“Good, but Grand Velas Riviera Maya much better!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit

You added Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit to your Saves list
Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av Cocoteros 98 Sur | Riviera Nayarit, Mexico C.P. 63735, Nuevo Vallarta 63735, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Miami, Florida
“Good, but Grand Velas Riviera Maya much better!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Sorry to write this title, but readers should know that this is a great all inclusive hotel in Nuevo Vallarta, unless you have already been at the one in Riviera Maya (RM Cancun). That one excedes this one in all aspects except service which it is the same Very Good.
As for GV Nuevo Vallarta, service is impeccable. The hotel is much smaller than its sister in RM. The rooms are half the size... Not small, but RM are huge! Surprised that amenities have downgraded in 2 years from Molton Brown to L'Occitane and they also had large sized Molton Brown Soap throughout the property wash rooms... No longer the case! the beach area is less private than in RM as the public beach is side by side... RM also public, but much more secluded.. Food was good and as spoken service impeccable.. Beds are very good and pillows VERY good. towels are very good quality in the pool / beach area and good in the rooms... They will give plenty of towels... The hotel is well maintained and very clean! The Azul Buffet restaurant does not have AC anywhere and having to wear long pants (which I agree of) in all main restaurants, makes having dinner in Azul somewhat warm if you decide not to wear long pants for dinner! Room service is very good, friendly staff and they try to please you all the time.
There are Jet Skies that can be rented 100 yards away as well as parachuting...
The main difference between both properties, is the tours in NV are more "crude nature" and the team of Vallarta Adventures does make the difference!! For that we do not regret coming to this property....
With this review, I have tried to be very objective between both properties and even though I do not regret coming to NV as per the out tours, Cancun will be the destination to go with the Grand Velas team until they open in The Cabos... Hopefully soon...
Enjoy your vacations!!!!

Room Tip: Room 514 (2 queens for my kids) was bigger than 510 (king for my wife and I)... 514 is ok but would...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
DirectorGVRN, General Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, September 20, 2014
Thank you very much Jacques for your insights into the differences of our Grand Velas resorts. Firstly, I do wish to acknowledge and thank you for your loyalty to both resorts. I am pleased that after vacationing in our Riviera Maya complex you felt that you would like to try our option in Riviera Nayarit. But apart from the geographical regions themselves, the two resorts are very distinct products in their own ways. Just as Casa Velas and Velas Vallarta are also unique products in the larger scheme of the group. One can easily research our web page that describes each of the four resorts in great detail, to not only understand the product that each one offers, but also to find the level of luxury, atmosphere and pricing that best suits the perspective guest´s vacationing needs. One point that you touch very nicely on Jacques concerns the consistent level of service that can be expected at either of the two Grand Velas. In spite of infrastructure investment, number of restaurants, luxury items, and the public rates that we charge, I expect that the service level to be of a consistently high quality for the distinguished clientele that both resorts attract and to me that is a firm commitment to our guests. Thank you again Jacques for noticing that valuable characteristic and just to let you know, we do have visions of expanding our unique product and Los Cabos is just one of the sites that we have an interest in. Take care sir and all the best to you and your family in beautiful Miami, Florida.

imendozarn@velasresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

We have not been to an all inclusive in 16 years because we did not like the food or drinks offered. After seeing all the reviews for this resort, we decided to try one more time. IT WAS PERFECT. First of all, Jose Ramos (pool concierge) was so attentive, beyond friendly, and kept the kids' smoothies coming! The hotel should be proud to have Jose on their staff. The pool is beautiful and overlooks the ocean. The restaurants were all very good. The waiter at Frida, Celso, was a favorite of the whole family. All three kids (12-16) had a great time and the 2 activity directors, Javier (so sweet) and Omar, always would try to include them in activities ranging from volleyball to karaoke. Our rooms were large, clean and comfortable. We had a lovely ocean view from our balcony. Grand Velas is a beautiful and we will definitely want to return.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
DirectorGVRN, General Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, September 8, 2014
Colleen, let me tell you how special it is to know that we could demonstrate to you firsthand and in person the trueness of the splendid reviews that you explored in order to convince yourself to try an all-inclusive again. And in particular: Our all-inclusive. We consider ourselves as the vanguard of high end resorts and as a team we are grateful that you chose us to host you and your family of three teenagers. I am especially proud of the employees that you mentioned, because it is for their individual efforts in different aspects of our operation that came together to provide your family with the “perfect” vacation. And that consistency amongst my staff towards our valuable guests is what helps to generate these pleasing reviews. And you have now come full circle with your own review in the TripAdvisor cycle. And you can be assured that Jose, Celso, Javier and Omar will be commended by the administration of the resort for their fine contributions to your family’s happiness this holiday. I hope that you can return again soon in order to reunite with some of your favorite staff that befriended you. And on behalf of all the employees of Grand Velas we wish you and your family a terrific autumn season in Los Angeles, California. All the best!

Redwood City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

My family and I stayed here for 9 days in July and we had one of our most memorable family vacations yet. We have two young boys - ages 5 and 3 - and both had the best time. The activities for kids, movie nights and kids club provided everyone with something they wanted. All of the options allowed for a nice balance between family time, dates and individual relaxation. The resort is clean and beautiful. Spa is world class! Service is outstanding. Food is delicious and presented well. During our stay, we celebrated our anniversary as well as my birthday. The staff went above and beyond to make both occasions special - decorations in room, champagne, chocolate covered strawberries. We couldn't have asked for anything more. Our suite concierge, Cesar Rios, was outstanding. He was very friendly, paid attention to all the details so we didn't have to and went well out of his way to make sure our vacation was everything we had hoped to be. As a result of this experience, we will definitely be returning and will recommend to all of our friends.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors have a gorgeous view of both infinity pool and ocean.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
DirectorGVRN, General Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, September 11, 2014
Thank you very much Alyssa for selecting Grand Velas for your extended family stay this past July. I am particularly pleased that over the nine days in our paradise that you and the little ones were well entertained, pampered and able to dine to your great delight over that span. I am glad that you mention the fine work of Cesar, one of my concierges. He was not only there to cater to your needs, but as you pointed out he embraced your family and went the extra mile so that you could focus on having good times in the pool, Kids club and spa. I must say that for us it is an honor to have been chosen as the resort that helped you in celebrating your two milestones. Those little touches to your suite are our way of making them special occasions indeed. It is very pleasing to us that based on your happy experiences on this holiday that you will continue to visit us in the future. And now that you are veterans of the Grand Velas experience your next stay should be even more remarkable than this one. Thank you for sharing your joyful observations with everybody on TripAdvisor and I hope that your recommendations will help other families in making their future vacation decisions. Take care and we wish you all the best to you and your lovely family in beautiful Redwood City, California.

Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

My family and I stayed here for a week in June and had a great vacation. Everyone working at the hotel was very nice especially Alejandro Arce and Manuel Hernandez whom work at the pool area. They truly went above and beyond to give us excellent service. The food is overall good with great presentation. We ate at all the restaurants and enjoyed the Mexican and French Restaurant as well. The Italian restaurant had good food but missed the service and ambiance that the other two restaurants provided. The pool is beautiful and we enjoyed being by the pool everyday. We are beach lovers, however we did not enjoy the beach here that much. Overall we had a very nice experience.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you very much Mr. Ray for selecting Grand Velas as your family vacation destination this June. It pleases me tremendously that your family had a great vacation with us and that Alejandro and Manuel provided you with excellent service during your relaxing recreational time at the pool. To me it is always nice when our guests have the pleasure of dining at all of our culinary venues. This way one can have a favorite or two because of that ample variety. Since June we have streamlined the service in our restaurant Lucca to the degree that any service flaw will now be eliminated or minimized. Mr. Ray, I am glad that you and your family had a very nice overall experience and that despite the early rains which limited beach activity, your enjoyment in the pool was at an all time high. Thank you for your comments and from all of us including Alejandro and Manuel we send our hearty best wishes to you and your family in Los Angeles, California. Take care.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This was hands down, the best vacation I've ever had! I was very skeptical about all-inclusives, but this one surpassed all expectations. The resort was clean and beautiful, the services were top notch and the staff was the best I've ever experienced. This was my 5th vacation in Mexico and this was the first time I didn't want to go home. Alejandro was at our beck and call and went out of his way to make sure we were comfortable and had everything we needed. I loved the food and the drinks were premium. I've recommended this resort to every single person who even mentioned needeing a vacation since I've been home. The Thompson crew can't wait to return! Thanks Alejandro for making our trip an unforgettable one. You and the staff at Grand Vela rock!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are ocean front, so you can't go wrong!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
DirectorGVRN, General Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, September 15, 2014
Thank you Constance for giving us the opportunity to dispel your skepticism on all-inclusive resorts. Mind you, Grand Velas should not be boxed in with the typical AI that many people envision when contemplating the subject. The product and service that we provide our valuable guests is of a high-end, superior quality, aimed at the discerning traveler whose expectations are to experience only the best. And I believe that in reading your splendid review we were able to “surpass” every one of your expectations. As a team we are very pleased that you loved the cuisine and the premium beverages that accompany the fine times of a well deserved holiday. The cleanliness of the resort is also an important aspect for us and we strive to have our facilities in immaculate conditions at every moment. I thank you also for taking the moment to personally recognize Alejandro Topete for his excellent contribution to the success of your vacation. I will certainly commend him in person on behalf of the entire “Thompson Crew”. Constance, thank you for your very uplifting comments and you can always have the confidence that your Grand Velas experiences will be to your great expectations. Take care and all the best to the Thompson Crew.

South San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Impeccable service, savory food, tastefully appointed, luxurious rooms, incredible spa, ...I could go on. Jose Ramos (pool concierge), David Aguirre (poolside bar), Miguel Lopez (Azul), Gloria and Maria Carmen (masseuses) combined to make this the most enjoyable trip my wife and I have ever taken. There were innumerable others in passing who always addressed me with a warm smile and pleasant greetings.

Grand Velas was recommended by dear friends who had been here 3 times prior. They raved about the quality of the resort. While I was expecting the experience to not live up to the hype, I cannot wait to "rerave" about Grand Velas to them. After our experience at this resort, we will return to Nuevo Vallarta and we have no need to research other establishments. Grand Velas is where we will stay!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
DirectorGVRN, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Thank you for your cheerful and animated observations. I am pleased that you found our staff to be “wonderful” as it is they that can really make the difference to a successful vacation. Alejandro has been with us in our concierge department for some time now and although he has not made anybody rich that I am aware of, he has made a lot of guests very happy. And Israel is one of the master waiters in Azul who has a certain gift in making correct dining suggestions for his guests. Please know that as a team it pleases us greatly that you enjoyed your vacation tremendously and we thank you also for your solid recommendation of Grand Velas to others. Take care and a special salute to everybody in Benton, Arkansas.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This is by far the best all inclusive luxury resort on the Pacific coast. The resort is located on the beautiful sandy beach, which they clean more than once a day. Everything at this resort makes you feel like your visiting your old friends in the luxury surroundings and a friendly atmosphere.
There are 3 things in my opinion that make Grand Velas unique: rooms, food and service. All rooms are suites facing ocean. Lower floors have more garden view and some partial ocean view, higher floors have ocean front and ocean view. All rooms are around 1,000 sq feet, big, comfortable, well designed and well equipped. We stayed in what I believe they call master suite on the 6th floor and had a beautiful view of the ocean from our large balcony. ALL food at 4 restaurants is gourmet. All alcohol is premium bar. The main restaurant that is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner is a buffet style but not just a traditional buffet - it has a gourmet menu that is creative and a good quality. 24 hours room service is great and the service you get at the beach is very friendly and attentive. This is a family friendly resort they have an outstanding kids programs. Although, I prefer adults only resorts, I would come back here anytime.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a higher floor. Make sure to try all 3 dinner restaurants.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your very positive and descriptive review. I am pleased that you took note of the various aspects of quality that we strive for in Grand Velas. Every one of our spacious suites was designed for luxurious comfort using the finest quality in bedding, electronics and amenities such as L´Occitane personal products and Nespresso machines that complement our included servi-bar. I am always pleased when our guests have the time during their vacation to dine at all of our culinary centers as well as suite service dining. The variety that we provide whether it is breakfast, lunch or dinner is not only very ample, but of great quality and freshness as you so kindly mentioned. I thank you as well for your kind kudos on our service. The young men and women that take care of our guests throughout the resort are very dedicated to your well-being and comfort and know that they can go the extra mile in doing their part to provide their guests more than they could have imagined from an all-inclusive resort. I hope that you will be able to find or create the opportunity to return to the place that you consider “amazing”, while always knowing that our 530 employees are here to professionally serve you. Thank you again for your marvelous insights and on behalf of all of us here at Grand Velas I send you our finest greetings to you in beautiful Chicago, Illinois. Take care.

imendozarn@velasresorts.com

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit? Share your experiences!