My husband and I decided to host our wedding in Puerto Vallarta as this is one of our favorite places to vacation. We had stayed at Grand Velas previously and were impressed by the service, food and staff. The absolute best part of this hotel is the staff. They go above and beyond to be helpful and service here is perfect. Having tried a few other hotels, we decided Grand Velas would be the best place for our guests. Although it was a bit more expensive than other places, we felt our guests would appreciate the extra service and beautiful hotel grounds.
Now, for the wedding.... We decided to only host 3 parties here and have our wedding off site due to restrictions on hours. The wedding has to end by midnight at the hotel, which was not an option for us. I thought that since the service was so good, hosting a beach party, spa party and farewell brunch should be quite easy. However, I was VERY MISTAKEN. I had 3 different wedding planners. After emailing the second one 6 times with no response (3 weeks went by), I decided to call and see why I couldn't get a response. When I called, I was told, "oh, she doesn't work here anymore"...SERIOUSLY... Was anyone going to tell me or email me or respond to my messages? I was told they would get the new coordinator to call me back. We arranged a time... No call. I emailed and was told they did try to call, but i didnt answer....? I called and set another time... No call. This time I emailed at that time and said that I was sitting by the phone waiting for a call and magically, the phone rang. Speaking to the new coordinator it was obvious she did not have all the details that the previous coordinator and I had decided on, and all our guests' reservations were mixed up. At this point I decided I would have to fly to puerto Vallarta to organize everything in person. When I did this, Geraldine,the new coordinator was extremely professional and organized and had everything detailed (with a few errors that were corrected easily) on paper. I felt much more at ease knowing she was involved. After this I did not worry about it until 2 weeks before the wedding. At this time I emailed again with no response, but eventually a few days before the wedding I was contacted. They assured everything was ready. Upon arrival, our guests were to receive a gift bag and bottle of wine from us that would be placed in their rooms. When we arrived we found out none of the guests had received the wine, a few didn't get their bag. When brought to their attention, they assured it would be fixed. They would "personally deliver" to rooms. It wasn't 2 hours after this conversation that 2 groups of guests arrived, were then taken to the wrong rooms, had to wait 1 hour to be accommodated in the correct rooms... And of course did not receive their bag or their wine upon arrival.
Overall,the end result and actual events turned out fantastic. The food was great and service was excellent. However, the organization and communication leaves a lot to be desired. It is the details that make the difference, and this is where they are lacking.
Grand Velas Is a great place to stay when visiting this area, but not the ideal place for a wedding. Although Geraldine is kind and amazingly patient (much to her credit she remained composed and tolerate my rants about disorganization with amazing grace), I think she would benefit from having a bit more help and improved communication with the staff.
We got there in the end, but unfortunately it required a significant amount of prompting, supervision and showing up early to ensure things were set up. I would have liked to be a bit more relaxed during my wedding week, but the events were amazing.
Thank you Geraldine and Grand Velas for an unforgettable week and for putting up with our need for perfection.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the most luxurious all-inclusive resort in the Puerto Vallarta area; a retreat of lavish beauty and comfort that is sure to exceed your expectations. Having revolutionized the all-inclusive concept, Grand Velas is pleased to offer you a "Beyond All Inclusive, Beyond All Compare" vacation experience with exceptional gourmet dining, world-class hospitality, and luxurious accommodations in a spectacular setting on Mexico's golden coast. Experience a breathtaking resort and spa near Puerto Vallarta that seduces your senses and rejuvenates your spirit. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, BookIt.com, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Booking.com and Tingo so you can book your Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Velas All Hotel Nuevo Vallarta
- Grand Velas All Suites And Spa Resort
- Grand Velas Hotel
- Grand Velas Nuevo Vallarta
- Grand Velas Vallarta