“Big Disappointment” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Vallarta

Save Saved
You added Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Vallarta to your Saves list
Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Vallarta
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Blvd Costero 800 Sur | Fracc. Flamingos, Nuevo Vallarta 63732, Mexico   |
Ranked #9 of 24 hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Whitehorse, Canada
“Big Disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We are currently finishing our stay at Bel Air Vallarta. I am not one that normally writes reviews and rarely do I complain about service. We are checking out of Bel Air two days early and I feel the need to give some feedback on our stay.

As mentioned in some other reviews, we arrived expecting our loft room with a view of the ocean as promised when we booked through the chat feature on the website. When we were taken to our room we had a view of the adjacent hotel's generator. We called the front desk and said that we had been guaranteed ocean or at the very least a poolside view. They said that they don't even have loft rooms with ocean views. I showed them my confirmation and they showed us another room which you could sorta see a piece of the ocean through the tree branches. The room was a lot smaller and we have a 10 month old so we took the first room and were told we'd be moved the next morning. The next morning they told us that the room they were going to move us to wasn't available until 1pm. We came back at 1 and they told us... no, now it is 4pm... we came back at 4pm and they said that the people actually aren't checking out. Finally they found us a room (we were waiting for ocean view). THis room was 2 floors up with the same 'garden' view. Then we asked if we could upgrade and pay more so the front desk told us yes we have a room with a king that is a one bedroom for $50 more a night. We went to look at it and it turns out to be two double beds. So we truck back to the front desk for what felt like the 10th time and said can we get the same room but with a king. Finally the concierge Trinidad stepped in and helped us. He knew the rooms inside out and was able to help the front desk look at the system and find us a room. We had to still forgo the view but at least it was the quieter side of the hotel and had a king size bed.

Food - the food is good; however, if you are planning to stay here for longer than 5 days you may get sick of eating the same food over and over. Breakfast buffet is the best meal of the day. The sushi bar is good, but if you don't like cream cheese you may find it difficult to order off the menu as every sushi roll has cream cheese in it. This was more than made up for by the excellent service from waiter Hector and the fantastic martinis!

Billing system - We chose the all inclusive option which we have done 4-5 times at other resorts. THis is the first place that i've ever been to that bills you each and every time you order drinks or food. You must sign for and there is ALWAYS the expectation that you will tip. We are good tippers and at past all inclusives we always leave a few dollars here and there after a meal and at the end of our stay provide our favorite staff with more substantial tips, etc. It seems ridiculous that we pay a rate for all inclusive but are expected to add gratuities on top of every meal or drink! I'm dreading to see what our bill is when we check out. One night we received terrible service at dinner and even though my husband didn't want to tip I told him to at least put the equivalent of a couple dollars on there in pesos. We got back to our room and received a call from the waiter who was questioning if we'd really meant to put such a low tip!! Are you kidding me - I should have listened to my husband and tipped nothing!

I'd say 50% of the staff are FANTASTIC! We often tipped them 20% or higher of our bills. It really felt like they cared and went above and beyond! Look for Javiar, Hector, & Trinidad.

Facility/Rooms - The grounds are beautiful and the pool is warmer than the average mexico pool. The resort is small and there is one pool so unfortunately you have to reserve your chairs before 8am or you'll be out of luck. I really find this annoying as you go to the pool and there are about 10 people actually laying on loungers but every single chair has a towel or personal item left on it. It is the same at the beach. This really isn't something that is specific to Bel Air, but more of a poor travel etiquette in general.

Our room was spacious, but the toilet was broken for the first two days. Also the pull out couch smelled really bad... we also borrowed a pack and play/crib for our daughter and it was FILTHY! I tried not to think about it too much.

Pros
the fish pond- We spent a lot of time here feeding the turtles and fish with our daughter.
Internet - if you spend $8 a day at the mini-mart you get a code for free internet for the day.
Staff - majority are great!
Facility/Beach - clean and beautiful

Cons
Front desk - unhelpful
Reservation guarantees appear to not mean anything when you arrive
We only received the little cake treats in our room once out of our 5 nights stay and there was not a treat in the room when we checked in which is promised in our all inclusive package (not really a big deal, but don't bother using this as a selling feature if you don't actually do it)
Tips are NOT included - and are expected
Annoying time share sales pitch as soon as you check in.
Spa - you get a better massage if you go along the beach to Bucerias and its 1/3 of the price and right on the beach.

Perhaps it was the horrible room situation that left a sour taste in our mouth at the very start of our check-in, but it just seemed like the service is REALLY inconsistent here. We were booked to stay 7 nights but are leaving after 5.

We will not stay here again or recommend to friends.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and upgrade to a suite. Also, be aware that you cannot reserve an ocean view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
BelAirVallarta, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Vallarta, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
First and foremost I would like to thank you for visiting Bel Air Vallarta Collection Resort & Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies for not covering your expectations. The information shared with us in each review of our guests, whether it is positive or suggesting improvements, is our greatest source of development, it gives us the most correct direction in which we should aim our efforts, in order to meet your every expectation.

Be sure we will work in the reservation area to give the correct information to our guests and about the F&B I will talk to Head Chef about your comments.

I am glad that you found services, and facilities at the resort satisfactory.

I hope you can give us the opportunity to host your future visits to Vallarta.

638 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Langley City, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We just returned from another visit to this resort. After two previous visits and a positive experience both times not only were we recommending this resort to others but now ready to take other family there. What a mistake. On arrival, after reserving and paying for our 2 BR suite weeks in advance, we were told that a 2BR unit was not available and likely not going to be available for a couple of days. We were placed in side by side studios after waiting at reception for an inordinate amount of time. Upon entering the units we were greeted by swarms of black flies. Suffice to say we were not happy, especially when it took hours to get anyone to come and spray. Photos are available!! It took three days and a couple of moves to finally have the 2 BR unit we had reserved. I only later found out that during these moves I lost my camera bag, SD cards and charger. The A/C unit in the new suites barely worked and cut out at night resulting in a lot of lost sleep for many of our party. This apparently is a longstanding problem which the management is fully aware of. The sofa bed was broken and unusable the first night being replaced the following day. The restaurant on site is very pricey and the food is mediocre(at least the a la carte) and most guests seem to prefer going elsewhere to eat which is what we did. Had the restaurant been an option we certainly would have preferred to stay on site.
The huge positive to this resort are the staff - the activity staff Lucio, Jessica and Karla are an absolute delight and work very hard to make your stay a pleasant and fun time.The bar staff including but not restricted to Rafael, Javier, Vicente, Jesus. The workers at the towel hut and around the bar Angel, Bernardo, Fernando, Ivan et al. The bellboys Isidro, Edgar, Trinidad. The reception Edna, Pancho, Oscar. The camaristas. All are exceptional, hard working, pleasant and friendly and really do work hard to make you comfortable. The resort is very attractive with a good location but there are many attractive resorts in this area where management appear more responsive to their guests. We heard many disgruntled visitors this trip and have to question the direction this resort is being taken in. We will likely not return to Bel Air and certainly will not be recommending it to others.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Please accept my sincere apologies for not covering your expectations. I do understand that Bel Air Vallarta Collection Resort & Spa does not suit your kind of life styles, I would also like to say that our goal is continuous improvement, and this is possible, thanks to comments like yours.

Once again please accept my apologies for any inconvenience you had during your stay in Belair and I hope you can give us another opportunity tu assist you.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed at the end of January and had a great time... We were on an all inclusive package and the food was EXCELLENT !! I guess they are telling the owners of this time share property that is not being sold as an all inclusive but it is... The rooms were very nice and the infinity pool excellent great staff very friendly... Not a late nice place the bar closes at midnight and usually not crowded at all.. So if you want night life there is none at the resort but just down the road you can find places. Overall a very nice place. I would recommend.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

We all are looking forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to Bel Air Vallarta Resort & Spa

Boise, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Recently stayed at this resort January 2013 Porters and housekeeping staff should be praised for all the good work that they do. Security and gardeners very friendly. This service I rate Excellent

As for the front desk they are not trained for this job they should take a course on customer service especially PANCHO not very helpful to guests to bossy perhaps he should take up another career. I would rate these services POOR

Avoid the time share sharks they don't seem to know what the answer NO means

Room Tip: don't take a room on the ground floor or you will be looking straight into a tree
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
BelAirVallarta, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Vallarta, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback. As your observation states, we are working in service care and we consider your opinions so value to maintain our services at the highest level.

We hope for the future opportunity to present you that our best efforts are made to meet the highest expectations and guest's satisfaction is our first priority.

We hope see you soon,

boise, id
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We had a loft room with balcony and kitchenette, partial ocean view which was a garden view but it really did not matter to us. Room was very clean, bed was most comfortable, usually the beds in mexico are very hard, not here. Garden area was lush and tropical and well kept. You get free 24 hour WiFi if you purchase items in the amount of 80 pesos in the little shop, but it also has free internet to use. Pool area with infinity pool is beautiful. The food in the restaurant was not that good and margarita was lousy, there a lots of great restaurants in the Bucerias village. To get there takes 20 minutes walk on the beach or taxi ride for $ 8.00. This is a very quiet resort, mostly older people or families with children. They also offer a continental breakfast but only from 6 to 7 am, this is a joke, who wants to get up this early on a vacation.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and get a loft room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for all the kind words and especially for comparing our desire to make your vacation unforgettable to a family treatment. It’s my sincere pleasure to learn from your review that our team filled your vacation with care and memories.

We all are looking forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to Bel Air Vallarta Collection Resort & Spa

Monterrey, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I'm very happy, and satisfied by this hotel, everyone treating you like a prince, or princess, or even king and queen, there's no loud music, neither kids screaming, the pool was very very clean, you never can see a single piece of trash in the floor, and specially I want to congratulate and specially thank the waiters Eduardo, Raymundo, Jesus, Luis, Chago, and Daniel for their sense of humor, their enthusiasm, patience, and everything. The rooms were decorated everyday in a different way, so I really felt like a princess, I love the hotel, and the beach, and the delicious food (absolutely every kind of food). I would like to go again in Nuevo Vallarta in Bel Air Collection Restort & Spa Vallarta.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing this review with us and all the kind and encouraging words about our team and our work. for us is to pleased to know you had an excellent time with us.

Please receive our warm regards; we are looking forward to your return visit.

Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

The service here is excellent the waiters at the pool side bar are the best. Rafael Vincente Javier Estaban are the best I can't say enough good things about these guys what a great staff and let's not forget the bar tenders Padro and Armondo

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing this review with us and all the kind and encouraging words about our team and our work. be sure that I will give the regards to each person of our staff that made your stay perfect.

Please receive our warm regards; we are looking forward to your return visit.

Laura C. Ramos

Been to Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Vallarta? Share your experiences!