“Wedding chaos” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit

You added Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit to your Saves list
Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av Cocoteros 98 Sur | Riviera Nayarit, Mexico C.P. 63735, Nuevo Vallarta 63735, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #2 of 26 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
“Wedding chaos”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My husband and I decided to host our wedding in Puerto Vallarta as this is one of our favorite places to vacation. We had stayed at Grand Velas previously and were impressed by the service, food and staff. The absolute best part of this hotel is the staff. They go above and beyond to be helpful and service here is perfect. Having tried a few other hotels, we decided Grand Velas would be the best place for our guests. Although it was a bit more expensive than other places, we felt our guests would appreciate the extra service and beautiful hotel grounds.
Now, for the wedding.... We decided to only host 3 parties here and have our wedding off site due to restrictions on hours. The wedding has to end by midnight at the hotel, which was not an option for us. I thought that since the service was so good, hosting a beach party, spa party and farewell brunch should be quite easy. However, I was VERY MISTAKEN. I had 3 different wedding planners. After emailing the second one 6 times with no response (3 weeks went by), I decided to call and see why I couldn't get a response. When I called, I was told, "oh, she doesn't work here anymore"...SERIOUSLY... Was anyone going to tell me or email me or respond to my messages? I was told they would get the new coordinator to call me back. We arranged a time... No call. I emailed and was told they did try to call, but i didnt answer....? I called and set another time... No call. This time I emailed at that time and said that I was sitting by the phone waiting for a call and magically, the phone rang. Speaking to the new coordinator it was obvious she did not have all the details that the previous coordinator and I had decided on, and all our guests' reservations were mixed up. At this point I decided I would have to fly to puerto Vallarta to organize everything in person. When I did this, Geraldine,the new coordinator was extremely professional and organized and had everything detailed (with a few errors that were corrected easily) on paper. I felt much more at ease knowing she was involved. After this I did not worry about it until 2 weeks before the wedding. At this time I emailed again with no response, but eventually a few days before the wedding I was contacted. They assured everything was ready. Upon arrival, our guests were to receive a gift bag and bottle of wine from us that would be placed in their rooms. When we arrived we found out none of the guests had received the wine, a few didn't get their bag. When brought to their attention, they assured it would be fixed. They would "personally deliver" to rooms. It wasn't 2 hours after this conversation that 2 groups of guests arrived, were then taken to the wrong rooms, had to wait 1 hour to be accommodated in the correct rooms... And of course did not receive their bag or their wine upon arrival.
Overall,the end result and actual events turned out fantastic. The food was great and service was excellent. However, the organization and communication leaves a lot to be desired. It is the details that make the difference, and this is where they are lacking.
Grand Velas Is a great place to stay when visiting this area, but not the ideal place for a wedding. Although Geraldine is kind and amazingly patient (much to her credit she remained composed and tolerate my rants about disorganization with amazing grace), I think she would benefit from having a bit more help and improved communication with the staff.
We got there in the end, but unfortunately it required a significant amount of prompting, supervision and showing up early to ensure things were set up. I would have liked to be a bit more relaxed during my wedding week, but the events were amazing.
Thank you Geraldine and Grand Velas for an unforgettable week and for putting up with our need for perfection.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Accommodations: This hotel has everything you could want. Everything was immaculate inside and out including the beach. The food was fresh and delicious. The drinks were top-shelf liquor. The servers were courteous and happy. They genuinely like their job and want to please.

I cannot say enough positive things about this resort. I will definitely be back.

If they want to improve, they could include free wi-fi..... At least the wi-fi that we paid for was quick and reliable.

Room Tip: I would have given 5 stars for sleep quality because the mattress and pillows were awesome, but we w...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ixchel M, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Dear Guest.

First of all, thank you for your preference and for the time you have taken to post your comments regarding your visit to our resort. Our staff will be satisfied to know your appreciation.
Please keep in touch with us for any further information or assistance.

Looking forward to welcome you again soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

The hotel is Amazing. From the moment we arrived we felt like royalty. The grounds and pools are amazing, the room was nice, clean and very large, the food was Incredible. I knew that other people had given the food good reviews, but I was blown away. All of the restaurants were Wonderful, room service was fantastic, and everything arrived hot and tasty. The staff of Grand Velas was Exceptional; Oscar at Frida was so cool, he made us real Mexican Coffee, best presentation we have ever seen. Carlos at the pool went above and beyond every day; he made sure we were taken care of all day long. I can't say enough about Carlos, his laugh is contagious so if you are lucky enough to be in his section you will have a wonderful time. Israel G. at the buffet was a spectacular waiter, every morning when we came into to eat their fabulous breakfast he remembered what we wanted asked if wanted anything else, he was great!

We can’t say enough about Grand Velas, they made our honeymoon incredible.

Room Tip: We upgraded to the Ambassador Suite. It was worth it especially for couples who want private time o...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the staff of Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, we thank you for taking the time to express your experience during your stay with us. It was an honor to be part of such a special celebration. It is very nice to know that you enjoyed every minute since you arrived to our marvelous hotel.

All of us are hopping to have the pleasure to host you again at this your home away from home.

Please keep in touch with our Concierge Services for any assistance on your next visit.

Dix Hills, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

After a truly amazing and wonderful experience for New Year's 2011 at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, we thought we'd venture to Nuevo Vallara to celebrate New Year's 2012. Well it wasn't a venture, it was a horrible adventure. While the property and staff (especially Josue helping us at the beach and all of the concierges) were quite lovely, the "beach front" property location could not be any worse. Fighting for a lounge chair was bad enough, but having large local families, and their pets, camped out in front of the ropes (see pictures) for entire day picnics and hanging their laundry, wet towels and bathing suits made it feel more like a Coney Island public beach. Entrance to the "free public beaches" is right next to the property.

According to their website, "Discover the most luxurious all-inclusive resort in the Puerto Vallarta area; a retreat of lavish beauty and comfort that is sure to exceed your expectations." "Feast your eyes on beauty in every direction from the moment you arrive..." "We welcome you to our peaceful refuge, where your spirit will be refreshed by Five Diamond service and the best accommodations...". The property - yes. The rooms - yes. The staff - yes. New Year's Eve celebration - yes. The restaurants - yes. Unfortunately, the beach was terrible and took away from what could have been a very nice vacation. Feast your eyes on these pictures and decide for yourself. I couldn't recommend anyone to go to this property.... but would highly recommend the Grand Velas Riviera Maya.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Ixchel M, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know your experience. I will make sure to share your nice comments to all the concierge and to Josue.
I really hope to have the honor to host you again and pamper you as you deserved.

Kauai, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've been here 2 times and each time I have been treated like a princess... every need is taken care of promplty by this wonderful attentive staff. The all iinclusive food is very high end and delicious! The pool is simple beatuiful and we (the girls) named the place where one can be partailly submerged while lying down THE LEDGE. All of the restaraunts were deliscious. I frefered the Italian one the best!! Their spa is a whole experience in itself!!!
Just go!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are great and have views but the room that's the far left and closest to the ocean is...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the staff of Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit we thank you for your nice comments and for choosing us. It is great to know that you enjoyed every minute at our resort. Please rest assures that I will let everybody know about your recognition, it is always pleasant to hear we have accomplish one of our main goals.

We hope to have the honor to host you again in the near future.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

My 8 night stay in this amazingly beautiful hotel was the best birthday present i could have asked for! The staff was awesome. The knew our names the first day and didn't ever forget them, and they were always on the spot when our drinks were empty :) The activities center was really fun. They have something going on at the hotel all day long and the guys who run it are great! I thought the food was amazing and the restaurants had great atmosphere! The lobby bar has an awesome live band every night with great bar staff. The view from our room was amazing. Being in the bay surrounded by the Sierra Madre mountains was something i will never forget. I will go back to this hotel time and time again.

Room Tip: My room was great and i don't think you could get a bad room. Of course you get a better view i...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest.

We truly thank you for your preference, we are very glad to know that you had a fantastic time at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit. Once again thank you for making us part of your birthday. I hope to have the pleasure to see you again next year to celebrate with you such an important day!!
We appreciate your very kind comment; please keep in touch with us for any further information.

Sincerely!

Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Place is spectacular! Been all over the world and have never experienced this kind service.

Miguel & Francisco in the pool are were top notch.
Tony and Ever provided spectacular activities although they could improve their ping pong play ;)
Luis in Frida and Ronaldo in Piaf were professional, entertaining and provided many enjoyable evenings with top notch fare.
Spectacular experience all around. Be sure to check out Vallarta Adventures - great outdoor experiences to check out.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for giving us the opportunity to be part of your vacation. We appreciate your nice comments. I will make sure to congratulate Tony, Ever Forever, Miguel, Francisco, Luis and Ronaldo for such a great work!

I hope to welcome you back again in a near future, and make you feel better than at home.
Sincerely!

imendoza@grandvelas.com

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit? Share your experiences!