super nice and warm treatment, it makes you feel like at home, staff is super polite, and kind, always looking forward to provide assisstance .
accomodations are great I atrongly recommend the master´s suite with jacuzzi at balcony!!!

We weill definitely make this resort one of out favorites and so far the best one in VALLARTA!!!

Room Tip: Master suite with hot tub at balcony
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Michigan Suburbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed a week at the Bel Air in the middle of April. We had a great time at this resort. I will review the amenities that I feel are important for a hotel to be enjoyable:

Staff: Never have I experienced service the likes of which was provided by the Bel Air staff. Top notch! Not once were we made to feel like we were an inconvienience, no matter our requests.For example: I wanted a salad poolside (there is a whole list of salad options in the room service menu, more on that later), however, I was told that salads aren't available for poolside dining. But instead of leaving it at that, the gentleman taking my order offered to replace the frys that came as my side with a small salad. He could have just left it at 'sorry, can't serve those here', but he didn't. He went the extra mile to help me out. Not to mention he did so without making me feel like I was asking for the moon. All of the staff shared this type of attitude. They will stop and talk, and joke and have fun with you and helpy out any way they can. Great attitudes everyone, it was very refreshing! Hint: Learn a little bit of Spanish, it goes a long way. If you mess up, they'll happily help you out without making you feel stupid.

Pool/Beach/Grounds: The pool was very nice and very refreshing. It's an infinity pool that looks over the beach and to the ocean. The pool area was kept as clean as possible; it's very windy during the day so stuff blows around. You can also play games around the pool as salsa music plays in the background. We never had a problem getting a chair by the pool or on the beach. The beach is well manicured and the water is cool and pleasant. It also sparkles in the sun! There are flecks of some type of mineral in the water (pyrite or something) that makes it look like gold sparkling on the shore. Very neat! Yes, there are some beach sales-people, but they will not harrass you after you tell them no thank-you.
They have also buit a huge koi pond in the middle of the resort. It was my favorite thing there. The ponds fish and turtle inhabitants are visible from most of the balconies and provide some calming scenery to enjoy with your morning coffee. There are also several large lizards lounging on the fronds of the palm trees, basking in the sun.

Food: When we travel, we prefer to get out of the resort and experience the local cuisine. The food we did eat on the grounds was very good. However, there are many EXCELLENT restaurants in near-by Bucerias. I highly recommend considering one of these establishments if you are looking to go 'out' for dinner. Every restaurant we ate at left us very full and very satisfied (try some pollo con mole...traditional mexican dish consisting of chicken with a chocolate-based sauce. Delicious!).
My wife and I were both impressed with the room service menu and prices. It had probably the largest selection of food for room service we have ever seen, everything from lasagna to huevos rancheros. Everything we ordered was tasty and reasonably priced.

Room: We stayed in the one-bedroom suite. The room decor is very warm with dark wood shutters and sliding doors. LED lighting strategically placed in the bedroom added a very nice effect for mood. The bed was VERY comfortable, even if we didn't get the king size we were hoping for. We had two twin beds...no big deal. The couch and chairs in the front room were worn and not very comfortable though. They could definately use some new furniture.
The kitchen in the suite was more than adequate for anything that we needed to prepare. Go to the mega-mart to pick up your staples. We bought beer, pop, water, soups, bread, munchies, aloe, etc. for the week for under 100 u.s. dollars.

The only thing that I can say was not really up to snuff was the housekeeping. The floor was constantly gritty and I found peanuts on the arm of the chair in the front room when we checked in. They also tended to show up rather early and never replenished our soap.

I would recommend the Bel Air to anyone looking for a relaxing, enjoyable vacation (familys too!). The staff and the well manicured grounds are both welcoming and make you feel like you never want to leave. We hope to return there again before too long.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest:

I truly appreciate all your comments about your recent stay at Bel Air Vallarta, we are glad to read them, without a doubt motivates us to continue providing a good service to all our guests, it is good to know that you had enjoy your room and our common areas,
Also we appreciate you recommending our resort with your friends and family, and we will be waiting for you return,

Have a great day

Wixom, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Three ladies from Michigan visited April 13-20, 2013. We had an exceptional suite in building 6 on the 3rd floor with one king size bed and all amenities as well as another room with two queen beds, living area, bathroom, kitchen, dining room and a beautiful balcony. The staff, especially Edgar, Victor, Alicia, Hector, and Luis, were over the top accommodating and made our stay even more enjoyable than I'm sure it could have been. The facilities and grounds were immaculate, scenery beautiful, and everyone very welcoming. Very, very, very enjoyable. If I get back to Mexico, I would again stay at your facility. Thank you all so very much.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
BelAirVallarta, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Vallarta, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Guest:

At Bel Air Vallarta, we are happy to read your comments, we truly appreciate them, we hope to have your visit in your next vacation time,
Kind Regards
Oakland, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

They refused to honor discounts promised in writing. Our first clue was the breakfast for 2 we had just had at Club Regina for 180 pesos here cost 340. Plus they added 40 pesos for VAT! Supper was terrible, confusion & bad food. Our plates were delivered to the wrong table. The elevator was slower than slow. Room keys worked about half the time, the stove would not turn off & the balcony doors jammed repeatedly. Happy hours drinks were billed full price. We checked out 3 days early to try to salvage our vacation.
At checkout we were presented with a bill for almost 8000 pesos. At the bottom was a string of identical 700 peso charges. When I told the clerk we had had only 2 meals & about that many drinks, he quickly returned with a bill for 2000.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Vallarta? Share your experiences!