“Quality of Food & Experience Together is WOW!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sonora Al Sur

Sonora Al Sur
Enfrente de Universidad Technical | Boulevard Nuevo Vallarta, No. 64, Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Seattle
“Quality of Food & Experience Together is WOW!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I don't know that I would have found this gem, had it not been from having a buddy who is born and bred local. Yet, the bilingual staff and green-foodie concept were totally accessible and perfect for me, an admitted gringa cuisina snob from Seattle. Initially, I was suspect about this roadside oasis, across from a gas station, on outskirts of touristy area. It took a minute, but I was won over. First, the friendly welcome and enthusiasm for service were appreciated. And then I love that you can determine the exact portion of your carne component of your meal, and that there is so much concern and effort placed on how the beef is sourced. This was not only good for my conscience, but lovely on my palate and my tummy afterwards. I was presented with numerous options for cuts of meat- and based on my budget, went with a mid-range. I could order the exact amount I wanted (and offered assistance in calculating from ounces to grams). I'm not sure if it's the pedigree of the beef, the preparation, the grilling method, or possibly an effect of the generous cool mist in the atmosphere- but this was at least a cut above expected. The steak was super tender and tasty, and all accompaniments were perfectly prepared. My vegetarian daughter was even quite happy here, with her nicely mixed salad and mindfully dressed potato. The selection of drinks was fine (primarily beer and soda), the flan dessert that we chose from cooler was excellent, and the service- for a semi-self-serve sort of place- was exceptional. Even though we ordered and paid at the counter, the greeter/server (whose name is eluding me) provided attentive service throughout the meal, refreshing drinks and offering non-toxic bug spray when I was slapping no-see-ums at my ankles. I appreciated his enthusiasm for the environmental friendliness of the concept, as he shared with us that his experience in other tourist restaurants left him disturbed by the amount of waste from the portioning, and the genuine concern he showed in our experience and pride in the quality of the food. My friend, my daughter, and I- all left this experience eager to return. It was the sort of meal that leaves you perfectly satisfied, not overfilled, and feeling happy for the experience and appreciative for the reasonable price. We'll be back!!

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Holland, Ohio
“Best Tacos Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

We had dinner at Sonora Al Sur on our last night in Nuevo Vallarta. This was a great casual dining experience with a real local flavor. We sat outside in the beautiful weather with fans blowing water cooled air around us to keep us comfortable. We had the best tacos ever. Jordi made us feel welcome and was very helpful in determining what and how much to order. We ordered two types of beef, which they cut into strips and grilled, and cheese to put on the tacos. They provided all the fresh tortillas we could eat as well as delicious salsas. Everyone enjoyed every minute of the meal and experience. One daughter ate tacos for the first time and loved them. The owner, chefs and waiters were incredibly friendly and helpful. When we return to Nuevo Vallarta, we will return to Sonora Al Sur...at least once. The total cost for eight of us, excluding beverages and tip, was less than $50 and we ate 26 tacos! Be sure to try this restaurant, you won't regret it!

• Visited June 2012