“Beyond the taco: gourmet Mexican fare with deluxe service” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Fairly new restaurant in the Grupo Mayan/VIDA complex. Excellent traditional Mexican specialties.
Vancouver, Canada
“Beyond the taco: gourmet Mexican fare with deluxe service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Epazote is the high end Mexican resto in the Vidanta (formerly 'Mayan') resort chain, and the dinner we had there was mouthwateringly delicious. Expect US/Canadian prices. Having had an enormous and late lunch, we skipped the starters which ranged from a variety of ceviche to guacamole made at the table, and went straight to the mains: a 'pibil' for me (pulled port stew which makes your usual pulled pork look like Spam, flavour-wise), and a lamb stew slow cooked in some sort of parchment paper-like leaf for my wife. I managed to coax one bite out of her, and it was the best lamb stew I've had (and I've had a tons).

We shared a guava themed dessert (ice-cream, guava compote and guave paste roll) so good we were grabbing each others' spoons to make sure niether got more than their fair share.
All together, with a medium Pelligrino, and two glasses of pricey ZInfandel (M$135 each), the bill came to about $80 USD before tip. The service was impeccable but friendly, in a classic Mexican way (lots of laughs). The Chef even sent us an extra dessert to compensate for what HE thought was too long a wait for our main courses (we didn't think it was excessive).

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

89% Recommend
North Vancouver, Canada
“Enrique Garcia Goes the Extra Mile”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Yes, I am biased, as a Grand Luxxe member, but for many reasons this is my favorite restaurant in Nuevo Vallarta. The service is impeccable, especially from Socrates our dedicated waiter. As diners, we present a challlenge, as I am lactose and gluten intolerant and I sometimes travel with friends or family who have life-threatening food allergies, but chef Enrique and his staff always takes special care with our meals. The menu is a great introduction to Mexican regional cuisine, we enjoy the Mexican treat festival antojito, a great way to try four different small bites. The sea bass, and snapper Veracruz are excellent, as are the braised short ribs and lamb mixiote. Hoping they put the flourless chocolate caked with a hint of chile on the regular menu, but the postre selection is great. The sorbets especially the jaimaica made from hibiscus flowers is very tasty.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Mission, Canada
“High end Mexican”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

The wait staff was extremely knowledgeable and helpful in food selections and the food more than delivered in taste and presentation.

Visited November 2012
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Outstanding service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I realized in Mexico that is really difficult to find a place where you can eat mexican food. Most of the time, you would get a lot of tacos, quesadillas, etc.
Here I discovered things like the Huauzontles, squashblossom sauce, Tampiqueña with nopales, Xnipek sauce, etc (I prefer not to clarify what they are because I´m expecting for you to give it a try) The greatest thing of eating that kind of food is that waiters demonstrated me that every chosen dish has a history related with mexican culture.
I totally recommend the guacamole because they prepare it in front of you (it taste better).

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Morristown, NJ
“Excellent Regional Mexican”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

Quite surprised this fine restaurant is not rated higher but it is somewhat difficult to get to if you are not staying on the Mayan properties. The restaurant is nestled in part of the Grande Luxxe tower one in a very comfortable setting. Indoor and patio seating available. We ate there two nights this week and were very impressed with the food and service. The second night was a prix fixe tasting menu accompanied by wines from Mexico, the experience was world class. As an aside, some very nice wine is made in northern Mexico and it was a pleasant experience to see the cuisines matched with these wines.