“Great Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit

You added Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit to your Saves list
Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av Cocoteros 98 Sur | Riviera Nayarit, Mexico C.P. 63735, Nuevo Vallarta 63735, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, California
“Great Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

My family and I had a great experience at this hotel. We had been to the Grand Velas in Riviera Maya a few years back and wanted to try this location. They both look very similar, beautiful. We had a bit of a rough start after we checked in. Check in was easy and to our surprise we were upgraded to the Presidential Suite. the even gave my husband and I mini massages while they prepared our paperwork. The room was spectacular. 2 Bedrooms, 3 bathrooms a mini kitchen and an unbelievable View!! Our balcony must have been 1500 sq. feet with a hot tub. after check in went to the bar to get a cocktail and smoothies for the kids.... We asked for a Strawberry/Banana smoothie. My son asked me to taste it because it was so good, I tasted it and it tasted like a Pina Colada. My son is allergic to ALL Nuts, including coconut... so not a great start. Thank Goodness he was fine. I explained the situation to the Bartender, but I wasn't sure he got it. The night we arrived we were unable to get into the resturants that required reservations so we ended up at Azul. Normally that would be fine, however, we were told it was a Surf and Turf buffet. In fact, it was actually a seafood buffet. My son is allergic to shellfish/fish. They tried their best and made my kids food that was not on the evening menu... unfortunately it was cold and it took forever. The next day I went to the front desk and explained my problem to any/all available managers with regards to my son's allergies. I must tell you, from that point on we couldn't have asked for better. Everyone was very attentive to us and we received the most AMAZING service. I must give a shout out to Alfredo Mora at the pool. He was truly amazing? He was our Pool concierge the entire week and was so sweet. He remember what we liked and constantly went out of his way for us. The food at the resort was very good, but after a week, was itching for a bigger selection of restaurants. The resort in Riviera Maya and many more restaurants. Overall all, We would all go back again. We really enjoyed our time at this beautiful resort.

Room Tip: Definately get an Ocean view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
DirectorGVRN, General Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Thank you for your interesting comments and a big thank you for your continued loyalty throughout Velas Resorts. It is nice that you tried another of our properties after enjoying our resort in Riviera Maya. We take great pride in the consistency throughout our chain and that consistency includes the awareness of special culinary diets and allergies that our valued guests are concerned about. I am glad that after you formally brought those concerns to our attention we were able to circulate the information to all of our gastronomic centers and be well prepared to have your son taken care of with a minimum of preoccupation. We have processes in place and great experience in satisfying many guests with various dietary restrictions. Staff such as Alfredo Mora in our pool area is proud to be able to provide unforgettable moments and they certainly become an integral part of the experience through their professional and friendly attention. As well as anticipating the needs of each guest they actually become friends in some ways which makes the vacation even more special. I am very happy that your family enjoyed a “great experience” in Riviera Nayarit and that we demonstrated that a high level of product and service can be found at any of our properties. Thank you again and we hope that this is a continued friendship between your family and Velas Resorts. Take care and all the best to you in beautiful Los Angeles, California.

imendozarn@velasresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Sorry to write this title, but readers should know that this is a great all inclusive hotel in Nuevo Vallarta, unless you have already been at the one in Riviera Maya (RM Cancun). That one excedes this one in all aspects except service which it is the same Very Good.
As for GV Nuevo Vallarta, service is impeccable. The hotel is much smaller than its sister in RM. The rooms are half the size... Not small, but RM are huge! Surprised that amenities have downgraded in 2 years from Molton Brown to L'Occitane and they also had large sized Molton Brown Soap throughout the property wash rooms... No longer the case! the beach area is less private than in RM as the public beach is side by side... RM also public, but much more secluded.. Food was good and as spoken service impeccable.. Beds are very good and pillows VERY good. towels are very good quality in the pool / beach area and good in the rooms... They will give plenty of towels... The hotel is well maintained and very clean! The Azul Buffet restaurant does not have AC anywhere and having to wear long pants (which I agree of) in all main restaurants, makes having dinner in Azul somewhat warm if you decide not to wear long pants for dinner! Room service is very good, friendly staff and they try to please you all the time.
There are Jet Skies that can be rented 100 yards away as well as parachuting...
The main difference between both properties, is the tours in NV are more "crude nature" and the team of Vallarta Adventures does make the difference!! For that we do not regret coming to this property....
With this review, I have tried to be very objective between both properties and even though I do not regret coming to NV as per the out tours, Cancun will be the destination to go with the Grand Velas team until they open in The Cabos... Hopefully soon...
Enjoy your vacations!!!!

Room Tip: Room 514 (2 queens for my kids) was bigger than 510 (king for my wife and I)... 514 is ok but would...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
DirectorGVRN, General Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, September 20, 2014
Thank you very much Jacques for your insights into the differences of our Grand Velas resorts. Firstly, I do wish to acknowledge and thank you for your loyalty to both resorts. I am pleased that after vacationing in our Riviera Maya complex you felt that you would like to try our option in Riviera Nayarit. But apart from the geographical regions themselves, the two resorts are very distinct products in their own ways. Just as Casa Velas and Velas Vallarta are also unique products in the larger scheme of the group. One can easily research our web page that describes each of the four resorts in great detail, to not only understand the product that each one offers, but also to find the level of luxury, atmosphere and pricing that best suits the perspective guest´s vacationing needs. One point that you touch very nicely on Jacques concerns the consistent level of service that can be expected at either of the two Grand Velas. In spite of infrastructure investment, number of restaurants, luxury items, and the public rates that we charge, I expect that the service level to be of a consistently high quality for the distinguished clientele that both resorts attract and to me that is a firm commitment to our guests. Thank you again Jacques for noticing that valuable characteristic and just to let you know, we do have visions of expanding our unique product and Los Cabos is just one of the sites that we have an interest in. Take care sir and all the best to you and your family in beautiful Miami, Florida.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

We have not been to an all inclusive in 16 years because we did not like the food or drinks offered. After seeing all the reviews for this resort, we decided to try one more time. IT WAS PERFECT. First of all, Jose Ramos (pool concierge) was so attentive, beyond friendly, and kept the kids' smoothies coming! The hotel should be proud to have Jose on their staff. The pool is beautiful and overlooks the ocean. The restaurants were all very good. The waiter at Frida, Celso, was a favorite of the whole family. All three kids (12-16) had a great time and the 2 activity directors, Javier (so sweet) and Omar, always would try to include them in activities ranging from volleyball to karaoke. Our rooms were large, clean and comfortable. We had a lovely ocean view from our balcony. Grand Velas is a beautiful and we will definitely want to return.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
DirectorGVRN, General Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, September 8, 2014
Colleen, let me tell you how special it is to know that we could demonstrate to you firsthand and in person the trueness of the splendid reviews that you explored in order to convince yourself to try an all-inclusive again. And in particular: Our all-inclusive. We consider ourselves as the vanguard of high end resorts and as a team we are grateful that you chose us to host you and your family of three teenagers. I am especially proud of the employees that you mentioned, because it is for their individual efforts in different aspects of our operation that came together to provide your family with the “perfect” vacation. And that consistency amongst my staff towards our valuable guests is what helps to generate these pleasing reviews. And you have now come full circle with your own review in the TripAdvisor cycle. And you can be assured that Jose, Celso, Javier and Omar will be commended by the administration of the resort for their fine contributions to your family’s happiness this holiday. I hope that you can return again soon in order to reunite with some of your favorite staff that befriended you. And on behalf of all the employees of Grand Velas we wish you and your family a terrific autumn season in Los Angeles, California. All the best!

Redwood City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

My family and I stayed here for 9 days in July and we had one of our most memorable family vacations yet. We have two young boys - ages 5 and 3 - and both had the best time. The activities for kids, movie nights and kids club provided everyone with something they wanted. All of the options allowed for a nice balance between family time, dates and individual relaxation. The resort is clean and beautiful. Spa is world class! Service is outstanding. Food is delicious and presented well. During our stay, we celebrated our anniversary as well as my birthday. The staff went above and beyond to make both occasions special - decorations in room, champagne, chocolate covered strawberries. We couldn't have asked for anything more. Our suite concierge, Cesar Rios, was outstanding. He was very friendly, paid attention to all the details so we didn't have to and went well out of his way to make sure our vacation was everything we had hoped to be. As a result of this experience, we will definitely be returning and will recommend to all of our friends.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors have a gorgeous view of both infinity pool and ocean.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
DirectorGVRN, General Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, September 11, 2014
Thank you very much Alyssa for selecting Grand Velas for your extended family stay this past July. I am particularly pleased that over the nine days in our paradise that you and the little ones were well entertained, pampered and able to dine to your great delight over that span. I am glad that you mention the fine work of Cesar, one of my concierges. He was not only there to cater to your needs, but as you pointed out he embraced your family and went the extra mile so that you could focus on having good times in the pool, Kids club and spa. I must say that for us it is an honor to have been chosen as the resort that helped you in celebrating your two milestones. Those little touches to your suite are our way of making them special occasions indeed. It is very pleasing to us that based on your happy experiences on this holiday that you will continue to visit us in the future. And now that you are veterans of the Grand Velas experience your next stay should be even more remarkable than this one. Thank you for sharing your joyful observations with everybody on TripAdvisor and I hope that your recommendations will help other families in making their future vacation decisions. Take care and we wish you all the best to you and your lovely family in beautiful Redwood City, California.

Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

My family and I stayed here for a week in June and had a great vacation. Everyone working at the hotel was very nice especially Alejandro Arce and Manuel Hernandez whom work at the pool area. They truly went above and beyond to give us excellent service. The food is overall good with great presentation. We ate at all the restaurants and enjoyed the Mexican and French Restaurant as well. The Italian restaurant had good food but missed the service and ambiance that the other two restaurants provided. The pool is beautiful and we enjoyed being by the pool everyday. We are beach lovers, however we did not enjoy the beach here that much. Overall we had a very nice experience.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you very much Mr. Ray for selecting Grand Velas as your family vacation destination this June. It pleases me tremendously that your family had a great vacation with us and that Alejandro and Manuel provided you with excellent service during your relaxing recreational time at the pool. To me it is always nice when our guests have the pleasure of dining at all of our culinary venues. This way one can have a favorite or two because of that ample variety. Since June we have streamlined the service in our restaurant Lucca to the degree that any service flaw will now be eliminated or minimized. Mr. Ray, I am glad that you and your family had a very nice overall experience and that despite the early rains which limited beach activity, your enjoyment in the pool was at an all time high. Thank you for your comments and from all of us including Alejandro and Manuel we send our hearty best wishes to you and your family in Los Angeles, California. Take care.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This was hands down, the best vacation I've ever had! I was very skeptical about all-inclusives, but this one surpassed all expectations. The resort was clean and beautiful, the services were top notch and the staff was the best I've ever experienced. This was my 5th vacation in Mexico and this was the first time I didn't want to go home. Alejandro was at our beck and call and went out of his way to make sure we were comfortable and had everything we needed. I loved the food and the drinks were premium. I've recommended this resort to every single person who even mentioned needeing a vacation since I've been home. The Thompson crew can't wait to return! Thanks Alejandro for making our trip an unforgettable one. You and the staff at Grand Vela rock!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are ocean front, so you can't go wrong!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
DirectorGVRN, General Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, September 15, 2014
Thank you Constance for giving us the opportunity to dispel your skepticism on all-inclusive resorts. Mind you, Grand Velas should not be boxed in with the typical AI that many people envision when contemplating the subject. The product and service that we provide our valuable guests is of a high-end, superior quality, aimed at the discerning traveler whose expectations are to experience only the best. And I believe that in reading your splendid review we were able to “surpass” every one of your expectations. As a team we are very pleased that you loved the cuisine and the premium beverages that accompany the fine times of a well deserved holiday. The cleanliness of the resort is also an important aspect for us and we strive to have our facilities in immaculate conditions at every moment. I thank you also for taking the moment to personally recognize Alejandro Topete for his excellent contribution to the success of your vacation. I will certainly commend him in person on behalf of the entire “Thompson Crew”. Constance, thank you for your very uplifting comments and you can always have the confidence that your Grand Velas experiences will be to your great expectations. Take care and all the best to the Thompson Crew.

South San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Impeccable service, savory food, tastefully appointed, luxurious rooms, incredible spa, ...I could go on. Jose Ramos (pool concierge), David Aguirre (poolside bar), Miguel Lopez (Azul), Gloria and Maria Carmen (masseuses) combined to make this the most enjoyable trip my wife and I have ever taken. There were innumerable others in passing who always addressed me with a warm smile and pleasant greetings.

Grand Velas was recommended by dear friends who had been here 3 times prior. They raved about the quality of the resort. While I was expecting the experience to not live up to the hype, I cannot wait to "rerave" about Grand Velas to them. After our experience at this resort, we will return to Nuevo Vallarta and we have no need to research other establishments. Grand Velas is where we will stay!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
DirectorGVRN, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Thank you for your cheerful and animated observations. I am pleased that you found our staff to be “wonderful” as it is they that can really make the difference to a successful vacation. Alejandro has been with us in our concierge department for some time now and although he has not made anybody rich that I am aware of, he has made a lot of guests very happy. And Israel is one of the master waiters in Azul who has a certain gift in making correct dining suggestions for his guests. Please know that as a team it pleases us greatly that you enjoyed your vacation tremendously and we thank you also for your solid recommendation of Grand Velas to others. Take care and a special salute to everybody in Benton, Arkansas.
imendozarn@velasresorts.com

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit? Share your experiences!