“Surprised by Quality” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Vallarta

You added Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Vallarta to your Saves list
Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Vallarta
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Blvd Costero 800 Sur | Fracc. Flamingos, Nuevo Vallarta 63732, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #10 of 26 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Bend, Oregon
“Surprised by Quality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed the weekend of April 11-14, 2013. We were surprised by the quality of not only the rooms but also the food at the restaurants. We loved the intimate feel of the property and were happy that most of the tourists were at the Riu hotels next door. This is one gem that is perfect for a quiet getaway.
The Bel Air's website needs to be revamped a bit to accurately describe what the hotel has to offer, including their restaurants.But we were pleasantly surprised on the gourmet food. Everything that we ate and drank there was incredible. The English translation to the items offered don't quite describe what you might be eating, but we took a chance on several appetizers and entrees, not knowing that what we ordered would be impeccable.
If you do have the all-inclusive package, be aware that items are ala carte, since not all guests are on the all-inclusive package. You will see the prices of the drinks and food you are ordering, and you are responsible for gratuities. However, the food and drinks are not your typical all-inclusive fare - fried food, buffet lines, etc. This is genuine 4-5 star food that you won't be disappointed in.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
BelAirVallarta, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Vallarta, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear guest:
It is nice to know that your recent stay was enjoyable at our resort, i would like to comment that in the fall our menus will have a change which means an improvement, such as food and drinks variety and a better description of the items. Something that makes us better choice is our quality of our food and beverages, and the we have a la carte menu in all our restaurants

I would like to appreciate your comments regarding our resort, your resort.

Kind regards
Roberto Diaz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

MY and my girl, we went on vacations in MAY , I can just say that this resort gave us the best travelling experience ever they did provided us with everything we were promised, they provide super nice and warm treatment, it makes you feel like at home, staff is super polite, and kind, always looking forward to provide assisstance .
accomodations are great I atrongly recommend the master´s suite with jacuzzi at balcony!!!

We weill definitely make this resort one of out favorites and so far the best one in VALLARTA!!!

Room Tip: Master suite with hot tub at balcony
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Michigan Suburbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed a week at the Bel Air in the middle of April. We had a great time at this resort. I will review the amenities that I feel are important for a hotel to be enjoyable:

Staff: Never have I experienced service the likes of which was provided by the Bel Air staff. Top notch! Not once were we made to feel like we were an inconvienience, no matter our requests.For example: I wanted a salad poolside (there is a whole list of salad options in the room service menu, more on that later), however, I was told that salads aren't available for poolside dining. But instead of leaving it at that, the gentleman taking my order offered to replace the frys that came as my side with a small salad. He could have just left it at 'sorry, can't serve those here', but he didn't. He went the extra mile to help me out. Not to mention he did so without making me feel like I was asking for the moon. All of the staff shared this type of attitude. They will stop and talk, and joke and have fun with you and helpy out any way they can. Great attitudes everyone, it was very refreshing! Hint: Learn a little bit of Spanish, it goes a long way. If you mess up, they'll happily help you out without making you feel stupid.

Pool/Beach/Grounds: The pool was very nice and very refreshing. It's an infinity pool that looks over the beach and to the ocean. The pool area was kept as clean as possible; it's very windy during the day so stuff blows around. You can also play games around the pool as salsa music plays in the background. We never had a problem getting a chair by the pool or on the beach. The beach is well manicured and the water is cool and pleasant. It also sparkles in the sun! There are flecks of some type of mineral in the water (pyrite or something) that makes it look like gold sparkling on the shore. Very neat! Yes, there are some beach sales-people, but they will not harrass you after you tell them no thank-you.
They have also buit a huge koi pond in the middle of the resort. It was my favorite thing there. The ponds fish and turtle inhabitants are visible from most of the balconies and provide some calming scenery to enjoy with your morning coffee. There are also several large lizards lounging on the fronds of the palm trees, basking in the sun.

Food: When we travel, we prefer to get out of the resort and experience the local cuisine. The food we did eat on the grounds was very good. However, there are many EXCELLENT restaurants in near-by Bucerias. I highly recommend considering one of these establishments if you are looking to go 'out' for dinner. Every restaurant we ate at left us very full and very satisfied (try some pollo con mole...traditional mexican dish consisting of chicken with a chocolate-based sauce. Delicious!).
My wife and I were both impressed with the room service menu and prices. It had probably the largest selection of food for room service we have ever seen, everything from lasagna to huevos rancheros. Everything we ordered was tasty and reasonably priced.

Room: We stayed in the one-bedroom suite. The room decor is very warm with dark wood shutters and sliding doors. LED lighting strategically placed in the bedroom added a very nice effect for mood. The bed was VERY comfortable, even if we didn't get the king size we were hoping for. We had two twin beds...no big deal. The couch and chairs in the front room were worn and not very comfortable though. They could definately use some new furniture.
The kitchen in the suite was more than adequate for anything that we needed to prepare. Go to the mega-mart to pick up your staples. We bought beer, pop, water, soups, bread, munchies, aloe, etc. for the week for under 100 u.s. dollars.

The only thing that I can say was not really up to snuff was the housekeeping. The floor was constantly gritty and I found peanuts on the arm of the chair in the front room when we checked in. They also tended to show up rather early and never replenished our soap.

I would recommend the Bel Air to anyone looking for a relaxing, enjoyable vacation (familys too!). The staff and the well manicured grounds are both welcoming and make you feel like you never want to leave. We hope to return there again before too long.

Dear guest:

I truly appreciate all your comments about your recent stay at Bel Air Vallarta, we are glad to read them, without a doubt motivates us to continue providing a good service to all our guests, it is good to know that you had enjoy your room and our common areas,
Also we appreciate you recommending our resort with your friends and family, and we will be waiting for you return,

Have a great day
Kind regards

Wixom, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Three ladies from Michigan visited April 13-20, 2013. We had an exceptional suite in building 6 on the 3rd floor with one king size bed and all amenities as well as another room with two queen beds, living area, bathroom, kitchen, dining room and a beautiful balcony. The staff, especially Edgar, Victor, Alicia, Hector, and Luis, were over the top accommodating and made our stay even more enjoyable than I'm sure it could have been. The facilities and grounds were immaculate, scenery beautiful, and everyone very welcoming. Very, very, very enjoyable. If I get back to Mexico, I would again stay at your facility. Thank you all so very much.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
BelAirVallarta, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Vallarta, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Guest:

At Bel Air Vallarta, we are happy to read your comments, we truly appreciate them, we hope to have your visit in your next vacation time,
Kind Regards
Roberto Diaz
Oakland, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

They refused to honor discounts promised in writing. Our first clue was the breakfast for 2 we had just had at Club Regina for 180 pesos here cost 340. Plus they added 40 pesos for VAT! Supper was terrible, confusion & bad food. Our plates were delivered to the wrong table. The elevator was slower than slow. Room keys worked about half the time, the stove would not turn off & the balcony doors jammed repeatedly. Happy hours drinks were billed full price. We checked out 3 days early to try to salvage our vacation.
At checkout we were presented with a bill for almost 8000 pesos. At the bottom was a string of identical 700 peso charges. When I told the clerk we had had only 2 meals & about that many drinks, he quickly returned with a bill for 2000.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Bethel, Alaska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Length of Stay: 7 days, 6 nights from April 12-18, 2013

The grounds are breathtaking. They spend a lot of time manicuring the lawns and keeping the grounds clean and orderly, including raking the beach and resetting the pool and beach chairs for the next day. They also keep a schedule of daily activities on a board by the towel hut, and listed in the elevator. This is helpful if you're looking for anything to do.

Customer service was hit or miss. We arrived on the property after spending close to 24 hours in airports to get there. Less than five minutes after we checked in, we were escorted into a VIP room to make arrangements for setting us up for an "invitation" to "tour" their facilities, with the hopes that we would buy a "membership" in their resort. We politely declined. But then we spent the next several days having to continue to decline an "invitation."

My boyfriend was sick on arrival. Our package included meals, but no room service. Daniela, the restaurant manager for the main restaurant (The Palms Terrace), allowed me to have a bowl of soup packaged to bring back to the room for him since he couldn't join me for dinner.

Our room was supposed to include an unlimited minibar, to be refilled daily. We reported to the front desk that it wasn't refilled, on three separate occasions, three days in a row. They never restocked the minibar, for the entire time we were there. Instead, for 3 days, they delivered a small dessert plate to our room, which we discovered after dinner upon returning to the room.

Our package included a bottle of sparkling wine on arrival. We had to ask for it a day later when it never arrived.

Our package included a romantic dinner for two on the beach. After dinner one evening, we stopped by the front desk to ask to set it up. We were instructed that the person capable of booking the dinner, Ruth, was not working but would be back the next morning. When we stopped by the front desk the next morning to set up the romantic dinner, Ruth it made it feel like it was an imposition to set it up for us at all. Then, they ended up double-booking our romantic dinner with another couple for the same venue. We had to wait an additional 20 minutes for our romantic dinner to be set up. This was another save by Daniela, whom rallied the staff to set up the table and chairs, including place settings, on the beach itself.

The room was tiny, which was a slight misrepresentation from the pictures on the website. The AC working was hit or miss. Most nights we had to open the window because it was cooler outside than inside the room. On our last night there, the AC was so cold we had to open the window to prevent putting on a full sweatsuit. We were informed via a placard in our room that Esmerelda was responsible for our room being maintained. The scope of the hotel staff cleaning the room included remaking the bed and providing fresh towels. We had to ask for wash clothes from the front desk staff when none appeared in our room for 3 days in a row. There was no taking away of dirty dishes. They finally cleared dirty dishes that had been sitting in our room from day 1 on day 4, only to leave the dishes for the next three days sitting out on the walkway.

The breakfast was mediocre every morning. We tried two different dishes every day at the Palms Terrace. Nothing spectacular. We ate dinner two different nights in the Palms Terrace. Again, nothing spectacular. The steak was tough, undercooked, and poorly prepared. The romantic dinner for two was a fixed menu, with food coming from the same kitchen as the Palms Terrace. We were a little skeptical after two mediocre dinners already. It was surprisingly phenomenal. Isaiah was our server and he was fantastic. We also ate dinner one evening in the sushi and martini bar on the premises. The fish in the sushi was very fresh and the drinks for the first time tasted like they actually had alcohol in them. The open bar, which was included in our package, was mediocre. There was no natural fruit in any of the tropical fruit drinks. They used mass produced sugar and fruit mixes. They often forgot the alcohol in the drinks themselves. We had one server admit that the bartender forgot to add alcohol when he delivered a second round that tasted like they doubled the alcohol in it to make up for the virgin set of margaritas. The menu left a lot to be desired, focusing on fried American foods for lunch time, and an Italian based menu in the evening. For being in Mexico, it was awfully difficult to find a taco.

The wifi was very slow and patchy. It cuts out anytime your wireless device hibernates. You can't play any videos at all, not even a quick two minute one.

They called a cab for us anytime we needed to head out of the hotel. This was super helpful, since we were often running at least 10 minutes late.

Our flight did not leave until 4 p.m. the day of our check out. We asked the night before if we could have a late check out of 1 p.m. We were informed this was not possible by the front desk staff. But the next day, they offered to hold our bags for us from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. after we needed to check out but while we strolled the beach one last time.

All in all, the best time we had on our vacation was the time we spent outside of the resort exploring the rest of the Banderas Bay and neighboring areas. We wouldn't recommend anyone stay here, and we won't be returning.

CALIFORNIA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I went to this resort with my mom for a 5 day trip. The resort is well kept, clean and I thought the beds were very comfortable. The first night we got there we got an okay room with no view and the AC wasnt working. We talked to the front desk and they were kind enough to change our room. We got a room with a much better view and the AC worked great.

During the day at the pool the music they played could get really slow and boring. At the swim up bar it would have been nice to have more energetic music, but that never happened. The service at the pool was great. All the guys were very attentive and helpful. That was great.

My main complaint was that the food at the restaurant was hit and miss... so was the service. There seemed to be a lot of staff, but it was difficult to get good service. The menus were okay and I just thought the food could have been much better. It just lacked zest and flavor that you would expect from a resort in Mexico. I remember my mom asked for salsa and they gave us salsa in a bottle that was not good at all. The drinks were so-so too. They use a fruit juice in their mixed drinks that just tasted artificial. I don't know.... I enjoyed my stay, but the food could have been better.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Vallarta? Share your experiences!