“outstanding!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit

You added Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit to your Saves list
Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av Cocoteros 98 Sur | Riviera Nayarit, Mexico C.P. 63735, Nuevo Vallarta 63735, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Minneapolis
“outstanding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Beautiful grounds, top notch service, great drinks/food, spacious rooms. Everything is so well maintained and kept - just pleasure looking around and admiring views - infinity pool, balconies covered in blooming flowers, gold fish in tiny ponds throughout property... etc etc. Our 6 year old liked kids club. Everyone was so friendly and atmosphere was very relaxing. Spa is great, it had unique ritual I enjoyed a lot and I also liked Carita products line. We will definetly be back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Velas M, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you for taking the time to share your experience during your last stay with us at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit. I’m very happy to know that you enjoyed our restaurants, services and facilities; we hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you again, and see for yourselves our every day improvements,

Best Regards!

imendoza@grandvelas.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Orting, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

My husband and I traveled here with his colleagues for an "Achiever's Club" type trip. The service from check-in to check-out was fabulous. We enjoyed all the restaurants, great service at all, but the best service was from the pool concierges, where we spent most of our time. They all were fabulous! The gym was spacious and well-appointed for a hotel gym. It even had dumbbells up to 50#, a Smith machine, and a barbell with a modest amount of weight plates available. 5 stars for that! The spa was absolutely amazing - I had the best massage of my life! If you book a spa treatment definitely make time to check in 60 minutes before as recommended for the hydrotherapy treatment, or "car wash" as one of our group dubbed it. The pool was amazing - so relaxing and welcome to have SUN after our dull rainy Pacific Northwest winter. The staff handled all our group events very well, and even accommodated last minute request for large group dinners in the restaurants. The only downside was a bug my husband and I seem to have picked up the last day. As we did spend some time outside the resort I can't pinpoint where we might have picked it up. All in all, a fabulous hotel - thank you!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We would like to express we are really thankful for your comments and recognition, it is great that you enjoyed all the services and facilities.

Please feel free to get in touch with our concierge services before your next arrival therefore we can make sure to have everything ready for you.

Best Regards!

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

A fabulous property with excellent service! Would go there again in a heartbeat!
Had gone there with kids/grand kids to celebrate my 60 th bday. The management offered me a free spa treatment which I thought was extremely generous!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your preference and for making us part of your celebration. I am glad to know that you and your family enjoy all our services and facilities.

We are looking forward to welcome you again in a near future.

Sincerely!!

Beaumont, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I vacationed at Grand Velas and had a wonderful time. The staff was outstanding and catered to our every need. There were activities for us to enjoy throughout the day. I am a very picky eater, so I did not care for the food too much. However, my husband loved it. Overall, I enjoyed my stay and I would definitely go back.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the staff at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit we thank you for all your compliments. We are really glad to have had the opportunity of serving you.

Please do not hesitate in contacting me for any further information.

Sincerely!

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This is my first ever TripAdvisor review. I am writing it only to warn Tripadvisor readers about this resort. Like many, I use Tripadvisor very regularly to gauge whether a hotel or resort is truly good. That was exactly what I did prior to booking a very expensive vacation with Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit. It had tremendous and overwhelmingly positive reviews so I thought "fantastic, it's worth the money! Let's go there!" My sisters and I were going for a very special sisters relaxation getaway. Anyone who works hard know just how hard it is to take vacation and you want that vacation to be relaxing.
This vacation was anything but relaxing for two reasons - CONVENTIONS AT THE HOTEL and HORRIBLE HOTEL MANAGEMENT. Because a Telecom convention was at the hotel during our stay, they were given carte blanche to have concerts outside that went until 2am with music so loud it shook the patio doors to the rooms. They also set up massive systems of amplifiers next to the pool blaring Akon and dance music ALL DAY, coupled with an MC screaming into a microphone. It was so loud you had to shout to be heard by a person sitting next to you. To add insult to injury, the conference did a team building exercise featuring salsa dancing at the other end of the pool, blaring salsa music with yet another MC screaming into a microphone. There was literally no escaping it. Dozens and dozens of couples and families around the pool were irate and at their wits end. What did the hotel do about it, even with dozens of paying guests literally BEGGING them to have it turned down? Absolutely nothing. In order to placate us, they promised to credit us two nights stay and sent us to the spa to get away from the noise. Ok, fine. At least you are trying. Or so I thought. Surprise surprise when we went to check out, NO notes of the promised room night credits or even spa credits. They had actually already charged the entire stay to my credit card and were now trying to charge me with all the incidentals. Of course, Ixchel and Radolfo, the concierge that had promised the credits and the general manager were no where to be found. This was not the worst of it. After 30 minutes of arguing, they PRETENDED to credit my AMEX back for the two nights, but the CREDIT NEVER APPEARED ON MY AMEX BILL. Just all the charges they made without my signature or authorization. Ixchel and Radolfo, I hold you both personally responsible. Trust me Tripadvisor readers, we were not the only ones. This hotel has no respect for its guests whatsoever. The exact same thing was happening to another family who was checking out right next to us. I am giving them one star for a single reason: the staff at the hotel is absolutely wonderful. Sergio at Piaf, the waitstaff at Azul, the buffet restaurant, and the pool side staff are all wonderfully friendly and fantastic. It was the single shining light in an otherwise horrible overall experience. Staff fantastic. Management HORRIBLE. They do not deserve their five diamond rating. For the money you would spend here, stay at the Four Seasons. HUGELY DISAPPOINTING.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Velas M, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your patronage. The feedback of our guest is crucial for us in order to constantly improve in our service.

Please rest assure that all your suggestions are going to be considered. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the noise inconvenience.

Sincerely!

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Grand Velas Riviera Maya 2 years ago and were absolutely thrilled with the resort and service. We were made to feel special from the moment that we arrived. We were very excited to try the Nayarit property this time. When we arrived at the Nayarit property we were shown to a room on the 2nd floor with no view. We had booked our vacation 6 months in advance and paid dearly for a penthouse suite becaue we love the ocean views. When we pointed out the mistake and showed them our reservation documents we were told that the room we booked was not available and that the room we were shown to was an "upgrade". I knew better because I had investgated the room types thoroughly and chose the one I thought would be best for us as we were traveling with 2 teenage sons. I had to make 3 expensive international phone calls to my travel agent who called funjet vacations and they called the hotel. After waitng in the lobby for over an hour we were suddenly told that they had "found" our room. I went from relaxed and enjoying my family to being upset and stressed out as soon as we got the the hotel. There was a convention going on at that time in the hotel and I am very suspicious that they were trying to give our room to one of the convention attendees as they were mexican and we are not. the other big issue was pool chairs. My husband and I like to get up early and actually sit by the pool to enjoy the peace and quiet in the mornings. I noticed when I came downstairs at 7:30 am to sit down that most of the chairs were taken but no one was sitting in them. Sometimes these saved chairs would be empty until 1pm! I couldnt figure this out because I never saw any hotel guests actually saving the chairs. By the 3rd day I figued out that many people were paying the pool staff who arrive by 6am to put objects in the chairs for them. I would then see mothers later in the day desperately searching for somewhere to sit with their small children with all of these "saved" chairs with a tube of sunscreen in them. I have never seen this so blatantly at any other hotel that I have stayed in and I was very disappointed that nothing is done about this. I saw some of the pool staff making a fortune this way. One morning when my husband did actually secure 2 chairs(for all 4 of us!) one of the pool staff came up to us and tried to get us to move. I guessed that he was paid to save the chairs the night before and we got to them before he did. I am sorry to spend so much time talking about this but it almost ruined our vacation. We do not go on vacation to get up with the birds so that we can sit by the pool! Just beware of coming to this hotel during a convention. The positives were that the food was excellent and the service staff was wonderful when we had our meals. Rooms are spacious and clean but the resort needs updating. We will not be returning to this hotel.

Room Tip: higher floors in the center of the hotel for best views
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Velas M, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to express your vacation experience. Off course it is never pleasant to hear that one of our guests has encountered dissatisfaction during their stay. Your comments had been seriously appreciated and taken upon concern.

I would really appreciate that you give us the opportunity to host you again and to probe you that we have improve in all our areas.

Once again thank you very much for choosing us.

Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Booked on their website and paid a very large sum of money (almost $4k) for a romantic 4 night stay in Mexico with my girlfriend in a Penthouse suite.

The over-the-top suite was meant to be a surprise for her, as she thought we were simply getting a normal room. It was the perfect plan. Until it was ruined when we checked in.

1. Bungled the room. Upon checking in, was informed that the room I wanted was 'not available, due to a leak' (Note: they were very full and I suspect they had double booked the room on me, which honestly bothered me for the rest of the stay). Rather than handing me the check-in sheet to sign, the person checking me in loudly announced the outstanding balance and the room type that I was not even getting. "The remaining balance is two thousand eight hundred us dollars" which made my partners eyes almost bulge out of her sockets. Then instead of shuttling us off to the beautiful penthouse suite, we were put in a 2 bedroom apartment with a much smaller deck and an entire second bedroom we didn't use and a whistling vent in the bedroom that kept us awake all night. Totally ruined the surprise, didn't get what I paid for half the stay, and had to change rooms mid-way is something you do not want to do after paying almost $900 a night.

2. The Food. My beautiful girl is vegan and I prefer not to eat meat. Breakfast and lunch every day consist of a buffet. Tip: do not do the lunch buffet after about 2.30PM, nothing will be fresh. The hotel food service is very mexican. Every salad contained cheese, even the 'vegetables' in the lunch buffet contained cheese. We got sick of eating at the lunch buffet after about day 2. This has not been the case at previous 5 star all-inclusives in Mexico. Breakfast was easier than lunch and there was more fresher, made to order options available. Dinner at the various restaurants was quite good but once you've been to them all its really the same menu items just themed differently. The food is obviously catering to a Mexican audience, I don't think they understand the concept of imaginative and healthy veg options, which for a supposed 5 star hotel is very unfortunate. My girl was told numerous times when requesting just guacamole and chips quite firmly 'We do not make guacamole.'

3. Money stolen. On day 2 my girl had $60 cash stolen from her purse which she intentionally hid inside her luggage to prevent from happening. It's not a lot of money but the idea that the help are going through your stuff puts a damper on the rest of your stay. She was livid. We reported it and nothing came from it. I could write more about this but make sure you use the safe.

4. Service - I raised all of the major disappointments very politely and diplomatically with the on duty supervisor/manager. He apologised and then went on to defend themselves, as well as hinting that I should have paid in full up front if i didn't want them to announce the outstanding balance upon checkin (which didn't appear to even appear as an option when checking in on the website). This is the type of rhetoric you would never see at a real 5 or 6 star hotel. He was polite but did not offer any concessions, certainly offering a complimentary spa package to ensure our experience was more enjoyable did not seem to occur to him. A thoughtful gesture like this could have definitely smoothed over our stay and effectively cost the hotel nothing. The rest of the staff, particularly the concierge, we were quite happy with the service however.

Overall I gave 2 stars because due to these numerous failures, after reporting them to the on-duty supervisor, they failed to address them. This is simply unacceptable, and if they had, this review could have been avoided.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit? Share your experiences!